Need technical help...

PhillyDan1969

PhillyDan1969

Junior Audioholic
OK I know several other people have posted similiar threads about humming, but can't seem to find the pertinent ones.

It seems my brand spanking new Denon AVR3805 is causing an audible hum/buzz in all 5 of my Polk audio speakers (subwoofer is not connected yet). Now to troubleshoot the issue, here is what I have done so far:

1st - Disconnected every "Source" component, one by one to see if any of them was causing the noise. The problem persists despite having no components connected to the reciever.

2nd - I disconnected all the power supplies from my power bar surge protector and even plugged the Denon directly into the wall outlet. I then bought a new surge protector.

3rd - I bought a complete set of AR Banana plugs and replaced each and everyone of my speaker connectors (needed to be done anyway, though I later went online and purchased a full set of new speaker cables from Impact Acoustics).

At this point I sent Denon Technical Support an email asking for any help, but it looks like I might be taking the unit back (purchased on Feb 26th) unless I can get some advice. I have all the power connectors completely separated from the other interconnects and bundled in some flex loom tubing. After spending several hours reorganizing everything in my home theater and plugging everything in the last thing I want to do is have to return the unit. :(

Anyone have any ideas? :confused:

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
Have you read the article on "ground loops" in the "Beginners & Audiophytes" forum?

If so, you might try moving the receiver a few feet away from whatever you have it next to right now & see if anything changes which may identify a shielding problem with a piece of gear...........probably a long shot.

See if you can swap out the power cord on the receiver just for test sakes if it's possible...............may even want to try running an extension cord from another outlet a ways from the unit...........again, longshots, but might as well try 'em before you haul the unit back to the store.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis