New AVR or Separates?

S

snfekf

Audiophyte
I'm currently using an Onkyo TXNR-709 with an Emotiva XPA5 in my basement theater, Panasonic 65" plasma. The Emotiva powers my L/C/R and surrounds (also Emotiva - 3xERM6.3, 2xERD surrounds, Rythmik LV12 sub) The Onkyo is only powering my rear surrounds and some in-ceiling speakers in other parts of the basement. The Onkyo has been giving me problems lately - poor "hollow" sound in the center channel on anything except mono or all channel stereo setting, a couple inputs not working, etc. I'm considering either the new Denon X4000 or the older 3313. Another consideration is the Emotiva umc-200 and a upa500 to power the rear surrounds and zone2 audio. My question is, will I really notice any difference in sound quality between the separates and the receivers? My listening is probably 75% movies/tv and 25% music. The Emotiva separates are only $850 total. The Emotiva processor does seem to lack a lot of the features of the receivers, but my priority is sound quality. Along those lines, my local dealer was pushing a $2,000 Integra processor! Again, lots of bells and whistles (most of which I do need need), but will there be a noticeable difference in sound quality? I would appreciate any insight!

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
The X4000 has Audyssey's XT32 flavor of room correction and SubEq for bass management. These alone make for a big improvement in sound.

S

snfekf

Audiophyte
Thanks, that's what I've heard. Plus, it seems to have everything else I may need for the foreseeable future. Great review on Audioholics too! I was just hoping to keep it under $1,000. But, I've always believed you get what you pay for!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I own the Denon AVP-A1, which I like a lot. But if I were to buy a processor today, I would get the X4000.

In Direct mode, I doubt you will hear a difference if level matched.

Audyssey XT32 + dual Sub EQ Dynamic EQ will give you the edge over most pre-pros that don't have an equivalent IMO.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks, that's what I've heard. Plus, it seems to have everything else I may need for the foreseeable future. Great review on Audioholics too! I was just hoping to keep it under $1,000. But, I've always believed you get what you pay for!
I'm sure you can get it for less than a $1000 this Thanksgiving. If you must have it now, and don't mind refurb, you can get it at Accessories4Less.com for $925 plus shipping. (I got mine at A4L. Check the 'Write your own review' section for my writeup on the X4000.)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would call Electronics Expo and start negotiating. :D

Remember they sold the Denon 4311 for $1225 before most dealers started discounting big. :D

Or actually see if you can get a Denon 4311 for $1225 from Onecall or other dealers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis