Need speaker recommendation

M

Mrzekrec

Audiophyte
Setup:
Receiver-late 70's HK730
Turntable - Dual 1019

The shop that sold me the HK recommended Heresy II match well if I'm playing mostly rock.
Primarily listening to rock with some jazz.
I did pick up a significant classical collection for nothing(40s to early 80's London, Cleveland phila orchestras) that I would like to explore.

I would welcome any suggestions.

Thanks.

oqpi

oqpi

Audioholic Intern
Setup:
Receiver-late 70's HK730
Turntable - Dual 1019

The shop that sold me the HK recommended Heresy II match well if I'm playing mostly rock.
Primarily listening to rock with some jazz.
I did pick up a significant classical collection for nothing(40s to early 80's London, Cleveland phila orchestras) that I would like to explore.

I would welcome any suggestions.

Thanks.
How big is your listening room, and how loud you need to listen?
Here are two of my systems:
1) great for a normal room (15 x 20), extemely detailed, dynamic and a fine soundstage:
https://picasaweb.google.com/109243130858369011279/BestAudioSystemThatHonestMoneyCanBuy?authuser=0&feat=directlink
2) this one is a killer.. I used it as DJ for weddings of 600 people and they were amazed of the sound.. clear and strong, no distortion, dynamics are way off the charts, the true real thing..
https://picasaweb.google.com/112981381276452884559/MyAudio?authuser=0&feat=directlink

If any of those options might interest you, let me know and I can give you more details

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
What is your budget? How many different speakers have you heard? Which of those appealed to you? Room size, distance to listening position?

A lot of questions, I know, but will help narrow down the field. That 730 is rated pretty modest at 40wpc. I've read modern testing actually shows it closer to 90wpc. The Heresy are rated at 97db so will be an easy speaker to push. Have you heard Klipsch before? Did you like their sound?

Take a look at the Revel F208. Made by HK, so you'd be keeping it in the family. ;) I found them to be an excellent sounding speaker, even in a room with not so great acoustics.

Last edited:
tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I would set a budget and go to stores and audition all speakers in your budget and choose what sounds best to you. Room size is of course something you need to have in mind doing this, but for small room not so much to worry about unless getting some huge speakers.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I believe Philharmonic Audio produces the finest sounding speakers for your money, (and more). You likely can't hear them before you buy, because they are Internet Direct only. But spend some time searching the audio forums and reading customer comments. You will find only thrilled users. I am one of them.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Being of the "old Klipsch fart" sect, I approve the recommendation of the Heresy II with the old HK. Better yet, if you can get away with larger speakers, the Chorus II, forte II, and Quartet were among the best monkey coffins Klipsch ever made. Saw a minty pair of Walnut forte II go for ~500 recently. Those paired with your HK would be an ultra-retro rig that would rock your face off and sound excellent while doing so.

For less sensitive, more modern speakers, I wholeheartedly recommend the Philharmonics (or Salk). They're superb.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis