Need Help - No Sound Coming In Thru Speakers Watching LG Wireless Internet

S

sarahwitt3

Audiophyte
Just purchased and connected an LG wireless-internet ready LV5500 TV. We have two speakers that are working for everything I connected - DirectTV programming, iPod, CD player, DVD - except no sound can be heard when we switch over to the wireless internet content. We tested Vudu, Netflix and YouTube and there is no sound coming in through the speakers.

The video does play but the audio coming in through the speakers is still playing whatever channel we had on DirectTV. The only way I can hear the audio for whatever wireless internet content is showing on the screen is if I turn my home theater speakers all the way down and turn the speakers for the LG TV all the way up.

Obviously we want the sound for the wireless internet content to be playing through our home stereo speakers. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help! I am not good at this stuff!

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
You didn't specify exactly how DirectTV, iPod, et al are connected. Are they connected to a receiver and the receiver (for video) connected to the TV?

The issue is that the TV itself is the device that is connected to the internet and doing the streaming; therefore the audio arrives at the TV - not the receiver that has speakers connected to it. It's the same issue as when people connect their cable directly to the TV and use the TV's internal tuner instead of an external cable box that is connected to a receiver.

You just have to run the audio out from the TV to the receiver and choose the input on the receiver where the TV is connected when you are streaming content from the internet. On some TVs you have to turn the TV's internal speakers off to activate the audio outs, whether you can use optical audio out or use the analog audio outs.

S

sarahwitt3

Audiophyte
Thanks so much for your quick response. Here is how I've connected everything - can you recommend what I need to change? I'm still confused.

HDMI In #2 on the TV connected to HDMI Out on receiver
HDMI #1 on receiver connected to DirectTV box HDMI (only one port here - I am assuming it is HDMI Out?)

I have a Logitech universal remote that lets me assign inputs for each device and programmed it so that DirectTV plays properly thru the speakers when I have:
TV = HDMI 2
Receiver = HDMI 1

Any tips on what to change would be greatly appreciated! I have 4 places for HDMI on the TV, several on the receiver, and only one on my DirectTV box.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks so much for your quick response. Here is how I've connected everything - can you recommend what I need to change? I'm still confused.

HDMI In #2 on the TV connected to HDMI Out on receiver
HDMI #1 on receiver connected to DirectTV box HDMI (only one port here - I am assuming it is HDMI Out?)

I have a Logitech universal remote that lets me assign inputs for each device and programmed it so that DirectTV plays properly thru the speakers when I have:
TV = HDMI 2
Receiver = HDMI 1

Any tips on what to change would be greatly appreciated! I have 4 places for HDMI on the TV, several on the receiver, and only one on my DirectTV box.
Right, so the DirectTV box is the source of the sound and it is output over HDMI to your receiver. The receiver keeps the sound part for itself and directs it to the speakers attached to the receiver. The video is forwarded to the TV from the receiver's HDMI out to the TV's HDMI 2 input.

Now for the internet streaming, the TV itself is the source of the audio and video. It will play both the audio and video unless you tell it to direct the audio somewhere else (the receiver).

I found the TV on LG's website and the specs say it has an optical digital audio out. So you need an optical audio cable from the TV's optical digital audio out to an optical input on the receiver. Digital audio inputs on the receiver need to be 'assigned' to an input selector. Say your receiver has an input labeled 'TV' and you want to use that for watching and listening to internet streaming content from the TV. Assign the optical input to the the 'TV' input selector (the receiver manual should show you how, it's usually very simple) and the receiver will be playing the audio from the TV whenever you select the TV input on the receiver.

You can set up another macro on the remote to automatically switch to the input for watching the internet content coming from the TV.

S

sarahwitt3

Audiophyte
Thank you! Now it makes sense. Not sure why I was having a hard time grasping that concept but I get it now. I currently have an optical cable running from the DVD to the receiver so I will use regular audio cables for the DVD and move the optical to the TV>Receiver. Thanks again!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis