Need recommendations for outdoor speakers

L

Lincoln

Audioholic
I'm looking for something in $200/pr range or cheaper for my sister, she doesn't care about too much sound quality. Must be available in white with a mounting bracket that allows ceiling mounting. These will be on a screen porch so they won't be directly exposed to the weather. There is a pair of RS Minimus 7 speakers out there now (one is dead) and I got her a pr of Boston Acoustics at her last house and they were great but they were $50 more then she's willing to spend now.

So what's the best sounding (for when I have to listen to them), white, durable, ceiling mount, outdoor speaker I can find for under $200???

J

JJMP50

Full Audioholic
Athena AS-O6

These are available in both Black and White. If you've looked around this site, Athena's are well thought of.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6726297&type=product&id=1083715894822

I'm using some older JBL outdoor speakers for my screened in porch and they sound very good. I don't know the model number. They came with the house. I'm running them off an older Yamaha as B speakers. I can't speak for what JBL is selling for outside speakers today. As mentioned in other threads, JBL has slipped a lot on their consumer products.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Lincoln said:
I'm looking for something in $200/pr range or cheaper for my sister, she doesn't care about too much sound quality. Must be available in white with a mounting bracket that allows ceiling mounting. These will be on a screen porch so they won't be directly exposed to the weather. There is a pair of RS Minimus 7 speakers out there now (one is dead) and I got her a pr of Boston Acoustics at her last house and they were great but they were $50 more then she's willing to spend now.

So what's the best sounding (for when I have to listen to them), white, durable, ceiling mount, outdoor speaker I can find for under $200???
I've heard most of them. Polk Atrium 55's are by far the best sounding outdoor speakers you can buy under $200.

www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage.asp?AuctionId=900991666

Shipping is $19, so give your sister the $9 and be a good brother! Outdoor parties will never be the same.

I've purchased from ubid along with a few other members here. Trusted site. You can see what a deal that is just from yahoo.com shopping here.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AmyyeX6THBBK4GJVYm50pQwEgFoB;_ylu=X3oDMTBhNjRqazhxBHNlYwNzZWFyY2g-?p=polk+atrium+55&did=

algernon

algernon

Audioholic
Anybody have experience with or opinions on the Yamaha NS-AW350 outdoor speakers? Of course my local best buy does not have the outdoor speaker display working.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I know Paradigm has their outdoor speakers on sale right now, might be worth a call to a local dealer.

L

Lincoln

Audioholic
Thanks for all the advice. I like the Athena but everyone seems to be out of stock on the white ones right now. I've installed some of the older Polk models in the past (when I was still working in this industry) and I loved the sound. I might just try those Advents since they are very inexpensive and seem to fit the bill. I knew I should have taken the Boston's when she moved :(

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
algernon said:
Anybody have experience with or opinions on the Yamaha NS-AW350 outdoor speakers? Of course my local best buy does not have the outdoor speaker display working.
I have Niles OS 10's but looked at the Yamaha's when I was shopping around. I thought the Yamaha's were very funky looking and I didn't want to spend the next 10 years looking at them on my patio. Even my wife didn't like them, the one time I was thankful for something not passing the WAF. I'm sure they sound fine.

C

Camst22

Audiophyte
Outdoor Speaker help

Hey there, I am working at a YMCA and we are going to be redoing our outdoor speakers around our pool area, we want to mont them on the roof, i have an older Reciever that i no longer use at my house and i am going to give it to them.

But I need a set of speakers that can send a good bit of sound out around the pool. Can you give me some sugjestions please. I am not looking to spend too much since it is for the YMCA and they have set budgets for each year. Please help me, thanks a lot.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Camst22 said:
Hey there, I am working at a YMCA and we are going to be redoing our outdoor speakers around our pool area, we want to mont them on the roof, i have an older Reciever that i no longer use at my house and i am going to give it to them.

But I need a set of speakers that can send a good bit of sound out around the pool. Can you give me some sugjestions please. I am not looking to spend too much since it is for the YMCA and they have set budgets for each year. Please help me, thanks a lot.
If they are mounted on the roof and aren't easily visible try the Yamaha speakers. The larger of the two models can be found on sale at Fry's frequently during the summer months.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Hello
Without a doubt The single best speaker type you can get for outdoor applications will be horn loaded There are several reasons for this Two that come to mind are
Dispersion characteristics and SPL Conventional designs will do the job but if you want to rock outside look at Klipsch ;)

L

Lincoln

Audioholic
I ended buying the Polk 55s. I found a new pair on Ebay from a good seller for a tad less then the ones on Ubid which kept the price just under $200 with shipping (within budget for once). I should have them next week sometime. I tried to get the Advents just b/c they were cheaper and my sis would love that but everyone reputable seems to be out of stock on the white ones. I know I will like the Polks sound and she will like them b/c they are similar to what she had at her old house.

Now I gotta figure out the in-ceilings she needs for her living room. Budget is $500 on these but I might have to use some of the budget for installation since there is no attic access above that room to run the wires. The previous home owner did in-ceiling speakers thru the entire house when they added the attic addition upstairs, all wires run to this one room without any ceiling or wall speakers. There is an extra set of unused wires coming out of the wall, so the wires might already be up in the ceiling...I just need to go up in the attic where the wires go and see if I can follow the unused set. Would a toner work to trace these wires (meaning - will I get a strong enough tone thru the sheetrock on the ceiling if the wires are just laying up there)???

porksoda

porksoda

Audioholic Intern
Lincoln said:

Look at sonance they may be a tad over your budget but they are very warm and natural-esque sounding speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis