Never buy receivers from eCost

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I recently purchased yet another Denon receiver from eCost - the AVR-2308CI.

Again, there was something wrong with the AVR - the HDMI inputs were defective.

After all these failed attempts, I have concluded to NEVER EVER buy another receiver or pre-pro from eCost regardless of price!

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Wow, can't belive that you have had yet another bad experience with them. Are they taking care if it all on there dime?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Wow, can't belive that you have had yet another bad experience with them. Are they taking care if it all on there dime?
They had the nerve to tell me that I should just send it to Denon for repair!

They said I had to get a case number from Denon Support.

It's like, why should I spend $50 to ship to Denon when it is suppose to work in the first place?

So after all the hassle (for the 100th time), they said I can send it back to them with a pre-paid UPS label.

Can it be coincidence?

How many is that now?

AVP-A1HDCI
AVR4808
AVR4308
AVR3808
AVR2308

This cannot be coincidence!

Even if you think the AVR from eCost is working, I bet there is SOMETHING else wrong with it!

When I called Denon support, they are NOT even surprised!

They even said they have heard many complaints regarding Dakmart and eCost!

So I will NEVER EVER buy another refurbished AVR from eCost or Dakmart.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I guess I got lucky with the 2 that I purchased... Maybe you should just stick to getting new receivers/pre-pros from now on.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I guess I got lucky with the 2 that I purchased... Maybe you should just stick to getting new receivers/pre-pros from now on.
Exactly.

I guess most people don't check every single function/feature on their AVR when they first buy them. Then later on, they find that something is wrong.

But I have learned my lesson - never buy refurb AVRs again, especially not from eCost!

You will never see me recommend eCost to anyone again.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I didn't check every single function on my eCost receiver when I got it, but with the gear that was hooked up to it at the time that really wasn't an option, but now I am able to test pretty much everything, and lucky for me it all works fine. Guess I may have to consider other alternatives in the future when looking to purchase a new/used AVR at a discount.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Maybe you just have had bad luck with the AVR-xx08 series receivers, maybe try something newer.

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
I bought an AVR-1910 from them, and I haven't had a problem with it. If ecost and dakmart both have problems with refurbished denon's, then its not the websites, its denon who has the problem. Denon is the one who refurbishes them.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I bought an AVR-1910 from them, and I haven't had a problem with it. If ecost and dakmart both have problems with refurbished denon's, then its not the websites, its denon who has the problem. Denon is the one who refurbishes them.
That's the same thing I got from them, and it's worked flawlessly.

farscaper

farscaper

Audioholic
Unfortunately, I had the same bad experience with an AVR from eCost a couple of years ago. I got it repaired myself because they were no help. I guess it wasn't a isolated incident. I never went back.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Unfortunately, I had the same bad experience with an AVR from eCost a couple of years ago. I got it repaired myself because they were no help. I guess it wasn't a isolated incident. I never went back.
I'm thinking there's gotta be something wrong with every single AVR or pre-pro they sell whether you realize it or not.

For example, if you don't ever use HDMI, then you would have never known there was something wrong with the HDMI.:eek:

Either that or I'm just the most unlucky person on this forum!:eek:

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
How many is that now?

AVP-A1HDCI
AVR4808
AVR4308
AVR3808
AVR2308

This cannot be coincidence!

Even if you think the AVR from eCost is working, I bet there is SOMETHING else wrong with it!
So give us the big picture - 5 failures for how many purchases?

When I called Denon support, they are NOT even surprised!

They even said they have heard many complaints regarding Dakmart and eCost!
So your question for Denon support is "Why the heck does Denon keep them as an Authorized Dealer/Outlet?"

Are these any good?
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARAV8003A/Marantz/Av8003-Networking-Av-Preamp/processor-NEW/1.html#!wiki

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Denon? Or another brand?

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I think that if you are getting that many bad refurbished Denons from an authorized dealer then I think it's pretty obvious that it's a Denon problem. Correct me if I'm wrong but eCost doesn't refurbish them - they just sell what Denon recertifies. It sounds like a problem at the repair depot. Speaking hypothetically eCost may have just decided to wash their hands of servicing what they see as an unacceptable number of returns and push the repairs off on Denon. I'm not defending eCost just pointing out a real possibility.

Last edited:
ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I recently purchased yet another Denon receiver from eCost - the AVR-2308CI.

Again, there was something wrong with the AVR - the HDMI inputs were defective.

After all these failed attempts, I have concluded to NEVER EVER buy another receiver or pre-pro from eCost regardless of price!
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Einstein...

Well, the insanity stops here.

I will go as far as saying I will never buy another item from eCost!

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I bought a couple of 1tb portable drives from them on a wicked price, got them and both worked great so far, I can't say I would ever buy anything such as audio gear from on online source. Those are just not products I want to deal with over the web... I'll pay the few extra $$ to be able to drop it back off at best buy or whatever store is in the area...

I guess thats just me...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I bought a couple of 1tb portable drives from them on a wicked price, got them and both worked great so far, I can't say I would ever buy anything such as audio gear from on online source. Those are just not products I want to deal with over the web... I'll pay the few extra $$ to be able to drop it back off at best buy or whatever store is in the area...

I guess thats just me...
You chose wisely.:D

I prefer Amazon.com the best. If these is any issue, I don't even have to talk to anyone, I just print out a pre-paid UPS label and send it back to Amazon.:D

But local stores are a wise chose.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis