Need Guidance buying 5.1 HT Spkrs & Receiver

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
Quite right, I hadn't thought of it as line level.:rolleyes:
So would the aluminum with copper shielding help avoid picking up interference or induced voltage?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Quite right, I hadn't thought of it as line level.:rolleyes:
So would the aluminum with copper shielding help avoid picking up interference or induced voltage?
Any metal shielding will help avoid interference.

Ty Wayne

Ty Wayne

Audioholic
Not to interrupt Clay's thread here, but I just got disappointing news. Rythmik said that the LV12R wont be available by mid Feb as advertised. They are now saying end of Feb. or first part of March! Im so bummed out right now. Makes me want to drop another $500 and get the F15HP. I don't know what to do!?!?:mad:

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Not to interrupt Clay's thread here, but I just got disappointing news. Rythmik said that the LV12R wont be available by mid Feb as advertised. They are now saying end of Feb. or first part of March! Im so bummed out right now. Makes me want to drop another $500 and get the F15HP. I don't know what to do!?!?:mad:
In the other news, hsu vtf2 and vft3 are now on sale

C

Clay Bertrand

Junior Audioholic
Hey Guys,

That sucks TY!!! Are you in Texas?? Were you set on Rythmik due to shipping ease?? I went with HSU and I'm still waiting on the backorder. An extra $500 is my kind of BUDGET INCREASE!!!!!!

How are you doing with your 340 mounting???

Ty Wayne

Ty Wayne

Audioholic
True Admin! Im seriously exploring my options. I just emailed Dina at Ascend and we will see what she says. I don't feel like waiting over another dang month for my sub. Im considering all options right now, and I could go with that MK2 for about an extra $400 probably. Im definitely open for suggestions!!

Clay, yes, Im in Texas. But I went with Rythmik because Ascend sells them, and the LV12R has great reviews, and it was on sale. Seemed like a win win deal. And it would be, I just didn't know I was going to have to wait two freakin months on it! Piss on that.

Clay I didn't mount my 340's. I only mounted my 170 rears on the BT-77 mounts, and they are holding very well. Completely satisfied with the BT-77's.

How is your ordeal coming along? From a previous comment it sounded like you might not get much done this weekend. Hope its going okay. As for me, I've been rockin out basically every day. Even if its listening to the kids teeny bop songs, we still rock. Those Ascends are awesome. Just need a freaking sub!!!

C

Clay Bertrand

Junior Audioholic
TY, 'Piss on that' is RIGHT MAN!!!!!!!!!! 2 months is pushing it. $500 is $500 obviously but in the immortal words of Buck Swope, "Actor"/HiFi Stereo salesman in the film Boogeynights, ".....Ohhh I think ya need all that BASS..."

You can't go wrong with bigger Bass........

C

Clay Bertrand

Junior Audioholic
Sorry for the delay and lengthy post, but for those interested, the following is my report of my experience dealing with Ascend Acoustics and my visit to their place to pick up my five 340s. I took some notes to relay as much as I could to the Thread. No great REVELATIONS…..just my perspective on the company. Maybe it'll help someone decide on something........

Ascend is located in San Clemente, CA and they occupy two fairly large portions of a moderately sized Industrial Building. The owner and speaker designer/builder is David Fabrikant and it’s a true small family business with Dave’s wife Dina handling much of the office related tasks. The front office is very simple and it is clear that the bulk of Ascend’s sales are shipped worldwide and not sold from their location regularly. While their office may not be some polished floor fancy corporate joint, it’s not meant to be a schmoozy reception area. They have a nice dedicated demo room and clearly they concentrate on LOUDSPEAKERS not useless, showy office décor (this is not a knock—AT ALL---Ambiance is NOT what you’re paying for or rockin out to!! ). That said, Dave and Dina were super accommodating even though we showed up on the last day of their sale and they were really slammed getting shipments out.

I had been in phone contact with Dina in advance that day so they had all of my speakers tested and packed ready for me when I finally got there. Dina greeted us when we arrived and they seemed to be pretty busy. After a minute or two, Dave came into the office from the work area. He introduced himself and shook our hands and was intent on returning to the work area in the warehouse part of the building when I said, “I’ve been looking forward to meeting you. I’d like to pick your brain a little bit if I could. I’m not the most educated Audio guy.”

Dave, put what he was doing on hold, walked over to take a seat at his desk and said, “What do you want to know??” My personal impressions are that Dave is a very down to earth type. He’s the kind of no non sense guy who shoots straight on everything and doesn’t beat around the bush. He is all about the “more than one way to skin a cat” philosophy in that he doesn’t pooh-pooh anything or champion anything and he isn’t arrogant about his opinions. His attitude seems almost defiantly in support of the most simple and basic solid way to go about system design and set up --NO FRILLS. He doesn’t believe in the myths and wives’ tales and ghost stories about various voodoo magic wires, connectors, etc. and his line, “You don’t have to get all crazy and carried away with anything. These are VERY, VERY EFFICIENT Loudspeakers” made an impression on me.

The following are David Fabrikant’s nutshell statements on my specific semi-almost-techy questions:

SPEAKER WIRE GAUGE??

I first asked him about speaker wire. He told me that he generally recommends 14AWG and that he doesn’t see much use in increasing to 12 unless you are really doing long runs “approaching 80…100 feet”. I told him I had 16AWG on one speaker and he said, as far as the speakers go, having one with different AWG wouldn’t be that big of a deal if the run wasn’t that long. He said that he couldn’t speak to the affect this could have on the AVR but said it’d be hard to discern the difference. I told him I was needing to likely rewire everything.

He then said, “14 is easier to run than 12…….16 would even be fine if your runs weren’t too long….still good conductivity there but I wouldn’t run anything smaller than 16……too big a drop off…”

CONNECTORS vs RAW WIRE?

Dave prefers Banana Plugs over other connections. He says that he prefers them to raw wire for the solid uniform connection and the tendency for Raw wire to corrode at its contact points (especially in coastal areas). He says, raw wire is totally acceptable too though and to be sure to “TIN” the loose wire ends to keep them from corroding (i.e. solder the ends) especially if they will be mounted somewhere you cannot easily access the connections. Some Audiophiles claim Tinning causes a less than ideal connection due to the TIN intervening in the wiring connection between the actual wiring and the connectors. Dave indicated this was hair splitting at best and that Tinning is no problem.

AVR BRAND RECOMMENDATION??

Dave said, “Any quality receiver will do as long as it’s not the lowest end model if you can help it…..Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon…..” I told him, “I really want the most complete room correction technology because my room is really open……I decided to get a Denon….” Dave intervened, “Ok……What model??? Do you know yet??” I said, “Yeah, I just ordered an X4000.” Dave just says, “GREAT MACHINE……that model is going to do great for you! Really good receiver…..A lot of our customers have been upgrading their receivers with X4000s lately because they’re going for a really good price right now….that price is a steal……In fact, I actually just got this delivered in here….(He pointed to an unopened Denon X2000) it’s just a 2000 but I just needed another capable receiver for around here at the shop….. ”

Dave seemed largely indifferent to the Audyessy or any other room EQ technology in general for that matter. He humbly assured me (Not at ALL tooting his own horn) that the 340s are “….designed for very wide dispersal…..You don’t have to go overboard tilting and pointing them at one spot in the center of the room. With your dimensions…..they cover large rooms very well. I think you’re going to be pleased. Don’t obsess about directional placement.“

HSU RESEARCH COMMENT

I told Dave that I had ordered and was waiting to grab a HSU VTF-15H MK2. He commented, “Hsu makes great products. I know Dr. Hsu well, I’ve known him for years. You can’t go wrong there.”

MOUNTING TIPS

Dave says the most common effective mount used for wall mounting is the B-Tech BT-77 wall mounts (TY WAYNE and I have purchased these).

He says that you can drill holes to mount and when I shuddered at the thought and asked about Blue-Tak, he surprisingly endorsed its use. He said it works and doesn’t ooze out if used sparingly. He said the clamp mounts do a really good job .

DRY-WALL ANCHORS??

Dave was the most emphatic on this topic of ANY we covered. He says “Go into a stud……these things are HEAVY… 26 pounds! One could yank those mounts right out of your drywall. Don’t try it. Don’t even risk it. Find a Stud. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THE USE OF DRYWALL ANCHORS…….. end of story.”

I understand where he is coming from and I myself have been fortunate to have some decent stud placement where I am mounting. But I have seen some pretty gnarly strong drywall anchors and have been assured by drywall guys, and other professional construction guys that these anchors, if installed properly, would hold the weight. Am I using them? No. Do I believe they could work? Yes.

No speaker maker heartily recommends using drywall anchors for mounting and seem to consider them a “USE AT YOUR OWN RISK” proposition. Dave is no different in this regard.

SOOOO, After about 20 minutes of tech Q & A with Dave, we talked about business and internet sales etc. and went ahead and paid for everything.

The speakers were all loaded on a heavy duty cart. I backed my car up to the office door to see about getting the 3 boxes (2 pairs in each box plus the Center in its box) into the trunk. As I am getting ready to pick up one of the boxes for loading, Dave in his still slightly detectable New Jersey accent says, “Whoa!!!! Be really careful!!” I froze half bent down and I looked up and he says, “Those boxes are 60 pounds each!!” and just as he says that, his small wife Dina just grabs the one I’m staring at, walks it outside, and places it snuggly in my trunk like it was full of freakin’ helium!!!!!! I just looked at Dave with this “Wait…..WHAT THEEEE HECK????” look on my face and he nodded as if he knew what I was thinking and said smoothly, “…….Yeah…….. it’s ok…..Let her do it. She knows what she’s doing….Trust me…” I stayed out of Dina's way AND felt like a weenie :oops::oops:......

Overall, just a cool experience with Ascend. Much like the HSU visit, just very interesting to be able to deal with ‘THE GUY’, in Dr. Hsu and Dave Fabrikant respectively, that actually DESIGNED THE PRODUCT I’m buying. Guys who seem to have a passion and intense focus on JUST MAKING THE BEST product THEIR WAY.

What one is getting with Ascend speakers are products made, tested, and built with the owner’s guiding hand and more particularly key, HIS EAR. That the owner is himself adamant about testing and packing orders making sure each speaker meets HIS HIGH STANDARDS is just killer!!!!! To me, it demonstrates a personal dedication to quality control bordering on insane perfectionism that while contrary to modern mass production, goes hand in hand with true craftsmanship. Dave will not sacrifice his hands-on approach for larger production or sales figures. What he cannot personally oversee, he will not put his name on and making the best “LOUDSPEAKERS” possible is truly his rightful calling.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Clay,
Thanks for taking the time to give your account!

My personal impressions are that Dave is a very down to earth type. He’s the kind of no non sense guy who shoots straight on everything and doesn’t beat around the bush. He is all about the “more than one way to skin a cat” philosophy in that he doesn’t pooh-pooh anything or champion anything and he isn’t arrogant about his opinions. His attitude seems almost defiantly in support of the most simple and basic solid way to go about system design and set up --NO FRILLS.
Nice to hear that! There is so much hype in the Audio Industry and often people in his position are tempted to sell $$$ cables with his speakers. Definitely a profitable business model. Most people dropping $500 plus for speakers aren't going to think twice about spending $50 plus on cables (that can be bought elsewhere for $12)!

These are VERY, VERY EFFICIENT Loudspeakers” made an impression on me.
That is definitely a factor for your large room. There are other speakers that compete with the 340's (not better, but equivalent), but with your large room, the 340's are an easy call... reinforced by the fact that Ascend is local for you!

CONNECTORS vs RAW WIRE?
He says, raw wire is totally acceptable too though and to be sure to “TIN” the loose wire ends to keep them from corroding (i.e. solder the ends) especially if they will be mounted somewhere you cannot easily access the connections. Some Audiophiles claim Tinning causes a less than ideal connection due to the TIN intervening in the wiring connection between the actual wiring and the connectors. Dave indicated this was hair splitting at best and that Tinning is no problem.
Tinning is definitely better than bare wire. Bare wire strands are free to shift and loosen contact at the connection. I have had a bare wire connection that was no longer tight and it took a while to figure out what was happening. I assumed my amp was going bad for that channel! Soldier is soft and malleable, allowing much more contact area as you squeeze it in the connection.
I guess the Audiophiles that Poo-Poo tinning are the ones that would never take the cover off their components to see all of the soldiered connections inside. Surprised someone is not selling a $10,000 solderless amp somewhere! (lots of wire-nuts:rolleyes:).

AVR BRAND RECOMMENDATION??

Dave said, “Any quality receiver will do as long as it’s not the lowest end model if you can help it…..Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon…..” I told him, “I really want the most complete room correction technology because my room is really open……I decided to get a Denon….” Dave intervened, “Ok……What model??? Do you know yet??” I said, “Yeah, I just ordered an X4000.” Dave just says, “GREAT MACHINE……that model is going to do great for you! Really good receiver…..A lot of our customers have been upgrading their receivers with X4000s lately because they’re going for a really good price right now….that price is a steal……In fact, I actually just got this delivered in here….(He pointed to an unopened Denon X2000) it’s just a 2000 but I just needed another capable receiver for around here at the shop….. ”

Dave seemed largely indifferent to the Audyessy or any other room EQ technology in general for that matter. He humbly assured me (Not at ALL tooting his own horn) that the 340s are “….designed for very wide dispersal…..You don’t have to go overboard tilting and pointing them at one spot in the center of the room. With your dimensions…..they cover large rooms very well. I think you’re going to be pleased. Don’t obsess about directional placement.“
I generally agree with him. I have heard Audyssey make a significant difference in one of 5 room/setups I have used it on in the upper (speaker) range. Bass management is, IMHO, the best justification for plain vanilla Audyssey MultEQ. It sounds like you have limited placement options for your sub and I see Audyssey as a hedge against that being poor placement (though it is far from a cure - it just makes the best of a bad situation). It is the introduction of likelihood of a second sub that drove your budget to the X4000.
(I'm not defensive about this, but I know some people are reading this without remembering where we have been in this thread)

HSU RESEARCH COMMENT

I told Dave that I had ordered and was waiting to grab a HSU VTF-15H MK2. He commented, “Hsu makes great products. I know Dr. Hsu well, I’ve known him for years. You can’t go wrong there.”
Nice to hear they are respectful of each other.

MOUNTING TIPS

Dave says the most common effective mount used for wall mounting is the B-Tech BT-77 wall mounts (TY WAYNE and I have purchased these).

He says that you can drill holes to mount and when I shuddered at the thought and asked about Blue-Tak, he surprisingly endorsed its use. He said it works and doesn’t ooze out if used sparingly. He said the clamp mounts do a really good job .
I'm surprised about Blue-Tak, but definitely go with his experience. Still, if you already have the sheet stuff from Lee Valley, you might want to evaluate it. Blue-Tak can leave an oily spot where it was, may or may not clean off, but I think it is unreasonable not to expect some type of marring after years under pressure, whatever you use.
Nice to know he is comfortable with the clamp mounts!

DRY-WALL ANCHORS??

Dave was the most emphatic on this topic of ANY we covered. He says “Go into a stud……these things are HEAVY… 26 pounds! One could yank those mounts right out of your drywall. Don’t try it. Don’t even risk it. Find a Stud. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THE USE OF DRYWALL ANCHORS…….. end of story.”

I understand where he is coming from and I myself have been fortunate to have some decent stud placement where I am mounting. But I have seen some pretty gnarly strong drywall anchors and have been assured by drywall guys, and other professional construction guys that these anchors, if installed properly, would hold the weight. Am I using them? No. Do I believe they could work? Yes.

No speaker maker heartily recommends using drywall anchors for mounting and seem to consider them a “USE AT YOUR OWN RISK” proposition. Dave is no different in this regard.
I think you are dead-on with your interpretation of the situation. Dry Wall is not flimsy as long as you spread the load so it doesn't chip out. Wedge anchors concentrate the load and fail under real load. But if you have studs where you need them, that is definitely more straightforward. Toggle anchors that spread the load can handle some weight. But why would Ascend "endorse" dry-wall mounts without being able to control the details.

As I am getting ready to pick up one of the boxes for loading, Dave in his still slightly detectable New Jersey accent says, “Whoa!!!! Be really careful!!” I froze half bent down and I looked up and he says, “Those boxes are 60 pounds each!!” and just as he says that, his small wife Dina just grabs the one I’m staring at, walks it outside, and places it snuggly in my trunk like it was full of freakin’ helium!!!!!! I just looked at Dave with this “Wait…..WHAT THEEEE HECK????” look on my face and he nodded as if he knew what I was thinking and said smoothly, “…….Yeah…….. it’s ok…..Let her do it. She knows what she’s doing….Trust me…” I stayed out of Dina's way AND felt like a weenie :oops::oops:......
Smart business choice. If a customer hurt their back on his property, they could sue him.

"Who's property" is a poor way to place fault, but that is how our legal system works. A person could stress their back all day lifting bags of concrete then throw their back out lifting speakers and Ascend could be legally at risk!

Overall, just a cool experience with Ascend. Much like the HSU visit, just very interesting to be able to deal with ‘THE GUY’, in Dr. Hsu and Dave Fabrikant respectively, that actually DESIGNED THE PRODUCT I’m buying. Guys who seem to have a passion and intense focus on JUST MAKING THE BEST product THEIR WAY.

That is much of the beauty of internet direct businesses. Whether it is email or phone or in-person, the connection between "THE GUY" and the customer is direct. Even if David or Hsu was gone when you visited, it would be clear you are talking with people who work closely with them every day.

What one is getting with Ascend speakers are products made, tested, and built with the owner’s guiding hand and more particularly key, HIS EAR. That the owner is himself adamant about testing and packing orders making sure each speaker meets HIS HIGH STANDARDS is just killer!!!!! To me, it demonstrates a personal dedication to quality control bordering on insane perfectionism that while contrary to modern mass production, goes hand in hand with true craftsmanship. Dave will not sacrifice his hands-on approach for larger production or sales figures. What he cannot personally oversee, he will not put his name on and making the best “LOUDSPEAKERS” possible is truly his rightful calling.
And how much better do you feel about your gear having met THE GUYS?
Really glad you decided to take the drive!

Last edited:
V

varunet

Enthusiast
thank you clay.. for making this thread.. it was very informative with your questions and responses from everyone..!!

do you mind puttin a final list of systems with costs per system..and your experience with the system..? pictures would be great too..!!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis