ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
Hello again. Upon listening to my system more and more I am forced to dislike my center more and more:(. It is the newest of my set up but.... I would really like the voices not to get drowned out.

So here I am thinking about a DIY option. I would love to be able to go for the super charged SongCenter but I haven't the funds :( I am also generally more interested in the DIY route anyway!!!:D Never too old to do something new.

The center would be on a shelf tight to the wall (directly below the tv). Therefore I would have to port out the front (if I port). Anyone have experience with a DIY center that would go well with the ER18's I already have built? I understand that building another ER18 would be the optimal sound option but I haven't the height, the speaker would have to go in front of the tv, not ideal.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
What do you think your budget for the kit might be (excluding building material cost)?

Here are a few cheap, but good options

The Madisound Speaker Store

Ovenight Sensation Center

Swope Center

Statements Center

My choice just might be this one if I were you.

35CC

Probably above your budget, but thought I'd throw them out there, might be the best match short of trying to order something from Dennis.

Aureality-CC Good because it's low profile

Sardonyx

You could always e-mail Dennis and ask him if he would be willing to part with the plans to the old Phil center since he doesn't make it anymore.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
Hello again. Upon listening to my system more and more I am forced to dislike my center more and more:(. It is the newest of my set up but.... I would really like the voices not to get drowned out.

So here I am thinking about a DIY option. I would love to be able to go for the super charged SongCenter but I haven't the funds :( I am also generally more interested in the DIY route anyway!!!:D Never too old to do something new.

The center would be on a shelf tight to the wall (directly below the tv). Therefore I would have to port out the front (if I port). Anyone have experience with a DIY center that would go well with the ER18's I already have built? I understand that building another ER18 would be the optimal sound option but I haven't the height, the speaker would have to go in front of the tv, not ideal.
I had the same problem until I went with a DIY option. I bought the Zaph Audio 5.3c kit from Madisound ( 200. Plus shipping ) dual front ported with reduced bsc for tight installations. I can't believe how much more coherent dialog is now. I also bought the front ported 5.2's with reduced bsc for my front left and right channels.
For music I prefer my stand mount ushers or the E-41b's but for theater the zaph is tough to beat.
ymmv. Cheers, Mac

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
... Apparently I shouldn't post so late at night. Budget is a somewhat important aspect....:rolleyes:

Up to $400 for electrical components, I am sure I have enough materials for the cabinet.

I am also thinking about getting a center that can handle at least 200W because I will likely be adding an XPA-3 (maybe a 5) to take some stress off of my avr and possibly future proofing in case I turn to a processor.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Contact Dennis Murphy. If you have a pair of ER18s (which tweeter?), and space is limited, I think Dennis might recommend a 2-way with the same tweeter, and two Seas ER15s. Those drivers are smaller, and the cabinet will be more compact, essentially the same size as the Song Center. It can easily be built with ports on the front.

He can suggest cabinet dimensions based on the mid woofer choice, you can build it, and send it to him with drivers (or not if he has those drivers), and he'll design the crossover. He may already have something now, so contact Dennis.

I don't think the extra cost and extra performance of the Seas W15 magnesium drivers will be worth it in a center channel speaker if you already have ER18 MTMs.

I take it you like your ER18s?

C

capricious

Junior Audioholic
I am interested in building the center for my ER18 as well. I did contact dennis initially back in Jan, and he mentioned that he had a design for the center. I haven't heard anything from him after that. If any of you heard back from him about the center, please post it here.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
He told me that he has a center design for it and would send it to me today or tomorrow. I will let you know!

HOPE WITH ME!!!

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
:D Dennis sent me the info! He is now my co-favourite audio person!

I have the crossover design and pictures of the cabinet, I will have to design the cabinet myself. Shouldn't be too hard, I have the outside dimensions and the port dimensions.

I plan to order my stuff from Meniscus, I got my ER18 components there. However (electrical gurus chime in here) I don't know which resistors/inductors/caps to get:eek:;

I used the Lynk resistor in my previous build but there doesn't seem to be exactly what I need in that brand. Can I mix and match without difficulty?

I don't know what difference the guage of inductor makes. Can I just put more power through a thicker guage?
I also require a pair 0.82 mH and there is a .80 or .85. I don't have the proper meter to unwind my own.

The schematics call for a 24.7uF capacitor, I assume I can get away with a 25 though.

C

capricious

Junior Audioholic
Can you please post the information here? I have been looking for the center design as well since the time i finished the ER18MTM. Love the speakers ... just need the center to complete the LCR.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
:D Dennis sent me the info! He is now my co-favourite audio person!

I have the crossover design and pictures of the cabinet, I will have to design the cabinet myself. Shouldn't be too hard, I have the outside dimensions and the port dimensions.

I plan to order my stuff from Meniscus, I got my ER18 components there. However (electrical gurus chime in here) I don't know which resistors/inductors/caps to get:eek:;

I used the Lynk resistor in my previous build but there doesn't seem to be exactly what I need in that brand. Can I mix and match without difficulty?

I don't know what difference the guage of inductor makes. Can I just put more power through a thicker guage?
I also require a pair 0.82 mH and there is a .80 or .85. I don't have the proper meter to unwind my own.

The schematics call for a 24.7uF capacitor, I assume I can get away with a 25 though.
Yeah you have some wiggle room.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I was waiting to see the schematic of this crossover before I answered…

Yes, you can mix and match brands of resistors, caps or coils, without any audible impact. If anyone says you really should get the expensive audiophile grade crossover parts, just smile politely and ignore them.

The gauge of the wire used in inductors can make a difference. Thicker wire has less DC resistance, but the overall DC resistance of a crossover filter is an important part of the design, so I'd recommend using the gauge of inductor coil wire specified in the design. Did Dennis specify a gauge?

Yes, you can substitute a 0.80 mH inductor for the 0.82 mH inductor, and a 25 µF cap for the 24.7 µF cap.

The usual rule of thumb is that crossover parts can vary by ±10% from the intended value without significant impact on the overall performance.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Maybe when this is put together nicely we should send it to him to get a final approval :)
I thought that was the idea all along. I think this is the first of it's kind. That's pretty interesting and special, congrats.

I'd like to help you with that lone green chicklet problem but you are going to have to post some pic's. I know you don't want to and I'm sorry but you're going to have to.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
I just recently figured out what the green bars mean!:rolleyes: I will post pics of my build when I get started. Hopefully within a couple weeks.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis