New Home Theater Setup

F

Fungui

Enthusiast
I will be purchasing all new home theater equipment this winter, and am needing some advice. I will post pics of the space when I get home from work. The room is roughly 25 X 12, and has complete light control available. The ceiling is about 7.5 to 8ft high. My complete budget which needs to buy a projector, screen, receiver, bluray player, and surround sound setup is $10,000.

I am pretty set on a JVC Procision Series 3D 4K Projector - DLA-X500R, but am open to suggestions. I'd like to have at least 4k upscaling, and this seems to be the only options within my price range.

I'd like to have a fixed screen, I don't mind it hanging on the wall at all times. I have heard that retractable screens end up sagging or getting wrinkled. Also, how big of a screen is recommended?

As for the surround sound I am pretty open to options, I was considering something like the $5,000 5.2 channel setup as documented here: $5,000 5.2 Channel Recommended Home Theater System | Audioholics

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fungui

Enthusiast
P1010728.jpgP1010729.jpg

P1010730.jpg
The built-ins along the wall are coming out, and the carpet/paneling are being ripped out as well. Thoughts on flooring/wall treatments?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
For $5000 I would go with

VTF-3 MK4 DualDrive Package $1500
front 3- Ascend sierra 2's surrounds ascend sierra 1's total around $2800
then that leaves $700 for a receiver which should be plenty, I would find one on sale when you are ready to buy, useless to look now since in the winter they will all be different prices and different units available...

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
For the best experience you will likely want to look into room treatments. Might want to work that into your budget.

If you are at all handy you can put together sound panels rather easily. (DIY)

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
With the AH $5000 system, the speakers recommended are a very good option. Around Thanksgiving the EmpTek folks run amazing sales and you can snag the lot for much less than currently advertised.

ImcLoud has suggested a very good system. From personal experience I can say the Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2 are very dynamic and uncolored speakers. I would argue that the Sierra 1 is overkill for surround duty (though some use the Sierra 2 for surrounds). Instead, the CMB170 makes a good budget substitute.

If you take the Ascend CMB170 for surrounds, the budget for the LCR opens up a little. The Philharmonic Audio "Slim" Tower and Center are worth looking into.

Last but not the least, the wood paneling looks great but it will make the room very reverberant in the treble (aka. speakers will sound treble heavy). Plan on having room treatments to tame this aspect. These can be DIY'd cheaply. Companies like Auralex, GIK Acoustics and Real Traps have you to send in room characteristics and get custom recommendations.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I agree the sierras are over kill for effect speakers, but I figure if the budget is there, may as well have them all matching, lol... form before function in this case, well kind of since they will function perfectly, so more like form and function for a price...

F

Fungui

Enthusiast
Thanks for all of the input so far, I will look into the suggested speakers! I'll likely go the DIY route for the sound treatments, I will have to make them look "wife-approved." Any suggestions for screens that I should look into?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for all of the input so far, I will look into the suggested speakers! I'll likely go the DIY route for the sound treatments, I will have to make them look "wife-approved." Any suggestions for screens that I should look into?
There are companies that do acoustic panels with art prints on them. They look good.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis