Need more Bass? Use "Extra Bass" feature in your AV Receiver.

Discussion in 'GENERAL AV Discussions' started by admin, Jul 10, 2013.

1. admin Audioholics Robot Staff Member

admin
    Need more bass in your system? Do you have tower speakers that can play fullrange without distress?

If you answered Yes and Yes, then you should considering setting the main speakers to "large" and enabling the subwoofer for 2CH sources.

Yamaha refers to it as "Extra Bass", Onkyo "Double Bass", Denon "LFE+Main", and so on.

[​IMG]

Do you run your towers full range with an active sub? Discuss and Read our AV Extra Bass Tip
    • Like Like x 3
  2. AcuDefTechGuy Audioholic Slumlord

AcuDefTechGuy
    I like extra bass (LFE+Main) a lot. :D

I have dual Funk 18.0 (passive) subs.

I think the bass from my Salon2 improves the overall bass (LFE + Main) significantly.

I am still playing around w/ Audyssey Flat + Dynamic EQ, which has improved the bass substantially. But the added bass from the Salon2 is really nice. :D
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  3. 3db Audioholic Overlord

3db
    I run my towers full range and disengage YPAO on my receiver (RXV-1800) and run pure Direct. The problem with my pure direct is that it eliminates all DSP. I would need to rerun the YPAO setting and skip the EQ set up (pg 40 of the manual) and save it to a memory configuration and load it everytime I want to use this. I will not be running pure direct any more but a close copy of it. I'm assuming MAIN+LFE gets turned off as soon as I hit the Pure Direct button.

It will give me something to play with on a slow day. :)
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
    3db,
  4. Irvrobinson Audioholic Ninja

Irvrobinson
    Though I don't have an AVR, this article describes essentially what I ended up doing. I run my main speakers full-range, and then I use the sub to augment the lowest three octaves. My strategy differs from the article in that I'm not looking for more bass per se, but to a) create more bass sources, which smooths bass response, and b) use the sub to provide specific fill-in at those frequencies where room modes cause suck-outs in the seating point frequency response. This strategy presumes you have an in-room measurement tool and a DSP in the sub. The sub becomes a frequency band-specific fill-in for the mains, while the added bass source makes room modes less onerous, which can be tuned by adjusting placement of the sub. Much to my surprise I found this strategy worked better than using a high-pass filter on the mains and trying to optimize the placement of single sub. Assuming your tower speakers can pull it off, the value of one or more additional bass sources shouldn't be underestimated.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. gene Audioholics Master Chief Administrator

gene
    Great post! That is exactly what I am doing in my theater room. I run the Status 8Ts fullrange with no DSP or bass management. My processor is set to "no sub" so all of the summed bass + LFE goes to the front speakers. I then use the L/R preamp outs to connect to my Velodyne DD-15+ subs. I EQ and bass manage the subs with their built in software and use tehm primarily to smooth out and fill nulls in the listening area below 60Hz. It's a challenging setup process but it works great for pure 2CH audio and home theater alike.

I don't recommend 99% of installs to be like I have mine above but my speakers are a special circumstance in this case.
    gene,
    • Like Like x 1
  6. AcuDefTechGuy Audioholic Slumlord

AcuDefTechGuy
    The question is, would people benefit more by putting more budget towards more subwoofers by getting monitors, instead of towers?

For example, say a person has a $3K budget. He could get 2 towers + 1 sub for $3K or 2 monitors (same line as towers) + 3 subs (same subs). Which would be more beneficial?
  7. GranteedEV Audioholic Ninja

GranteedEV
    my Crown XLS-2000 has a programmable HPF. So I can actually do this without putting the towers at risk below their vent tuning.
  8. Mark of Cenla Audioholic

Mark of Cenla
    I am doing just that, using the "extra bass" feature on my Yamaha AVR. The fronts of my towers have a Goldwood 8" full range speaker, which can handle most of the bass on its own. Peace and goodwill.