Need Help Connecting Components To Receiver!!

G

guitarplyrstevo

Audioholic
Hi guys I am a salesman at Fry's Electronics and had recently sold a home theater to a customer. The home theater that I sold came with the Onkyo TX-SR505. The customer came to me today and said they were having problems connecting everything to their receiver so I told them I would go over to their house tomorrow after work and connect all their components to their receiver free of charge. I am pretty sure how to do it but I would like to get a second look on this and make sure what I am doing is right.

The components they currently have are the following:
TV
Onkyo 505
DVD player
2 karaoke systems
Comcast cable box
CoolSat satellite box

This is how I have everything connected:

DVD connected to receiver with an HDMI to "HDMI in 1" for video and "optical 1" for sound.

One karaoke connected with a composite but I am not sure which input I should connect it to and how to switch to it.

The other karaoke connected with a composite cable but I am not sure which input to connect it to and how to switch to it.

Comcast cable box connected with component cable in the "cbl/sat in" for video and "digital coaxial 1" for sound.

Satellite connected with a composite cable to "VCR/DVR in" for video and "Digital coaxial 2" for audio.

From the receiver I have one composite cable out from the recevier to display the karaoke video, one component video out to display the comcast and satellite video, and one HDMI out to display the DVD video.

I know I can connect the 2 karaoke systems into the "cbl/sat in" and the "VCR/DVR in" in the composite in's but how do I switch from composite to component and visa versa? For example: If they want comcast they are going to press "cbl/sat in" and digital input "coax 1". If they want karaoke they are going to press "cbl/sat in" but how would I activate the composite section?

Also is there anything else that I should know? Assigning anything? This is the first time I've ever connected a complete home theater system and am little nervous since I am doing it tomorrow after work.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
It looks about right and you can use any input that has composite video for the karoke machines. The labels are just for convenience and don't correspond to functionality.

You don't switch video on a receiver. There is a well defined order and the manual should describe it (all receivers works pretty much the same way). Because you have multiple video formats and the receiver does not transcode from one format to another you will need to make multiple connections to the TV and switch the video source at the TV.

HDMI in goes to HDMI out, component video in goes to component video out, composite/s-video in goes to composite/s-video out ('monitor out'). So with HDMI for the DVD player and an HDMI cable to the TV, the TV has to be on the HDMI input. When you switch to the input for one of the karaoke machines, you'd have a composite cable from monitor out on the receiver to a composite input on the TV and will have to switch the TV input to the one you connected to the composite video cable to.

A universal remote with macro capablity can make all that switching into a one button affair.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis