Netflix streaming now for Macs!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
For any of you who (like me) have both a Mac and Netflix, you can now stream movies! As you can tell, I'm pretty excited about it.

Netflix is offering a beta of the service at this link here.

The optional bitrates using Shift-B don't seem to work, but I was able to stream video on my MacBook.

sgtpepper9

sgtpepper9

Audioholic
I was running it through Firefox on my macbook...

F

fairychild

Audiophyte
How is the streaming? Is it decent? I guess it depends on how fast your connection is, but I would be annoyed if it stuttered often.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, it definitely depends on your connection. I haven't experienced any glitches or stuttering. I have a download speed of 1.5 Mbps. What I miss on the Mac version is the (just recently discovered for me) ability to force a bitrate. At least, the Shift-B approach wasn't working for me last night. The regular video quality for my download speed is not all that great.

Adam

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
WARNING: If you opt in for the beta, there is currently no way to opt out. What I didn't consider when I did it was that it would apply the beta player to my PC, as well. Now I cannot select my preferred bitrate. :( I just found that like a week ago, and now it's gone. I'm back to junky video quality.

I gotta see if I can get out of this beta.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Okay, an update on manual bitrate selection. I found it, thanks to the forum over at MacRumors.

After clicking in the movie window, click the following:
Mac: Cntl + Shift + Option + S

PC: Cntl + Shift + Alt + S​

A window will pop up that allows for manual selection.

Woohoo! A nice birthday present for me. I'm much happier now. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis