Need help choosing receiver...

W

will5023

Audiophyte
Hi, everybody,

I used to lurk here a lot but drifted away. I come back hoping you can give me some advice.

I'm installing a small system at my folks' place (11x14 room) and I need help choosing a receiver. For speakers, I already have a couple of Choral Focus 710's and I just bought a used Choral Focus CC 700 V.

They have a TV; I don't know much about it except that it's probably around 60" and is probably 2-3 years old. They have a cable box and I would like to possibly run digital out from my macbook pro but I would be fine with MBP>Audioquest Dragonfly>1/8"toRCA>receiver (what I'm doing now).

They also have a BluRay Player.

I don't think I'm going to do a 5.1 system but would like to possibly upgrade to 5.1 in the future. I would like HDMI switching. Is it possible to do over the air digital tv through the receiver? I have a budget of about $300. I'm open to buying used. I was thinking of a Marantz 1403.

Could you also recommend a sub? There are neighbors to think about in the summertime but not so much in the off season.

Thanks!
Will

B

Big Jake

Junior Audioholic
Aaaahh... just my two cents here but... you want a networking home theater receiver with wifi and a subwoofer on a budget of $300?

Most likely ain't gonna happen. You'll need more money than that, just sayin... you might find something on ebay.

W

will5023

Audiophyte
Oh, sorry, I meant the budget for just the receiver is $300. And I don't need networking or wifi capabilities I don't think.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Is it possible to do over the air digital tv through the receiver?
When you say "through the receiver", depending on your meaning, I think the answer would be "no".

You would need to connect the antenna to the TV, and then pass the TV's audio output to one of the receivers audio inputs. All TV tuning would need be done through the TV itself and all video would be contained within the TV itself.

Last edited:
RochRx7

RochRx7

Enthusiast
Can you stretch your budget $30? Sure you can. Since your budget is fairly limited.. I'd recommend a refurb from AC4L.. and it comes with a 3year for peace of mind..

accessories4less. com /make-a-store/item/denavrx2100w/denon-avr-x2100w-7.2-receiver-wi-fi/bluetooth/airplay-w/3-yr-warranty/1.html

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis