New guy needs help with speaker recommendations for Pioneer Elite VSX-42

N

nic426

Enthusiast
Hi all... I'm new to these forums but have been researching for a while as I'm finally ready to step up from my 8yr old Onkyo HTIB. I am picking up a Pioneer Elite VSX-42 today. Only reason I chose this receiver is that they had an open box at Best Buy (my GF works there) so I got it for $110, which I thought was a great buy! Let me know if you think that receiver isn't worth it though.

I'm looking to put together a 5.1 or 7.1 system to go with that receiver. 80% Movies/games - 20% music, in an open floor plan room thats about 24x20 (but only half of that will be for the speaker set up). Speaker size isn't an issue so towers in the front are ok. My budget is around $1,200 - IF Best Buy carries the speakers it's a plus cause of my GF's discount.

Thank you all in advance for the help!

N

nic426

Enthusiast
anyone have any input? I was looking to purchase some this week. There are way too many options and I know way too little about speakers to make the right decision.

N

nic426

Enthusiast
Ok, so I am thinking of doing Definitive Technology SM45 for front and rear, ProCenter 1000 for the center and still deciding on a woofer. Thoughts?

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Ideally you would go to all of your local audio stores, and listen to as many types of speakers (e.g., ribbon, horn, dome, whatever) as you can find, from as many brands as you can stand to audition, with music with which you are familiar, and with all of the types of music that you listen to (making a CDR for this is a good idea). That way, you get speakers you like, instead of ones I like, or that someone else likes.

Also, if you do want us to make suggestions, you should tell people your budget. It is no use me telling you to buy $10,000 speakers if you only have $300 to spend. And it is good to tell people if you are willing to spend more money in the future, as you can get better speakers for a given amount of money if you are buying fewer of them, and then later, when you have more money, can finish the system. However, it is a good idea to make sure that the front three speakers are voice matched, as otherwise the tonal quality of a sound panning across the front will change and draw attention to the fact that you are hearing speakers rather than a natural sound.

Regarding the receiver, it is a good price for it. If it has all the features you need, then it is likely what you should get.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I walked around the local BB speaker section and it was a let down. The speakers were in a 4ft. wide lane and it was impossible to get stereo sound let alone properly listen to any pair. Of the speakers that BB carries, the Pioneer FS52 towers, C22 center and BS22 bookshelf speakers make for a great set. There were no subwoofers I'd buy. For a sub to go with the Pioneers, look at SVS PB1000.

Other package deals of note, but not available in BB,

http://www.aperionaudio.com/intimus-4t-hybrid-sd

http://emptek.com/HolidaySale.php

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid3pkg.html

5x http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cbm170/cbm170.html

2x http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340m/cmt340m.html and matching center with the 170's for surrounds.

Since your primary use is movies, don't skimp on the subwoofer. Heck, plan on having 2 of them :D.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
$1200 you can go with the pioneers that best buy sells but like others said and will say, best buy subs are not going to satisfy most buyers, especially their budget models... HSU BTF2 would be my pick..

if bb is out of the picture, the vtf2 with a set of cbm170s and a 340se center and some fluance bipole surrounds would be my pick in your budget...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
a) I know BB employees get very big discounts ergo b) +2 on the pioneers c) with a+b you should have plenty of mullah left in the pocket for a decent sub and like others mentioned BB doesn't carry decent subs - SVS/HSU are most best ones. 20x24 open floor plan you need a serious sub. HSU VTF-2 is good start, but I think you could squeeze in budget the HSU VTF-3 MK4 - You'd love the result

Btw : Great deal on the Pio avr - it's typically a $400

P.S: Don't got 7.1 - 5.1 should be plenty and add additional speakers then you'd have more budget later.
Trying to force 7.1 now will just force the speakers/sub to be lesser models....

N

nic426

Enthusiast
Thanks guys!! I'll have her look into the pricing for the Pioneers. So you guys would all choose those Pioneers over the DefTec's I listed above?

N

nic426

Enthusiast
She checked some prices for me and this is what I have in mind since her discount on DefTec is awesome! This would put me way under budget and I could possibly replace the sub with a much better one. What do you guys think of the set up below?

Model List Price Discount Price
ProCent1000BLA $219.98 $104.61
SM45 $199.00 $99.00
PROMON800 $145.00 $69.05
PSUB1000BLA $499.00 $237.00
Total $1,406.98 $677.71

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
  1. PSUB1000BLA in your large room will be not be adequate . since your mail goal is HT you should invest much more in sub
  2. using bookshelfs for mains in large room is bad idea.

N

nic426

Enthusiast
  1. PSUB1000BLA in your large room will be not be adequate . since your mail goal is HT you should invest much more in sub
  2. using bookshelfs for mains in large room is bad idea.
Thanks!

Yea, I figured that sub wouldn't suffice. I will probably get the sub elsewhere based on the recommendations above.

I can check the prices on the DefTec towers but the list prices are super high. Any alternative recommendations for the fronts?

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Model List Price Discount Price
ProCent1000BLA $219.98 $104.61
SM45 $199.00 $99.00
PROMON800 $145.00 $69.05
PSUB1000BLA $499.00 $237.00
Total $1,406.98 $677.71
I cannot comment on sound quality and cost vs value, but, damn they are good prices.

N

nic426

Enthusiast
How are the Energy Towers? model CF-50 is what I'm looking at

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis