Need remote for Magnavox CDB 570 Six Disc CD Changer

H

Human

Audiophyte
I recently acquired an almost 30-year-old Magnavox CDB 570 six-disc CD changer in really pristine condition but the remote had parted company with the player sometime long before it came into my hands. So I'm now on the hunt for a replacement. The problem is I have no idea what remote(s) are compatible with this unit and information on it is very scarce. Any assistance in this area would be greatly appreciated.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
Best bet, a cheap universal. If the magnavox codes don't work try Phillips codes

H

Human

Audiophyte
Thanks. That's definitely on my agenda to try. I actually almost bought one last night but it was a GE. I'm thinking my odds might be a little better with a Phillips.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I wonder if that player has the famous swing arm transport? I'm not sure how that would work in a magazine style changer, but interesting none the less.

I've got a CDB-560 with remote (its a single disc player, so the remote doesn't account for changing discs). I'll see if I can get a picture of it up later tonight for you so you can at least have a rough idea of what to look for if you're looking for OEM.

H

Human

Audiophyte
I have no idea what's under the proverbial hood but the changer uses Pioneer style six-disc cartridges and based on the styling of the front, I'm kind of wondering if it might be a re-branded Pioneer unit. The one somewhat odd behavior I've noticed is it doesn't really know what to do with the Pioneer single-disc cartridge I got with a lot of six-disc magazines on eBay. It doesn't automatically find the disc unless I select disc 3, which would be stored at the same relative position as the single disc. My Pioneer changer automatically recognizes and plays it as disc 1.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I have no idea what's under the proverbial hood but the changer uses Pioneer style six-disc cartridges and based on the styling of the front, I'm kind of wondering if it might be a re-branded Pioneer unit. The one somewhat odd behavior I've noticed is it doesn't really know what to do with the Pioneer single-disc cartridge I got with a lot of six-disc magazines on eBay. It doesn't automatically find the disc unless I select disc 3, which would be stored at the same relative position as the single disc. My Pioneer changer automatically recognizes and plays it as disc 1.
Weird. Are you partial to magazine fed CD changers or changers in general? Would you consider looking for a more up to date CD player or changer as long as the cost weren't too high?

H

Human

Audiophyte
I do like the convenience of loading several discs into a changer and letting it run but I've had players of various types over the years. My first was a Magnavox CDB-492 single-disc player that never gave a minute's trouble. I've had a couple of five-disc carousel changers, one of which is part of my JVC system in the living room. The two magazine changers, the 1987-vintage Magnavox and a newer Pioneer from 1995, are recent thrift shop finds but for many years, I had a 12-disc magazine changer in the trunk of my car—it actually went into the trunks of four or five different cars over about 15 years before it recently gave up the ghost. I'm not opposed to moving up to a newer CD player but I'm content with what I've got as long as it's working.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Weird. Are you partial to magazine fed CD changers or changers in general? Would you consider looking for a more up to date CD player or changer as long as the cost weren't too high?
I had a Pioneer 6 disc changer that my first wife absconded with when we split. Ever since then I've had 5 disc carousel changers.

IMNSHO, the disc changers have it over the carousels. The main reason is that when using the random mode, the time between song changes is much less.

If they could still be purchased new, I'd jump on it.

[edit] The Pio was advertised as remote control but did NOT come with a remote. It came with a yellow cable that plugged into a Pio receiver and depended on the receivers remote control. But, it had a "random" button on it so we were set.

Last edited:
H

Human

Audiophyte
I got a remote off of eBay for my Pioneer CD changer and after I put batteries in it and confirmed that it worked properly, I pointed it at the Magnavox just for fun and would you believe it? The thing operates the Magnavox as well! The only button that didn't work was the power button. I would never have thought that would have worked but in looking on eBay, the Pioneer and Magnavox units from the late '80s looked a lot alike. Makes me wonder if Pioneer made CD changers for Magnavox or vice versa. Either way, I'll now be looking for another Pioneer remote of the same type to use with the Magnavox.

UPDATE: On closer examination of the Magnavox, I realized the reason the remote won't turn it off and on is because the player is not designed to do that remotely. It has a power switch with two physical positions for off and on. Still, I'm quite pleased with this discovery.

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, Pioneer designed their changers to be connected to the rest of their equipment through the switched outlets so when the receiver or preamplifier was turned on the rest of the "stack" would come on with it.

Congrats.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis