New Aventage RX-A3050 receiver

I

itsrjl

Audiophyte
I have been reading the forum recently to help provide me with answers on my system set-up. Have recently purchased a Yamaha Aventage RX-3050 (replacing an Integra DTC 9.8). Speakers include B&W DM-604 fronts, B&W CC-6 center and B&W DM-603 surrounds, with a B&W ASW-610 (New) Sub. Using 4 small Warfdale speakers for the presence speakers (currently set as 5.1.4). I have been using my Rotel RMB-1075 (120WPC) to drive the 5 main speakers, and the Yamaha to drive the presence speakers. Fronts and center are Bi-wired. In reading previous posts, it seems maybe I could make better use of the current equipment amplification, or even drop the Rotel Amp totally. I also would consider Bi-amping the fronts, but not sure how to accomplish that. Based on previous posts bi-amping may not be worthwhile. Just running all speaker with the Yamaha would certainly simplify my set-up. I did change the initial set-up from 7.1.2 to 5.1.4 with good results. Would 7.1.2 be better or is it more user preference. Any advice would be helpful. So far the sound is far superior to the old Integra.

Other Equipment includes Oppo Blu-ray BDP-103, Direct TV DVR, Project One turntable Roku 4 and Wii (grand kids).

L

Latent

Full Audioholic
Seems a bit of a waste to just use the amp section in the yamaha just to drive presence speakers but if the Rotel amp is working well then you may not need to change it. Could change it so the Rotel just drives 2-3 front channels only to distribute the dynamic power between the two units powersupplies more evenly. Can also do 7.1.4 by using the Rotel amp to power FL/FR. But if you are only running 7.1.2 or 5.1.4 and not trying to drive to really high SPL then the Yamaha would sound fine on its own (You also save on your power bill running without an external amp). Also if you have good Subs and turn base management on then even the FL/FR speakers will not require loads of power to get to decent SPL. Also think about options to use the extra amp channels you gain from the Rotel for other things like powering speakers in a second or third room as the 3050 has some great multi-zone support and features like MusicCast. You can have things like a second HDMI connected TV screen in the kitchen but view all your sources from here and control it with a smart phone app etc. Or just have speakers in another room so you can cast the audio from the big game around the house or listen to music etc.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I think biamping the front 2 or 3 will make best use of the two. True enough you may not hear a difference but at least knowing that there are theoretical benefits may result in perceived difference. As power amp, the Yamaha and the Rotel are almost equally capable so you can try using either for the LF or flip the coin and stick with the outcome.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
The best thing is not to passively biamplify. It simply adds complexity to the system and adding complexity without benefit is more often a negative action.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis