Need help with Vienna Acoustics home theater set up

J

Jason Bohannon

Audiophyte
This problem began several months ago and its driving me crazy. I have Vienna Acoustics Mozart s in the front, the basic Vienna center channel speaker and Vienna Hayden's for the rear. The problem I'm encountering is I'm getting little sound from the front left and right Mozart's. When watching any television show the sound is fine when its coming from the center channel but whenever the main sound switches to the front left and right the sound virtually disappears. An example is when watching prime time football coverage. You would normally hear the crowd noises and the referee when he's talking on his mic explaining a penalty. I hear none or very little of that, like its muted or something. I suspect the problem may be my crappy AV Receiver. I just dont know enough about this stuff to know for sure. The receiver is a Sony STR-DG720. Also, when playing music if I switch to 2-channel mode, I have the same problem. I've checked all the connections and everything appears to be ok. Please help!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That receiver is sorely outlcassed by those speakers, but it sounds like it could be a setting, worst case something died in the receiver. How is the receiver connected and to what? BD player? Cable box? Direct to the TV? If you connect the center channel wire to each of the other speakers, do they sound fine? At least you can eliminate the speakers as the issue.

J

Jason Bohannon

Audiophyte
Everything is connected with HDMI. Have a blu ray player and Directv Genie. I did the center channel wire swap with the other speakers and theyre fine. The funny thing with this receiver is you can adjust the levels on all the speakers except the front left and right. Thanks for you're help.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Some receivers were like that, where everything else was set based on the levels of the mains. Since the speakers are fine, I'd look for somewhere that tells you how to do a factor reset of that receiver and see if that corrects it. If not, then start looking for a new one.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
My old yamaha receiver in family room is set up the same way-2000-2001 model.
The only way to hear more from the front left and right is to turn down the center and surround levels.
For normal tv viewing, I have the center level pretty high. When watching a movie, movie, I adjust for more balance.
Cheers, Mac

J

Jason Bohannon

Audiophyte
I'm about to purchase a used Denon AVR-887. My question is will this be a decent receiver to power these speakers and also should I set it up as 6 or 8 ohms? thanks.

G

GIEGAR

Full Audioholic
I'm about to purchase a used Denon AVR-887. My question is will this be a decent receiver to power these speakers and also should I set it up as 6 or 8 ohms? thanks.
It depends on a few things Jason, including your preferred maximum volume level and if you run a sub. The impedance trace of the Vienna Acoustics Mozarts (here) shows a dip below 4Ω at 43Hz and swathe below 4Ω from 100hz to 400Hz. If you run a sub, the dip at 43Hz is out of the picture straight away. If you run a high enough (120Hz) crossover to the sub, the impact of the lower part of the "swathe" will be reduced. If you like to crank it up and listen at loud levels, the AVR may struggle to swing the required current into the low impedance load at those mid to upper bass frequencies. This will be exacerbated if you don't run a sub. If this does eventuate, you could solve the problem by adding a stereo amp to power the front channels. However for the probable cost involved, you could've got an AVR with beefier amps. If you only ever listen at moderate volume levels, there's unlikely to be a problem.

Jason, I wouldn't recommend buying that AVR anyway, mainly because it cannot receive and process the lossless audio codecs available on Blu-ray (dts MA; Dolby TrueHD). Do you have a budget figure in mind for an AVR?

You should leave any AVR set at . In short, what a "Low Z" (4Ω or 6Ω) mode generally does is engage a circuit that significantly limits the output voltage of the AVR. This is simply for the purposes of continuous full power heat dissipation testing by the electrical safety product certifiers (e.g. checking the unit doesn't get too hot to touch). This mode effectively limits the voltage available to the speaker but greatly increases the risk of clipping the amps due to them being "gelded". The latest Audioholics AVR review even says: NEVER use the low impedance setting regardless of your speakers impedance!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Did you check all the speaker channel levels?

Front Left ?
Center ?
Front Right ?
Surround Right ?
Surround Left ?

On the LCD screen of the receiver, does it say "Dolby Digital" when you were watching football ?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Not to be funny, but could you have your front and rear speakers cross connected?

But, if it has worked in the past and you've changed nothing, odds are the receiver is on it's way out. Replace it with one with enough power to properly drive those speakers.

J

Jason Bohannon

Audiophyte
Thanks for the response. I'll go ahead and pass on this particular receiver. My budget unfortunately at this time is around $500. I don't have a problem buying a higher end used receiver if thats what it takes. Also, I would say the receiver will be used about 70% movies/tv and 30% music. I usually play most things at moderate volumes, only occasionally cranking the volume.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for the response. I'll go ahead and pass on this particular receiver. My budget unfortunately at this time is around $500. I don't have a problem buying a higher end used receiver if thats what it takes. Also, I would say the receiver will be used about 70% movies/tv and 30% music. I usually play most things at moderate volumes, only occasionally cranking the volume.

Here are a few receiver options to ponder:

https://emotiva.com/products/receivers/fusion-8100

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr5008/marantz-sr5008-7.2-network-home-theater-receiver-with-airplay/1.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00J8HV5D2/ref=sr_1_1_olp?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1414636511&sr=1-1&keywords=RX-A740&condition=used

Acoustat

Acoustat

Full Audioholic
When I turned off the Dynamic Volume on my new AVR (default to ON)
the volume was increased a good bit with 4 ohm speakers running.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis