new here, speaker question

J

jkgsxr

Junior Audioholic
Hello im a new member to the forum but have been lurking around reading posts for a few years. I currently have a onkyo ht-r510 receiver/htib speakers with a velodyne 8 in sub in place of the one that came with the htib speakers. I have been looking to upgrade my speakers/receiver and have auditioned a few tower speakers. I listened to a few at best buy magnolia, a few different polks not impressed, definative tech 8040 sounded terriable in my opinion, energy cf 50 and cf 70 I liked the sound of them but were lacking a bit in the low end, nothing a sub cant make up for. B@w 683 sounded ok but very laid back and flat. I also listened to a few at a somewhat local "stereo shop" polk rtia9 sounded ok but felt like I was still looking for more and energy veritas v6.3 really liked the way they sounded compared to anything else I had listened to at that point.
My question is what other speakers are comparable, or better in sound to the energy veritas in there price range or less. 800 ea. For the 6.3's. Also was looking at the emp e55ti towers, how would they compare to the v6.3 ?
Thanks in advance.

S

SearchofSub

Banned
Hello im a new member to the forum but have been lurking around reading posts for a few years. I currently have a onkyo ht-r510 receiver/htib speakers with a velodyne 8 in sub in place of the one that came with the htib speakers. I have been looking to upgrade my speakers/receiver and have auditioned a few tower speakers. I listened to a few at best buy magnolia, a few different polks not impressed, definative tech 8040 sounded terriable in my opinion, energy cf 50 and cf 70 I liked the sound of them but were lacking a bit in the low end, nothing a sub cant make up for. B@w 683 sounded ok but very laid back and flat. I also listened to a few at a somewhat local "stereo shop" polk rtia9 sounded ok but felt like I was still looking for more and energy veritas v6.3 really liked the way they sounded compared to anything else I had listened to at that point.
My question is what other speakers are comparable, or better in sound to the energy veritas in there price range or less. 800 ea. For the 6.3's. Also was looking at the emp e55ti towers, how would they compare to the v6.3 ?
Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the forum.

Tekton Lore-S would be a good choice. They get rave reviews everywhere. Also, if your gonna have a sub running to cover the low end, I suggest waiting for the Ascend Sierra 2's with RAAL tweeters rumored to be out sometime soon. But for towers, I would go with the Tekton Lore-S. Very hifi speakers that gets compared to $10,000 towers..

N

NewHTbuyer

Audioholic
The E55i sounded very good, especially for the price. I heard them briefly in my own house when a forum member brought them over. They were close to, but not quite equal to the $2,000/pair sets they were going against, but at less than half the cost. Others to consider in that price range are ARX A5, HTD level 3 towers, Aperion Versus Forte, PSB Image or Imagine, Paradigm Monitor line, Kef Q900...

Also, you might find this thread interesting:

The Official $1,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Internet direct is going to give you your best value...

Check out SVS, HSU, and Rythmic for your subwoofers
then Ascend Acoustics, EMP, HSU, ect. for your speakers... Rite now there are a lot of good deals on Focal towers and bookshelfs at musicdirect.com and accessories4less.com, I like the sound of the ascend acoustics 340se's but they are not finished as well as a lot of other brands..

Also if them "best buy" speakers tortured you, you may want to look at the Wharfedale Diamond series, they are much warmer and not as aggressive as most of the stuff you hear in stores....
good luck and welcome...

S

SearchofSub

Banned
Wharefedale Crystal actually sounds pretty good with UMC-200 preamp.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Welcome to the forum.

Tekton Lore-S would be a good choice. They get rave reviews everywhere. Also, if your gonna have a sub running to cover the low end, I suggest waiting for the Ascend Sierra 2's with RAAL tweeters rumored to be out sometime soon. But for towers, I would go with the Tekton Lore-S. Very hifi speakers that gets compared to $10,000 towers..
Some of my personal favorites include (paraphrased):
"Ordered 6 months ago, still getting run-around".
"Arrived with no grills a year ago: still can't get grills. Eric keeps saying he's just about to get to them".
"Have blown two tweeters on these. Eric refuses to services: makes up excuses about my equipment. Odd, never had this problem with other speakers"

Rave reviews indeed.

PS. I have yet to run into someone making a positive comment about any speaker anywhere that didn't include "as good as [insert dollar figure higher than they sell for] speakers". I begin to think that people think all other speakers cost more than they do.

PPS: I spent some quality time with a $60k pair of McIntosh XKT2000 speakers once. I found I liked the high-frequency from my $400 PSB 400i's better, and from my B&W 801S2 (which were $6k back when they were new things), and certainly from my Salk SCST's ($3300). So I guess they all compare to $60k speakers.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
PPS: I spent some quality time with a $60k pair of McIntosh XKT2000 speakers once. I found I liked the high-frequency from my $400 PSB 400i's better, and from my B&W 801S2 (which were $6k back when they were new things), and certainly from my Salk SCST's ($3300). So I guess they all compare to $60k speakers.

No jerry, you got it wrong they were better than $60K speakers abd if someone ever said them mc's were better than Grand utopias then really your $400 PSB's were better than $180K speakers!!!! Man I hope you didn't sell them babies, lol...

I like my evo2-40 2.2 system better than I like my jade 5 2.2 system and the jade 5's were over $3K, I also like them evo's better than I liked the B&W 804 diamonds that Dan had setup at the Emotiva meet and greet in Boston and them were $12K and my wife felt the same way so my $4K 2.2 speakers are better than $12K diamond 804's!!!!

and Ill promise you the a jones pioneer bookshelfs sound better than these http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Waterfall-Audio-Niagara-Diamond-Glass-Floor-Standing-LoudSpeaker-Pair-/281099212038?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item4172d19506 so what does that mean, $165, 427.00 thats a steal

Last edited:
J

jkgsxr

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for all the comments, gives me a few more things to look at. There is a somewhat local stereo shop that carries focal and paradigm speakers. I will go listen to those also. The focals dont seem to get alot of attention here? I like some of the internet direct choices just tough not being able to audition. I have been searching for as many reviews and comparisons with the internet direct speakers as I can. Once again thanks for the input.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis