Need Speaker Stands!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Folks, I recently purchased some new HiVi speaker stands. Although I really like them, Jon Lane told me that the top plate is a bit thin. As such, my new speakers will weigh too much for them. That being said, I am looking for new stands.

The matching stands for my new speakers cost $400! Just really don't want to pay that much for stands. I found these and they look like a viable option:

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-ssmb24-24-speaker-stand-pair-square-steel-base--240-750

The Daytons top plate measures 6 5/8" X 8 1/4" and can withstand up to 75-lbs. My new speakers weigh in at almost 60 lbs. each. Just wished the top plate was a bit bigger. My new speakers are 12" wide and 15" deep. So, the bigger the top plate the better imho.

A few guys over at AVS recommended these:

http://www.standsandmounts.com/vtirfseriescastiron24inchspeakerstandsrf24.aspx

I am not too familiar with VTI, but they sure look promising. The question is, however, are the VTI stands worth nearly double the cost over the Daytons? The top plate on the VTIs measures 6 1/2" X 8" and can withstand up to 100 lbs.

Lastly, are metal stands better than MDF stands? Both the Daytons and the VTI's can be filled with pellets/sand. Is that a good idea given my new speakers weigh in at almost 60 lbs. each? Are there any other stands that I need to be looking at? My new speakers set me back pretty good. Just do NOT want to pay $400 for a set of stands. Someone at AVS mentioned Bello. But, from what I have seen thus far they are also pretty expensive as well. As always, and and all info/feedback with be most appreciated. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

PS The bigger the top plate the better!

Last edited:
tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I myself would take metal stands over mdf. And to me those Daytons look fine.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I myself would take metal stands over mdf. And to me those Daytons look fine.
Yeah, I think the Daytons look fine too. Why would you take metal over MDF stands? Are there any advantages from doing so over MDF? Will it be a good idea to fill them up w/pellets and/or sand? BTW, I also found these here:

https://soundapproach.com/bello-sp224-speaker-stands-pair.html?gclid=CO2HoobR_8wCFYM2aQodHU4GoA

The 24" Bellos look good, but the top plate is a bit smaller than that on the Daytons/VTIs. Just thought that I would mention it.

Cheers,

Phil

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Yeah, I think the Daytons look fine too. Why would you take metal over MDF stands? Are there any advantages from doing so over MDF? Will it be a good idea to fill them up w/pellets and/or sand? BTW, I also found these here:

https://soundapproach.com/bello-sp224-speaker-stands-pair.html?gclid=CO2HoobR_8wCFYM2aQodHU4GoA

The 24" Bellos look good, but the top plate is a bit smaller than that on the Daytons/VTIs. Just thought that I would mention it.

Cheers,

Phil
Metal is more rigid and it will last for generations. I myself would go for bigger top plate for more secure hold of your speakers. Filling them with sand sounds smart as it will increase the mass of stands. Don't know if it has any cons tho as I haven't experienced with that.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Metal is more rigid and it will last for generations. I myself would go for bigger top plate for more secure hold of your speakers. Filling them with sand sounds smart as it will increase the mass of stands. Don't know if it has any cons tho as I haven't experienced with that.
Very good point. I am looking for some stands with a BIGGER top plate. Oh, and at a reasonable cost....LOL!!! If you come across any, then please let me know. Appreciate your help.

Cheers,

Phil

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Cheers,

Phil

The Bello's are junk. Easily tip over. Mine are now being used on the patio as plant stands!. I replaced them with Definitive Technology stands, they come with small and large top plates. Shop around, there are others all over the internet.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_735SMSTND/Definitive-Technology-StudioMonitor-Stand.html

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The Bello's are junk. Easily tip over. Mine are now being used on the patio as plant stands!. I replaced them with Definitive Technology stands, they come with small and large top plates. Shop around, there are others all over the internet.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_735SMSTND/Definitive-Technology-StudioMonitor-Stand.html
I read the specs and the top plate is a bit larger. However, according to Crutchfield Staff the stands can withstand up to 22 lbs. only. My new speakers are almost 60 lbs. each. So, these are not going to work. Really don't like the Bello stands anyways. But, thanks for the heads up on them. Will continue to look some more.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Can u build you own? I designed a pair years back. I went to Home Depot bought the wood, had them make all the cuts for me. Brought them home and screwed them together and then stained them....took me a few hours total.. I made 4 of them 15 years ago and still have 3 in service. If you don't want to stain you can prime them and paint them to match your subs.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Can u build you own? I designed a pair years back. I went to Home Depot bought the wood, had them make all the cuts for me. Brought them home and screwed them together and then stained them....took me a few hours total.. I made 4 of them 15 years ago and still have 3 in service. If you don't want to stain you can prime them and paint them to match your subs.
Jeff that is a really good idea. However, I really have no way to do that. I have some nice stands, but they are NOT designed for such a heavy load. Found several stands that can withstand the weight of my Linbrooks, but the top plates are MUCH too small. Really need stands like this:

They cost $400 a set. That is why I am looking for some alternatives. So far, however, w/o much luck. Looks like that I am going to have to pony up and have Ty build me a set. Thanks for your suggestions.

Cheers,

Phil

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Your wife may want to kill me, but I've had great luck with cinderblocks. I've got a few in my current HT setup to fit a 55" TV on the mantle of an unused fireplace.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Would the Ascend pedestal stands work, or are they too narrow? Dimensions are 7.5"w x 10.5"d x 24"h
No the Ascend stands would not work. The Linbrooks are as deep as my PSA S1500's. Weigh almost as much too. Basically, the Linbrooks are HUGE and are very heavy. Have found plenty of stands that can withstand the weight per se, but the top plates are MUCH too small.

Going to leave my Linbrooks on my S1500's for the time being. When I recover some, plan to have Ty build me a set. Also, looking for a good 2-channel or 3-channel amp that can handle 4-ohm loads. Been watching Audiogon and/or Audiomart. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Your wife may want to kill me, but I've had great luck with cinderblocks. I've got a few in my current HT setup to fit a 55" TV on the mantle of an unused fireplace.
Mark, that is not a bad idea. But, prefer not to use cinder-blocks unless I have to. Right now, the Linbrooks are okay on top of my S1500's. Still looking for a set of stands that would work. However, it looks like Ty is going to end up making me a set. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I was just thinking concrete pillars, like those that look like Greek or Roman architectural columns, would work well and look nice if he lives near a business that makes lawn art (like concrete bird baths and similar). Something like this, but taller; or this, but made of concrete. Or he could get some sonotube and pour his own.

Last edited:
J

JRT3

Junior Audioholic
I may have to try the OP's mentioned Dayton stands for my Klipsch RB 81ii's, whose weight is 27lb and base is 9.3" x 12.3" deep They are a veritable bargain at $52/pr. They are a bit lite at 28lb/pr. Thanks for the lead!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've owned VTI stuff and like it, but I also own PE stands and I'd opt for those. Got them because my A/V-2s are 38lbs each and those stands can handle a lot more than that.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I was just thinking concrete pillars, like those that look like Greek or Roman architectural columns, would work well and look nice if he lives near a business that makes lawn art (like concrete bird baths and similar). Something like this, but taller; or this, but made of concrete. Or he could get some sonotube and pour his own.
Yeah, I like that idea. There may be a place to get something like that around my parts. But, that stuff is really heavy. Just need something like that about 24" tall with a deep top of some sorts. Will be sure to check around. Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I may have to try the OP's mentioned Dayton stands for my Klipsch RB 81ii's, whose weight is 27lb and base is 9.3" x 12.3" deep They are a veritable bargain at $52/pr. They are a bit lite at 28lb/pr. Thanks for the lead!
Yes, the Daytons are a bargain no doubt. However, the top plate is not big enough for my Linbrooks. Otherwise, I would be all over that.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I've owned VTI stuff and like it, but I also own PE stands and I'd opt for those. Got them because my A/V-2s are 38lbs each and those stands can handle a lot more than that.
John, the Dayton Stands are a good deal. They can withstand the weight of my Linbrooks. But, the top plate is not large enough. That is a real problem as my Linbrooks are as deep as my S1500's. Being so heavy is not helping either.

Cheers,

Phil

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
Don't forget, you can always go by a fabric store and buy some plain cloth cut to length to cover 'em up.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis