New Entertainment Center/TV stand

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
Need to find a new Entertainment Center/TV stand

Since my current entertainment center does not work for the layout of my current room I need to get a new one. Any suggestions on where to go? I don't have a lot of money due to the amount of dough I dropped in to the HT setup, So it would have to be a fairly cheap, but at the same time look good.

any locations online that I could pick something up and put it together myself kind of thing? Would need something to fit in this corner, support/have a location for a Center channel, and have a VERY high WAF... as I took quite a hit when she realized where those 3 dipole speakers were going to go.

Last edited:
ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
Right now I have the center speaker on TOP of the entertainment center (not seen in picture) how will the center chanel sound if it's below the TV? bad?

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
ducker said:
Right now I have the center speaker on TOP of the entertainment center (not seen in picture) how will the center chanel sound if it's below the TV? bad?
Sound quality can be difficult to judge (without knowing which rack etc).

I found my center sounded better BELOW the TV rather than mounted above the TV. It had to do with the distance the center channel speaker was from the main speakers.

Yes, there can be issues with the center speaker being in an enclosure. My center (Polk LSi) is positioned at the front edge of the rack. Since I have an open air rack system, basically the center speaker is enclosed only by two shelves (below and above the speaker).

Sources for racks?

I also check out several online companies. Good products, but less expensive racks are available.

I picked up a matching Gusdorf audio and TV rack for a song from Circuit City. Mahogany stained wood (yes real wood), smoked glass shelves, height adjustable shelves (even though literature said the shelves werent adj) very WAF for a rack and a close match for the Saunder Classic Cherry bookcases in the room.

I would also check out Sears, JC Penneys etc. WAF and budget friendly.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
As long as you have a couple inches of clearance above it, the receiver should be ok. You can expand the wire hole in the back to get better airflow, if needed.

I have the same center speaker shelf on my Sony Grand Wega and it works really great. I would just make sure the shelf was level front to back and then use spacers on top of the shelf to raise the back of the center to aim it at your listening spot. If it's too high up, the sound might be passing over you head.

You might achieve the same result by jacking the back legs higher, but that might make the speaker and shelf try to slide forward. It's pretty smooth on the underside and might want to move unless it was level.

howie85

howie85

Full Audioholic
May I get in on this?

I have been currently looking for something and I have a question too along the same line. I going for a 60in rear projection and most of the stands for this size tv are a bit on the short side. On the other hand since the tv is pretty tall and my center channel pretty large 34w 14d 9h(it will not fit on most of the shef sizes I have seen up to this point) I am thinking that my imaging could be better if my center channel is not 60-70+ inches up since the bookshelf speakers will be much lower than that and there not any speaker stands over 36in high to get my speakers up that high. At this point I am only aware of one mfg that can hold all my equipment and keep the speakers close to on plane and at about ear level when seated but dam expensive Salamander geesh!!
Ok so here it is. How much will my sound suffer from speakers so far off plane and I guess there is a min level the center should be above the floor? I like movies and that is the main objective of my system so working around placment is dooable but expensive and that will delay my sound treatment. Any advice on furniture that will accomodate speaker placment other than Salamander would be good. Thanks for any info, Curt

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
Howie,

here's one option, but it's still not very cheap :(

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3988945

on the other hand, if your receiver allows you to set speaker distance, the center channel won't be too horrible. I had the center in my bedroom set on top of an armoire (almost 80 inches up) while the main speakers started at 32 inches and went up 26 inches more. I didn't really notice any transition issues once I got the distances set right. :)

omnimount makes a 400-series stand that will adjust up to 45 inches, but their website does not give a weight rating, so that might not be much help. :(

www.omnimount.com

howie85

howie85

Full Audioholic
Leprkon, That Bell'o unit was one of the first that I thought would fit my needs and the matching speaker stands are sweet too. I measured one but it looked like the distance between top and middle shelf will not fit my speaker or maybe that was a different one?? I have looked at so many. If the upper shelf was adjustable for different speaker sizes, and was rated for a 60in TV it would be perfect.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
12 year old thread. I think the op is long gone, lol.
Why did you have to say that. That made me realize that the dog in that picture is probably dead.

Now I am sad.

:oops:

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Why did you have to say that. That made me realize that the dog in that picture is probably dead.

Now I am sad.

:oops:
I don't know, it looks like a puppy in the pic. Could just be an old grey muzzled dog now.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I don't know, it looks like a puppy in the pic. Could just be an old grey muzzled dog now.
This post is so old that never mind the dog, the OP is probably dead.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Even worse, he got remarried and had to get rid of his new entertainment stand, sell his gear and go in ceiling with all his speakers and no sub. :eek:

Okay, I think I went too far with that one. Sorry guys.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Geez, now you're going to make Pogre even sadder.
You want to be sad, think that our posts on the internet are going to be our lasting legacy. Long after we are dust, and even after those who would retain any memory of us are also dust, all that is left of us is these glib remarks, archived on the internet and maybe brought up by some random google search string once a decade, more than likely a search done by a bot than a living human. Our life's work will have been totally eradicated, and the only trace of our existence will be some entries in census databases and genealogy databases, aside from our inane banter here. The internet never forgets. Post wisely, for every word we write here will define us throughout eternity more than anything else we will ever do!

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
You want to be sad, think that our posts on the internet are going to be our lasting legacy. Long after we are dust, and even after those who would retain any memory of us are also dust, all that is left of us is these glib remarks, archived on the internet and maybe brought up by some random google search string once a decade, more than likely a search done by a bot than a living human. Our life's work will have been totally eradicated, and the only trace of our existence will be some entries in census databases and genealogy databases, aside from our inane banter here. The internet never forgets. Post wisely, for every word we write here will define us throughout eternity more than anything else we will ever do!
I already have more of a legacy than that. :p

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis