Need Help Accessing Internet Radio

CDogg

CDogg

Junior Audioholic
I have gotten different answers to this question, so I come to you for the real answer.

If your receiver has an ethernet port and you have it hardwired, do you still need to add the dongle?

I was told if you hardwire your receiver you do not need the dongle. The dongle is only needed if your router is in another room. However, some information I found on the web says you need the dongle to access internet radio.

Thanks in advance for your help!

BTW... Still trying to get the firmware uploaded to the receiver.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
If your AVR is hardwired to a wireless router you do not need the dongle. The dongle is only there to give your AVR wireless internet, kind of like adding a wireless card to a computer. Personally I would stay away from dongles unless absolutely necessary. Hardwiring will give you a faster more stable connections with fewer drops.

CDogg

CDogg

Junior Audioholic
Thanks very much. I was hoping this was the case. No need spending money unless you have to.

Now if I can get the firmware uploaded.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
What does the receiver manual say? Sometimes the jack is not an internet jack, but meant for ethernet based multi-room control devices.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
There are AVR's out there that only offer you the option to attach a sold separately dongle in order to access internet content? :eek:

CDogg

CDogg

Junior Audioholic
Receiver in question is the Onkyo TX-NR509 which has an ethernet port on back of receiver. Internet is definitely working , or I would be unable to write this post. I have a CAT5 cable going from the router to the receiver.

When I select firmware via Net I get "Error 0-13 DNS Error." I called Crutchfield, and they think it could be a bad receiver.

Any suggestions will be greatful.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
From a little bit of research it sounds like you may need to reset the router and the AVR. Unplug both and wait for awhile (15 mins or so) and then plug the router back in and let it boot up. Then plug the AVR back in and let it boot up and go to the network settings to see if it has connected properly. Other people with onkyos have had similar problems and this has worked for them. Part of the problem could be the receiver isn't renewing it's IP address.

Another problem could be that it's connecting to a local network and not the internet. If you know how to check the IP address of your router and it is starting with something like 169.254.xxx.xxx then it is connecting to the local network and not the internet.

Hopefully this helps.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Are you getting an IP address on the receiver? Alternately, can you bring up the router clients and see the receiver listed?

Paging BoredSystemAdmin. Is there a bored system admin in the house?

CDogg

CDogg

Junior Audioholic
To satisfy the masses, I reset router, cable modem, and AV receiver, and I am still getting Error 0-13 DNS Error.

If all fails Crutchfield is prepared to send me an Onkyo TX-NR414 as they are out of the 509s.

CDogg

CDogg

Junior Audioholic
My Network Connection Details:

IPv4 Address 192.168.1.3
IPv4 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
IPv4 Default Gateway 192.168.1.1
IPv4 DHCP Server 192.168.1.1
IPv4 DNS Server 192.168.1.1

CDogg

CDogg

Junior Audioholic
As noted in a previous post, Crutchfield is ready to send another receiver to me if I could not get the firmware downloaded. I thought I would give it one more try before boxing the receiver and calling Crutchfield.

I exchanged the ethernet cable to a known good one that the Suddenlink tech left Sunday troubleshooting our internet, and I reset the receiver. Since my receiver is hardwired to the router I selected Firmware Update via Net. To my amazement I finally got the firmware updated...Woohoo!!!!

Now that is over, let's see if we can get some internet tunes playing... Nothing, no sound, no hiss or static.I connected the FM antenna to see if I could get any station. I was able to get one station off the antenna. Now that I have sound, the next step is to see if I could get internet radio.

First I tried Vtuner... no music, nothing. I selected Pandora since I already have an account. After several frustrating minutes trying to type my email address and password, I finally succeeded in hearing tunes out of my Infinity speakers for the first time. All I can say is WOW!!!!!

If any of the new members are considering Onkyo as their AV receiver, you will not doubt experience this same problem. Just remember this one piece of information... It is best to hardwire your receiver straight to the router than using the dongle. Hardwiring enables you to have the best connection. You only need the dongle if the router and receiver are in different rooms. Also, make sure you use a known good ethernet cable. You can save yourself time and aggravation by purchasing a new one. Finally, through every process of installation always, always, always reset the receiver. Don't ask me why, but it is beneficial to reset every chance you can until you are finished.

Now, if you will excuse me I going to listen to some Jazz and chill out.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Good deal. Sometimes the little things can terribly sour an otherwise good experience. Glad it worked out and note you can move onto the fun stuff :).

CDogg

CDogg

Junior Audioholic
Kudos to Crutchfield. Every rep I spoke to was very friendly and patient with me. The one I spoke to yesterday was on the phone with me for over 2 hours. Anyone who is planning to buy must consider Crutchfield. Fast shipping and great CS is hard to beat.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I have gotten different answers to this question, so I come to you for the real answer.

If your receiver has an ethernet port and you have it hardwired, do you still need to add the dongle?

I was told if you hardwire your receiver you do not need the dongle. The dongle is only needed if your router is in another room. However, some information I found on the web says you need the dongle to access internet radio.

Thanks in advance for your help!

BTW... Still trying to get the firmware uploaded to the receiver.
If you hard-wire it, you can't use the dongle since it only has one port. Your router will assign an IP address and once you get to that point, set the receiver to 'Static', not DHCP. It's not absolutely mandatory, though.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis