Need help with Sub placement and possible side surrounds.

J

jagust1

Enthusiast
Hey guys,

You helped me and my father out a year or so ago in purchasing a sub for our system. The system is as follows:
Receiver: Denon AVR 3806
Fronts: Paradigm Reference Series stereo 40s
Center: Paradigm Studio cc570
Surround Backs: Paradigm ADP v3
Subwoofer: Outlaw EFM-1 EX
TV: Sharp Aquos LC-52SE94U (we are upgrading to new tv soon unsure what type looking at 60in less than 2k might wait for 4K tvs to go down soon)

We got two new couches and our room has moved around. We think there is a better place for the sub but we are unsure. We are also building or buying a riser for the sub (finally). I attached the pictures, I would appreciate if you guys could give input on improving his system. He is also contemplating adding 2 speakers to make it a 7.1 system and if you have input on what and where it could be placed in this oddly shaped room with open spaces. The room size is 23x15x8 (LxWxH). Let me know if there is any other information you need. Also if you just want to put your quick 2cents in on TVs I'd appreciate it too.
I took all the photos from the corner of the room. Ill attach a few more in another post since the max is 5 per post.

IMG_1906.jpgIMG_1907.jpgIMG_1908.jpgIMG_1909.jpg

PS dont ask why my dog sleeps with his head off of his bed....:confused:

S

SearchofSub

Banned
Do a sub crawl. The sub is always best located at the back where your seating position is. Then the sub should be atleast 15' from the back wall. This is usually where the sub would perform their best.

T

tvrgeek

Enthusiast
I have been through the sub placement game for many years. I have one simple effective solution. In my small movie room, I built the sub into the wall just above the TV. It is exactly the same distance from the L and R mains. This makes dealing with the phase and time offset much easier. The very worst place for a single sub is off center. ( like a corner). Of course, with multiple subs the variables multiply. I found the best integration for two subs is to use them as main speaker stands. Again, this is to make the phase issues easier to deal with. Before anyone jumps on my conclusions, I fully respect every room and every set of speakers may be very different.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis