Need help with In-ceiling speaker selection

H

hermana

Audiophyte
Hey guys,
Total newbie here. I'm putting together a 7.1 home theatre system and would like to hear some of your advice and recomendations. I am planning on going with Infinity Primus P363 towers in the front, Infinity Primus PC 351 center channel and the Infinity PS312 Sub. The rears and middle speakers will be in-ceiling and I need some recomendations you think will work well with the others.
- 6.5" vs 8"
- should all 4 be the same?
- looking for the best value

Also I was thinkin of going with the Yamaha RX - V673 reciever.

Any thoughts or recomendations would be greatly appreciated

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
My opinion: ceiling speakers and home theater should not be used in the same sentence; unless you the words "ceiling speakers" are followed by "should not be used in".

When you think about the principle theories underlying 5.1 and 7.1 systems, you will compromise the sound from your sides and rear by going to an in-ceiling design.

Now, if architectural circumstances are forcing you in the area, then there isn't much you can do. But if that isn't the only reason you are considering an in-ceiling speaker, then I would recommend going with dipoles/quadpoles for sides and rears.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
My opinion: ceiling speakers and home theater should not be used in the same sentence; unless you the words "ceiling speakers" are followed by "should not be used in".

When you think about the principle theories underlying 5.1 and 7.1 systems, you will compromise the sound from your sides and rear by going to an in-ceiling design.

Now, if architectural circumstances are forcing you in the area, then there isn't much you can do. But if that isn't the only reason you are considering an in-ceiling speaker, then I would recommend going with dipoles/quadpoles for sides and rears.
I have no back wall and my side walls won't work for speakers.

I agree, ideally you wouldn't use in-ceilings in your main system but you have to have compromises.

Front wall:

Back of room:

Side wall:

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis