Need NC headphone advice

B

BenP

Audiophyte
I need some new headphones, but I'm pretty picky about what I want and have not found any online yet that have quite struck my fancy. I found this forum searching for audiophile forums (go figure, eh) and am interested in any advice/opinions. Here's what I want:

1. Amazing sound. I listen to a huge variety of music, but in my experience classical music has been the most demanding in terms of a balanced and clear sound, so if I had to pick a genre in which to judge sound quality, that would probably be it.
2. I want noise-canceling headphones, but the noise cancellation is not as big a deal to me as the sound quality. If all I wanted was powerful noise cancellation, this would be a much easier choice and a lot cheaper too. Pretty much anything that cancels a fair amount of white noise is fine (airplane/car travel).
3. I really want in-line volume control. That's one thing that's been hanging me up on a lot of otherwise decent models.
4. Less than $150 would be great. I'm willing to give some ground here too though if I have to.

I've looked at Bose of course, but don't think it's worth the money for me (or anybody for that matter). I've also looked at some Sony models, and the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7, which are probably the closest to what I want but still not quite there.

One thing I have considered is getting a top-of-the-line pair of in-ear headphones, and putting my Wal-mart $25 noise cancellers over those when needed. I have done that before with my generic iPod earbuds and been fairly pleased with the results, but I don't know if I want to always carry two pairs of headphones around. Plus I haven't found any earbuds that I have been entirely pleased with either. In general, I think I would prefer a pair of full-sized noise-canceling headphones if I can find a pair that suits my fancy.

I would be very grateful for any opinions or suggestions!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Headphones

Classical music is very demanding. Unless you go into the stratoshpere and purchase electrostatic headphones then for you application you need to puhase headphones from the Sennheiser range. These are used by professionals the world over. However for your application you budget is too low if you want noise cancellation. No decent phones are going to have an inline volume control.

If you want noise canceling phones for your application then this is my recommendation.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/productdetail.asp?transid=500371

If you can do without noise cancellation, then these will get you close to budget.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/productdetail.asp?transid=newHD-3

These can be had on the net for just under $200.

Classical music is just much more demanding than other genre of music. A smooth frequency response free of resonance is essential.

Sennheiser headphones also have superior comfort.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
One thing I have considered is getting a top-of-the-line pair of in-ear headphones, and putting my Wal-mart $25 noise cancellers over those when needed.
There is no need to put the other phones over the top if you have true in-ear phones (canal phones) which are basically ear plugs with speakers. I have a pair of Sennheiser CX300s and they are very impressive. They have amazing bass response, a tight mid range, and an airy high end. They block out noise better than any active noise canceling phones I've tried. I've used them on a plane and was able to comfortably listen to music at a normal level without hearing ANY noise from the plane. I am very impressed.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
3. I really want in-line volume control. That's one thing that's been hanging me up on a lot of otherwise decent models.
You might want to invest in a headphone amp to use the volume control.

This is one of the least expensive quality amps. Gary is a good guy and will answer any of your questions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PA2V2-Headphones-Amplifier-Rechargeable-Headphone-Amp_W0QQitemZ190182311888QQihZ009QQcategoryZ3274QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And when I say least expensive I mean it. This hobby can become expensive.

http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/products/tomahawk

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Phones

The King of in ear phones are Shure.

http://www.shure.com/PersonalAudio/Products/Earphones/index.htm

They have an accessory kit that has an inline volume control.

This Sennheiser set has an inline control.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/productdetail.asp?transid=500939

Be aware that everybody's ear canals are different, which is why hearing aids are custom fitted from a mold of the ear canal. Many people find in ear phones uncomfortable, I know I do. Prolonged use of non custom in ear devices can lead to the development of ear canal infections, otitis Externa.

B

BenP

Audiophyte
Thank you all for the responses, I've been busy this evening looking over all those links :p

After surveying the market some more, I'm leaning toward getting a pair of ear canal headphones. I'm looking at some Sennheiser and Shure models, and also at these Etymotic ER-6i phones - anyone have an opinion on these? They are significantly cheaper than some other seemingly comparable headphones, maybe I'm overlooking something.

EDIT: won't let me post the link, not enough posts :rolleyes:

There are a number of those sennheiser headphones, both noise-canceling and not, that I would absolutely love to have but simply don't have the money for it right now (college student). Maybe in a few years. My laptop and my iPod, my two most frequent music sources, would probably not give them a good run for their money anyway . . .

Prolonged use of non custom in ear devices can lead to the development of ear canal infections, otitis Externa.
Is this a disclaimer or really a problem? I've never heard of anyone getting ear infections from headphone use.

You might want to invest in a headphone amp to use the volume control.

This is one of the least expensive quality amps. Gary is a good guy and will answer any of your questions.
Thanks, added to my watch list ;)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Otits externa

Originally Posted by TLS Guy View Post
Prolonged use of non custom in ear devices can lead to the development of ear canal infections, otitis externa.

Yes, this is a problem for some individuals, especially those that have had this before. The skin of the ear canal is quite fragile. The in ear phones bother some not at all, but others a lot. If the use of these devices is uncomfortable you will be more prone. Also the incidence will increase with prolonged use Once the skin of the inner ear canal becomes irritated then a weepy infection from a mixture of microorganisms ensues that can sometimes be stubborn and hard to eradicate.

The shape of the ear canal varies from individual to individual greatly. As I said before audiologists make a mold of the ear canal to cast the ear pieces for hearing aids, to minimize this problem, and increase comfort.

There is an old adage among ENT physicians, that says, " Never put anything in your ear smaller than your elbow."

When Shure first came out with their phones, their top line model offered having custom ear pieces made. I don't see them offering that now, as I suspect most customers did not see the benefit.

By the way I would go with the Shure or Sennheiser if you can stretch to it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis