Need suggestion with Klipsch R-1650-W in-wall speakers for 5.1 setup

S

sriforcr

Audiophyte
Could some one help me here with these in-wall speakers
I would like to check whether Klipsch R-1650-W load speakers are good enough for 5.1 setup in a living room size of 19x16. I would like to use them as Left, Right and back speakers. I will possibly buy better one for center channel.
I choose these speakers just because i got for a pretty low price ($40 each). Here are the specs of Klipsch R-1650-W:
frequency response 53Hz-20kHz +/- 3dB
power handling 35 watts (140 watts peak)
sensitivity 88dB @ 2.83V/1 meter nominal
impedance 8 ohms compatible
drive components Two-way system using one 1” (2.5cm) polymer dome, tweeter and one 6.5” (16.5cm) poly woofer.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
They should be able to produce the sound of a squirrel playing drums
on the back of a turtle shell.

They look cheapy looking even for Klipsch - however for a tight budget
and $40, they should be OK for the price.

S

sriforcr

Audiophyte
Thanks for the reply.
I got in frys for $40 on a sale.
I dont want to spend lot of money for in-wall speakers for a living room. What specification should i look for quite good quality speakers (Does not need to be loud). I can still return the unopened boxes and get alternate ones.

I am very confused with specs and not sure what to look in.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I do not get too carried away with specs - it is more about
power handling and build quality - I would want something
rated higher than 35 watts average.

Do not be too concerned about so-called bass response specs

For a tight budget, I would look at HTD
http://www.htd.com/Products/multi-purpose/MP-W65-in-wall-speakers

However, if you have already started installing Klipsch - then you may
want to give them a try - if you are not overly concerned about the
loudness thing.

Your call

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

“Good enough” depends on your expectations. If you are familiar with audiophile sound quality, then your expectations will be high and you won’t like these speakers. If your expectations are not high, then you might be happy with them.

You can’t really get a feel for how any speaker sounds just from the specs. I’d never buy any speaker without hearing it first in person, especially something as permanent as an in-wall. Did Fry’s have these installed in a listening room?

In-wall speakers in general have issues going in, simply in due to the fact that they aren’t mounted in a rigid cabinet. As a rule, take any given decent-quality speaker – a bookshelf model, for example – and the cost of an in-wall that sounds as good will be at least two times higher, and probably more.

One thing that jumps at me is the “polymer” tweeter. Polymer tweets are typically low end and don’t sound nearly as good as say, silk-dome tweeters.

If you can swing it, I’d strongly suggest going with regular speakers for your front three (i.e. bookshelf-sized), and limit the in-walls to the back channels. I have a buddy with this arrangement and it sounds fine.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

S

sriforcr

Audiophyte
WaynePflughaupt and zieglj01, Very well appreciate your replies. it is really helpful to me.

My house is not even ready yet to install the speakers but i just bought them because of a good deal. I got tempted with named brand of klipsch just for $40 each. I will probably return these and look for better alternatives.

Coming to listening experience, Frys have them in demo room with 6 other in-wall speakers ranging from $100-$300 including JBL, bose, palk audio, energy, infinity etc.

For some reason, The only speaker i felt better than R-1650-W is klipsch R-3650-W but it costs $299 each. I am surprised even bose, JBL with similar specs also does not sound clear and better.

As i am configuring this for living room, I dont want to use floor standing because of kids but i may probably think about book shelf speakers.

Thanks again for detailed information. Much appreciated.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You might think about wall-mounting some bookshelf speakers with mounts like this one. That will give you more flexibility than in-wall speakers, and if you mount them high enough, the kids cant reach them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis