Need help hooking up Crown 2 channel amp to receiver

O

ottopookey

Audioholic Intern
Seems straight forward....but all i hear is muffled bass from the front speakers , i checked the connections twice and reversed them just to be sure i hooked it up correctly. Pre outs L R from receiver to Crown, speaker wire to Crown terminals Ch1 & Ch 2 , done correct???

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Seems straight forward....but all i hear is muffled bass from the front speakers , i checked the connections twice and reversed them just to be sure i hooked it up correctly. Pre outs L R from receiver to Crown, speaker wire to Crown terminals Ch1 & Ch 2 , done correct???
Sounds like you have the amp connected to LFE pre outs. What is your receiver? Does it have the correct pre outs for what you are trying to do?

O

ottopookey

Audioholic Intern
Yamaha RX 700, theres tons of pre outs....should i use rca cables, i used coaxial cables...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Yamaha RX 700, theres tons of pre outs....should i use rca cables, i used coaxial cables...
You should use RCA cables, however I can't imagine that the cable impedance mismatch would cause such a drastic problem. Make sure you do have it connected to the left and right main pre outs. Double check that and use RCA cables. If you still have this issue there is a fault in the Yamaha or the Crown. You will have to sort out which.

O

ottopookey

Audioholic Intern
ok, i kinda of rushed putting it together right from work. just thinking i knew how to do it...i'll give it a shot when i get home

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It doesn't matter if you use analog RCA or digital coaxial RCA cables for the pre-out.

Just make sure the pre-OUT are actually the FRONT LEFT and FRONT RIGHT OUTPUT from the Yamaha and connect to the INPUT of the Crown amp. :)

O

ottopookey

Audioholic Intern
on the Crown Amp Ch1 Ch2 is / L R in back of my receiver?

i switched them just to be sure last night and nothing changed. just muffled bass and low audio unlesss my speaker wires werent in all the way. low stereo bypass was one the Crown indicator, but i couldnt toggle thru the Crown set up either....

O

ottopookey

Audioholic Intern
ok , got sound from one speaker but not the other....what do i need to do in the Crown settings??? such as frequienies/crossover etc.

I have Polk m 70s for the fronts and XVSE30 PSA sub....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

ok , got sound from one speaker but not the other....what do i need to do in the Crown settings??? such as frequienies/crossover etc.

I have Polk m 70s for the fronts and XVSE30 PSA sub....
What Crown amp have you got. I have never seen a power amp with anything other than elementary.

You connect the main right and left pre outs to the Crown amp inputs, and an LFE pre out goes to your sub.

Now I see the Polks can be bi-wired. So If you are not bi-wiring from the Crown to the speakers, make sure the jumpers are installed between the high pass and low pass crossover sections on the back of the Polk speakers.

Now check the speaker settings in the speaker set up on your Yamaha. If you have done all that correctly, then that is as far as I can go to help you.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
He may have it bridged.

I think it's time for OP to do something drastic.....like break down....and READ THE MANUAL!:rolleyes:

LOL! That reminded of another recent situation at my work. A coworker in a different area than me had an ongoing problem for 6 months, the vendor had sent out 2 different "experts" on 2 different occasions, and they could not solve the problem.

I was speaking to the coworker, and I solved the problem in 10 minutes! How? Why? The info that was needed was in the manual for the new equipment! I had actually read the manual cover to cover a couple years before and when I heard the problem, I remembered reading about it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

He may have it bridged.

I think it's time for OP to do something drastic.....like break down....and READ THE MANUAL!:rolleyes:
He is really sparse with inforamtion.

We may have a TSTOEQ on our hands with this one.

O

ottopookey

Audioholic Intern
Crown NXLS1500-0-US Power Amplifier

I'm new to all of this ..thanks.

No bi-wiring..and does my sub need to hooked pto the Crown? being that my sub already has an amp??

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
OK, I give up. What does "TSTOEQ" stand for?

I THINK I have an idea but I'm not positive. It's not exactly complimentary. Something about operating equipment?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Crown NXLS1500-0-US Power Amplifier

I'm new to all of this ..thanks.

No bi-wiring..and does my sub need to hooked pto the Crown? being that my sub already has an amp??
No you do not connect a powered sub to the Crown. As I said before you connect the sub to an LFE output on your Yamaha receiver.

You should have told us which Crown amp you were using. I can't mind read you or snoop on your set up.

Your amp has built in electronic crossovers which you should not be using.

I can bet you had the amp set to low pass mode, and now you have one channel set to high pass and one to low pass.

It is all on page 4 of the manual. Now read it before you make any further posts. You have wasted a lot of your time and ours already.

1. Hold the “Mode/Menu” button down for 3 sec until the LCD screen displays
“Amp Mode <More>”.
2. Press the “Mode/Menu” button to begin confi guring the Amp Mode.
3. Press the “Next” button until the LCD screen displays “Input Y”. Now press the “Mode/Menu” button to confi rm.
4. Now press the “Next” button until the LCD screen displays “XOVER” and press the “Mode/Menu” button to confi rm.
5. Now use the “Previous” or “Next” button to select your desired crossover point.
6. Once you have selected your crossover point, press the “Mode/Menu” button to confi rm your selection. The LCD screen should
now read “Input Y XOVER”.

Obviously you should not be in any of those modes.

This is the mode you need to be in.

XLS Series
Power Amplifi ers
Operation Manual
page 4
Stereo Bypass Mode
This is the default mode the amplifi er is set to from the factory. The amplifi er is
confi gured for stereo mode with the PureBand™ Crossover System Bypassed.
1. Connect Left/Right signal source to Channel 1 and Channel 2 using either
the XLR, ¼ Inch, or RCA connectors.
2. Connect a speaker to each channel output using Speakon
®
, Banana Plugs,

So presumably you scroll through the menu once you get into it until you see Stereo Bypass mode and select it.

One other thing make sure your amp in not in bridge mode.

O

ottopookey

Audioholic Intern
thanks to all..... i needed a quick answer being here at work...and forgot to mention no maual....sorry for all the confusion

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

thanks to all..... i needed a quick answer being here at work...and forgot to mention no maual....sorry for all the confusion
You can download all your manuals. I did and so can you!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Press the Mode/Menu button x 3 seconds until LCD reads "Amp Mode". Press Mode/Menu again. Press Next button until the LCD screen reads "Stereo". Press Mode/Menu to confirm. Then Press Next button until it reads "Bypass". Then press Mode/menu again to finish.

Now it should be the factory default - Stereo mode and Bypassing all crossover functions.

Man, now I know more about his amp than when I actually owned it. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis