Need help choosing speakers

P

PsychoZX

Audiophyte
I am looking for a nice set of 7 speakers for use with my home theater system. I am looking to spend under a $1000 for all of them. I don't really have any preference for any paticular brand or type of speaker. If they are bookshelfs then the stands to be figured into my budget. I will most likely be pairing them with a Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS. I already have a decent sub (jbl e250p) that i'm happy with so no need for working a sub into the budget. I have no problem with buying used as long (I would actually prefer it if it would get me better speakers for my money) as I don't have to look around forever for the speakers to show up on the used market.

mytzen

mytzen

Audioholic
You can look at Athena speakers, they are at reduced prices on audioadvisor.com Best Buy also carries them if you wanted to hear them first.
You can get a set of F2.2, a C1.2 and 2 pairs of B1.2's for under $800, they also offer free shipping.

Other set you may want to check out is the BIC Acoustech line.

3x10^8

3x10^8

Audioholic
Rather than spending your budget on 7 speakers, how about allocating your budget towards 5 better speakers? You'll be MUCH happier you did, imo...

P

PsychoZX

Audiophyte
Those BIC Acoustech speakers look really nice. I'm torn between them and the Athenas.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
3x10^8 said:
Rather than spending your budget on 7 speakers, how about allocating your budget towards 5 better speakers? You'll be MUCH happier you did, imo...
I agree whole heartedly with the above.

P

PsychoZX

Audiophyte
3x10^8 said:
Any suggestions on 5 speakers then?

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
For 5.0 speakers

You can probably get an Axiom system in your budget. Check out their outlet page for an extra 10% off. Also, check out paradigm at a local dealer.

P

PsychoZX

Audiophyte
I have decided to go with the BIC Acoustech speakers. Thanks for the help everyone.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Horn loaded tweeters

Audition some of the Klipsch speakers at your local BB or CC to make sure the like the sound or horn loaded tweeters like the Bic Acoustechs.
If not, look into the Bic Venturi line, Onix X-LS or other options.

mkossler

mkossler

Audioholic
jcPanny's advice is really very good. Many people find the horn-loaded sound too bright for their taste, especially if they tend to listen at higher volumes. Some, on the other hand, like the perceived detail horns generally provide.

It's a minor investment to make sure you'll be getting something you will like for the long term. :)

Good luck, and have fun!

-Matty K.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis