Need help with surround build

S

Spotopolis

Audiophyte
Hi all. This is my first post. I'm not new to HT Setups, but I'm no expert. I'm looking for some help or recommendations on how to go about getting the best out of my speakers at home. I am needing to purchase a good 7 channel surround receiver to power my speakers. I have been looking into the Onkyo TX-NR626 because it looks like it has enough power and has a lot of features I would like to and will use. I would just like to know if the more seasoned Audiophytes think this will work or if I need another solution. It is a mix-match of speakers that I have. That being said, This is what I have and would like to run for a surround system.

I have a pair of Cerwin Vega 211R's (1974)
A pair of Klipsch Heresy 1's (also early '70's I believe)
2 Pioneer TS-X11's (I'm pretty sure these are car speakers, but sound nice. 1981 or so.)
I have a Panasonic center speaker
and a Pair of Keenwood stereo speakers.

I have tested these all on my Yamaha r-900 stereo amp. They all work and sound great. Right now I have the Klipsch's and the CV's hooked up to the Yamaha and use it for music. My goal here is to expand this to something that allows me to use at least the Vegas, Klipsch, and the Panasonic center for a surround sound setup. I just want to make sure that I have a receiver that will push enough power and not filter out any frequencies that make these vintage speakers awesome. I don't want to end up with the something like CV's only being used as highs and loosing the full range of sound they can produce.

Last edited:
S

Spotopolis

Audiophyte
Quick note. Was wrong about the center speaker its a Pioneer CS-C280-K

1.21GigaWatts

Audiophyte
Hi Spotopolis. My first post here as well.

First, your 211r speakers have mismatched woofers.

Second, I believe you would be doing the heresy set a disservice by placing them in a surround, even as mains.

My advice, keep the heresy set for stereo, and start fresh with home theater.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

S

Spotopolis

Audiophyte
The 211r's woofers are the same. One was just re-foamed. Thats why it looks different, but the speakers themselves are the same model. Im going to re-foam both of them myself here soon. I picked these up at a thrift shop for $60 a few months ago. I was very happy to find they still mostly work. One of the rear horns doesn't fire and I think needs the diaphragm replaced.

I have the Logitec z5500 surround setup currently, but want to replace it with something more advanced. I know that these vintage speakers are better off with a tube amp, or just an older amp in general, but I would like to find the best possible way to hook them up in a surround setup. My dad has a mix-match system with new and old speakers that sounds amazing and I could have something similar, I just need a good receiver to do so.

Last edited:
ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
IMO I don't think you will be able to get better then what you currently have from the speakers you have mentioned for a surround sound perspective. At least not one worth the money/effort. If you are looking toward a good HT I would think about getting an AVR and using some of those speakers perhaps as a L R. You would be able to set those speakers up in a surround sound configuration but it might not be fulfilling.

If you are looking to take a step forward I would suggest getting an ave and a good pair of fronts and work from there.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis