Need help/suggestions for separates

• Thread starter VegasBuiltRebel
  • Start date
V

VegasBuiltRebel

Enthusiast
I'm planning on purchasing a Denon 3808CI tomorrow. If the store still has the 3808CI available I'm going to be able to get a pretty good deal on it which will leave me with money leftover to buy an amp(s) or second subwoofer.

First: should I go with amps or a second subwoofer?
Second: What amps should I go with? Emotiva has a sale right now for the XPA-2 and XPA-3 that is tempting. I've also been looking at Rotel's RMB-1095 and Parasound's 5250.

This decision has me really stressed because of the amount of money involved and my expectations for improvement are high. I'm leaning towards the second subwoofer first because I use my system for mostly movies/video games.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Best advice.

Hi Vegas,

The Denon AVR-3808CI is an excellent receiver, plus an excellent match with your Klipsch speakers. I highly recommend it for your situation. It should be around $900. That's the price they are now going for. :)

A second subwoofer would be the best choice, before getting an external amp.
It will allow you to have a much better low bass sound balance in your room.
This is extremely beneficial, more than an additional amp. :)

The Emotiva XPA-2 is a dynamite amp, and at rhe sale price, it is a fantastic deal, so is the XPA-3. But the XPA-2 amp is the better one, with true power to spare. But you might be just as good to go with the XPA-3, because your Klipsch speakers are exceptionally sensitive, plus you get the extra benefit to power your center speaker, plus at the price right now, it's a no-brainer. :)

The Rotel RMB-1095 is a superb mutichannel power amp, extremely well build with amazing lab test results, plus lots of clean power with great sound quality. A very reliable amp, from a solid reputable manufacturer.
Just cost more than the Emotiva amps, but you might be able to get an excellent deal at Audiogon, so keep your eyes and ears open. :)

The Parasound 5250 is another great amp by again a great company.
And again, you might be able to get a great deal for it.

* You sure know how to pick the best valued amps around. :)
And you do make my job harder on which one to recommend you first.
But like I said, go with the sub first. Getting the same model subwoofer (JL Audio Fathom f113) as you already have will be the very best choice, for the exact perfect balance in your room.
And if your room is not HUGE, pick the Emotiva XPA-3 (only $539) to power your three front main speakers, then your new Denon AVR-3808CI receiver for the four remaining surround speakers. That way, you'll save the most money, and you put audio performance and wisdom first. :)
Remember, you got Klipsch speakers, which are easy to drive with their very high sensitivity.

Your 'leaning' into having a second sub is the right lean, that's a true smart choice.
Trust me, I know, I got two of the same subs in my room. And the bass is much more balanced at more listening positions. It just works wonder at equalize the equilibrium of peaks and nulls in your room.

Hope this confirms what you seem to already know. :)

Cheers,
Bob

V

VegasBuiltRebel

Enthusiast
Thanks for the great advice. Just keeping my fingers crossed that my local electronics store still has the 3808CI available for $899. I keep putting this purchase off. One quick comment: if I went with Emotiva I would buy BOTH the XPA-2 and XPA-3 for my 5.1 system. At least that's what I thought was implied by Emotiva's promotion. You get the XPA-2 for your mains and the XPA-3 for center and surrounds. You've definitely convinced me to get the subwoofer first. But regarding the amp I'm leaning towards the Rotel. I don't mind paying a little more buck for more bang/quality. Knowing that, would the Rotel be the better choice over the Emotiva. Or is the difference between the two not worth it?

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Thanks for the great advice. Just keeping my fingers crossed that my local electronics store still has the 3808CI available for $899. I keep putting this purchase off. One quick comment: if I went with Emotiva I would buy BOTH the XPA-2 and XPA-3 for my 5.1 system. At least that's what I thought was implied by Emotiva's promotion. You get the XPA-2 for your mains and the XPA-3 for center and surrounds. You've definitely convinced me to get the subwoofer first. But regarding the amp I'm leaning towards the Rotel. I don't mind paying a little more buck for more bang/quality. Knowing that, would the Rotel be the better choice over the Emotiva. Or is the difference between the two not worth it?
Don't worry, the 3808 will still be at $899. :) If not, ask your dealer to price match.

Subwoofer first, DEFINITIVELY. :)

You are very smart Vegas. :) Honest man, I would also go with the Rotel RMB-1095 in my own system. Look for a good deal on it at Audiogon.
The Rotel, DEFINITIVELY. :)
I can give you tons of links from raved reviews about the 1095, but why should I do that?
I already know that you already know all about it, right? ;)

Cheers Vegas,
Bob

V

VegasBuiltRebel

Enthusiast
Like I said in another thread, you should be an a/v shrink. Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Ty

Like I said in another thread, you should be an a/v shrink. Thanks for putting my mind at ease.
Good morning Vegas,

Funny that you just mentioned that, now I remember you. :)

* Thanks man for the nice compliment.

** By the way, I'm also good with people. ;)

You have a great day sir,
Bob

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis