netflix and surround issue

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
So I am running netflix off my PS3 but I do not seem to get any dolby connection on videos that offer 5.1. I do have an HDMI connected from console to AVR and I do get dolby and other codecs from BDs. Any thoughts on how to get 5.1 working with netflix?

H

HifiSystems1

Enthusiast
Are you receiving any information from your surround speakers?
I know if there are connection issues, it starts to fold down the audio stream.
Sometimes it even reduces the audio quality of the stereo stream.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Are you receiving any information from your surround speakers?
I know if there are connection issues, it starts to fold down the audio stream.
Sometimes it even reduces the audio quality of the stereo stream.
nope none.... my pioneer reads stereo and it's set to auto which would recognize the dolby feed.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Both my Sony Blu-rays (390 & 580) pass a stereo feed with Netflix and the receiver uses DPL II Cinema.

Vudu passes DD 5.1 automatically.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi. Make sure that you've selected the 5.1 audio feed. On my PS3, I had to do that on at least one video. Netflix has it as my default, now. To check the audio once a video is playing, you push the Select button on the PS3 remote. The info that pops up in the upper left corner will say if the source is playing stereo or 5.1.

H

HifiSystems1

Enthusiast
Try logging into the Netflix and make sure the best quality option is on.
Sometimes it isn't set to anything, and it won't output the surround channels.

jamfan

jamfan

Audiophyte
So I am running netflix off my PS3 but I do not seem to get any dolby connection on videos that offer 5.1. I do have an HDMI connected from console to AVR and I do get dolby and other codecs from BDs. Any thoughts on how to get 5.1 working with netflix?
Which PS3 do you have? Slim or Fat? I own a slim, and to get your reciever to display Dolby D+ (per the recent update), in the sound settings you need to bitstream audio.... Also have you ran ps3 audio connections, and what formats you wish to output? Also, don't know what AVR your running, but if your reciever is displaying multichannel, your getting 5.1 audio.....

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
This is the definitive solution for your problem.

Hi. Make sure that you've selected the 5.1 audio feed. On my PS3, I had to do that on at least one video. Netflix has it as my default, now. To check the audio once a video is playing, you push the Select button on the PS3 remote. The info that pops up in the upper left corner will say if the source is playing stereo or 5.1.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Which PS3 do you have? Slim or Fat? I own a slim, and to get your reciever to display Dolby D+ (per the recent update), in the sound settings you need to bitstream audio.... Also have you ran ps3 audio connections, and what formats you wish to output? Also, don't know what AVR your running, but if your reciever is displaying multichannel, your getting 5.1 audio.....
I've got the fat one and I wish to run 5.1

I'll take a closer look at the settings and tinker with it.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Hi Adam,

I tried this and I made sure to select the 5.1 audio from the movie audio menu on netflix. I played the movie Tintin to check to see if it will transmit the dolby D+ ans when I pressed select it said "video: low/SD audio English/stereo (primary)" :( I don't get why this is.

The weird thing is that when I play Blu rays with my PS3, it recognizes the dolby digital no problem - but not the netflix :(

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi. The show has to be listed as 5.1. I searched for "tintin" on Netflix and found four shows - none of which have 5.1 audio.

Some TV series are listed at 5.1, but not all of the episodes are in 5.1, so don't be surprised by that, either.

Try "Alias" on Netflix. Set the "Audio and subtitles" to "English (Dolby Digital Plus 5.1)." It should play 5.1 surround sound on the very first episode. It does on mine.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
I have it to bitstream audio

what is ps3 audio connections?

formats = dolby digital plus

receiver = pioneer elite sc27 (I've double checked the inout hook up in the receiver's menu and HDMI is selected.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Hi. The show has to be listed as 5.1. I searched for "tintin" on Netflix and found four shows - none of which have 5.1 audio.

Some TV series are listed at 5.1, but not all of the episodes are in 5.1, so don't be surprised by that, either.

Try "Alias" on Netflix. Set the "Audio and subtitles" to "English (Dolby Digital Plus 5.1)." It should play 5.1 surround sound on the very first episode. It does on mine.
no no I realize that. I mean the animated movie Tintin. It is listed as 5.1 I just tried califonication and it to is not transmitting the dolby. I'll try Alias now.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
hmmmmmmm Alias is unavailable here in Ottawa Canada. Maybe location has something to do with that.

Oh and yup.. the check mark is at English dolby digital plus 5.1 in the audio subtitle menu :(

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
hmmmmmmm Alias is unavailable here in Ottawa Canada. Maybe location has something to do with that.
Ah, that explains it. All of the "Tintin" movies for me aren't in 5.1, and Californication isn't available to me.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Okay...keep trying. Again, some shows are listed as 5.1 but, for some reason, aren't actually in it. Californication, being a TV show, might show 5.1 for the series, but some episodes might be in stereo.

In the main PS3 menu system, go to Settings/Sound Settings/Audio Output Settings. Select "HDMI" (which I'm sure that you have), then select "Automatic", and then on the next screen double check that "Dolby Digital 5.1 Ch" and "Dolby Digital Plus" are listed. I'm guessing that they are if your blu rays are working, but I wanted to mention it.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
oops I meant Alias is not available.... but still though. If whatever movie is listed as 5.1 and it is indeed selected.... it should reproduce it lol.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Okay...keep trying. Again, some shows are listed as 5.1 but, for some reason, aren't actually in it. Californication, being a TV show, might show 5.1 for the series, but some episodes might be in stereo.

In the main PS3 menu system, go to Settings/Sound Settings/Audio Output Settings. Select "HDMI" (which I'm sure that you have), then select "Automatic", and then on the next screen double check that "Dolby Digital 5.1 Ch" and "Dolby Digital Plus" are listed. I'm guessing that they are if your blu rays are working, but I wanted to mention it.
Check... and already selected :)

I even changed inputs on my receiver and still nothing.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis