Need help finding quality home theater system for around $3,000

N

NewAudioGuy

Audiophyte
Hi guys, I'm looking for some help picking out the best home theater system on a $3,000 budget (a little flexible if it would make a big difference in sound).

I'm building a new house with a living room that is 14'-9" by 21'-2" and is open to a kitchen/morning room that is another 10'-9" by 29'-1".

To please the wife I think it is best to do floor standing speakers in front and possibly small jewel speakers I can hang in the rear from the walls near the ceiling, as I don't have a way to wire speakers to an ideal location behind the sofa. I could do ceiling mount speakers above the sofa for a 7.1 or 7.2 system.

I've looked at several types of systems so far like the following:

Orb Mod2x

Bowers & Wilkins MT-60D

I realize each of these systems lack the front floor standing speakers, but there are just so many to choose from, I can't possibly list all of the ones I have looked at.

Finally, I'll probably want to receiver that I can handle upgrades as time goes on. I currently have a 65" 4K TV (no 3D), so even if I go with a 5.1 system now, I want the power to handle a nice 7.2 system later.

Thanks for your help and advice!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The speaker systems you have listed are satellite speakers systems, and satellite speakers are only good for desktop PC audio systems (even in that application I would prefer something more capable). If I were you, I would go for a 5.2 system and just use in-ceiling speakers for the surround channels. You will not get benefits from the rear surrounds in a 7.x in-ceiling surround system, so just keep it 5.x. If I were you, I would skip tower speakers and just get some capable bookshelf speakers. The chief advantage of tower speakers over similar bookshelf speakers is bass extension, but you won't be really using that extension in a system with properly setup subwoofers, so it is a waste.

I would be looking at some Ascend CBM-170s or Hsu HB-1 mk2s. The HTD Level Threes look like they might work well too. If you can fit one of these as center channels speakers instead of their corresponding center speakers, I would do so. Typical horizontal center speakers are a compromised design, you get better performance from a regular bookshelf speaker. For subwoofers, I would be looking at anything from Reaction, Hsu VTF3 or VTF15h, or the Rythmik FVX15. For the receiver, I would be looking at something around the $800 point from Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha, or Marantz, whichever have the features most appealing to you. If you want a killer system, here is one suggestion: a Hsu hybrid 3.1 package, and add another VTF 3 sub and a pair of the Hsu HIWs for the ceiling speakers, and use a Denon AVR-X4100 for the receiver. That will make for a kill system for a tad over $3k.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The speaker systems you have listed are satellite speakers systems, and satellite speakers are only good for desktop PC audio systems (even in that application I would prefer something more capable). If I were you, I would go for a 5.2 system and just use in-ceiling speakers for the surround channels. You will not get benefits from the rear surrounds in a 7.x in-ceiling surround system, so just keep it 5.x. If I were you, I would skip tower speakers and just get some capable bookshelf speakers. The chief advantage of tower speakers over similar bookshelf speakers is bass extension, but you won't be really using that extension in a system with properly setup subwoofers, so it is a waste.

I would be looking at some Ascend CBM-170s or Hsu HB-1 mk2s. The HTD Level Threes look like they might work well too. If you can fit one of these as center channels speakers instead of their corresponding center speakers, I would do so. Typical horizontal center speakers are a compromised design, you get better performance from a regular bookshelf speaker. For subwoofers, I would be looking at anything from Reaction, Hsu VTF3 or VTF15h, or the Rythmik FVX15. For the receiver, I would be looking at something around the $800 point from Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha, or Marantz, whichever have the features most appealing to you. If you want a killer system, here is one suggestion: a Hsu hybrid 3.1 package, and add another VTF 3 sub and a pair of the Hsu HIWs for the ceiling speakers, and use a Denon AVR-X4100 for the receiver. That will make for a kill system for a tad over $3k.
The X3100w would save him $200-$300 but it is hard to give up Audyssey XT32/Sub EQHT that is a big step up from XT.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The SubEQ is a very nice feature for anyone wanting to do more than 1 sub.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis