Need help with Denon 3808ci reciver problem

D

dieseldan84

Audiophyte
I have a Denon 3808ci reciver and recently it stopped working it powers up but i get nothing out of the speakers, but if i connect head phones i get sound on the head phones??? Anyone with some advice??:confused:

Thanks, Dan

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a Denon 3808ci reciver and recently it stopped working it powers up but i get nothing out of the speakers, but if i connect head phones i get sound on the head phones??? Anyone with some advice??:confused:

Thanks, Dan
I seem to remember we had one of those receivers do that a few months back.

First make sure that the HDMI audio out has not got set to on. This will make your speakers silent, but the TV will output audio. To hear sound from speakers connected to the receiver HDMI audio out must be set to off.

I trust you have done a reset. This is likely to have low yield, but worth a shot.

Now if the above fails, and your receiver has failed: -

The fact the headphones work, says the preamp is working.

Now the most likely issue would be that the high voltage power supply board has failed. The pre amp is low voltage and the power amps high.

There is a thread about this receivers problems on the AVS forum. The problem is that people have put a lot of money into repair of these receivers and not solved the problem.

Here is what I would do.

See if there is audio at each of the pre outs. If there is then the processing board is OK. This will confirm my hunch about power supply issues.

If the pre outs are working I would keep that unit as a pre amp, and buy external amplification for all channels. That way your receiver will not be a total loss. The big benefit is that you will have a much better system.

Contrary to others views on these forums, receivers have poor power amp stages. Good external amps will see receiver amps all the way home.

I assume this receiver is out of warranty, as they only carried a year, and they are out of production.

If this unit has failed, I would use it as an excuse for a big upgrade.

I personally would absolutely never consider using a receiver to power speakers. Absolutely never.

D

dieseldan84

Audiophyte
I did not do a reset, what do i need to do to reset the unit?

Thanks, Dan

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I did not do a reset, what do i need to do to reset the unit?

Thanks, Dan
Following is from the manual

"Resetting the Microprocessor
Perform this procedure if the display is abnormal or if
operations cannot be performed.
When the microprocessor is reset, all the settings are
reset to their default values.
1 Turn off the power using <POWER>.
2 Press <POWER> while simultaneously pressing
<STANDARD> and <DSP SIMULATION>.
3 Once the display starts flashing at intervals of about 1
second, release the two buttons."

By the way, please don't get discouraged with one failure if this proves to be a failure of the internal amp section. I have a 3805 that is now 6 to 7 years old and there has been zero problems. For many HT room applications there are nothing wrong with using a capable AVR such as the 3808 that typically carries a 3 year warranty not 1. Obviously there are also going to be many rooms and applications that required the use of more powerful external power amps.

With all due respect to our very knowledgeable TLS Guy, I will never, never, ever agree with his strong general statements about the use of AVR's internal amps, but of course we are all entitled to our opinions and have to agree to disagree from time to time.

D

dieseldan84

Audiophyte
I found the manual and reset the unit last night and everything is back to normal. Thanks for all the help!!!!!

Thanks, Dan

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis