need centerchannel recommendation

J

jlyttle

Audioholic Intern
Hi there, I am designing my system and have tentative choices for my speakers, but have a problem with the center.

Current speaker lineup is:

Axiom M3Ti's for the fronts
Polk RC60i's for the rear surrounds (must be in wall)
Hsu VTF2 Mk.3 for the subwoofer
Polk Csi3 for the center.

The problem is that the center speaker, at 20"x7"x9.5" is too big for the space.
I would also like the Axiom VP100, but it is also too big.

Based on my setup, any recommendations on a good match for a center? Budget is for about $200-$250 for this speaker, and I do love the white or off-white color options from Axion. I need it to be no more than 6" high.

One note: I am not limited by size and would choose the Axiom center if I placed it above the TV. But, the center of the screen is 6' above the floor and the center speaker, if placed above it, would be about 8.5' above floor hight. Would this seriously affect how it sounded? If not then my problem is solved. We may place the sofa anywhere between 10-18' back from the screen.

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
jlyttle said:
Hi there, I am designing my system and have tentative choices for my speakers, but have a problem with the center.

Current speaker lineup is:

Axiom M3Ti's for the fronts
Polk RC60i's for the rear surrounds (must be in wall)
Hsu VTF2 Mk.3 for the subwoofer
Polk Csi3 for the center.

The problem is that the center speaker, at 20"x7"x9.5" is too big for the space.
I would also like the Axiom VP100, but it is also too big.

Based on my setup, any recommendations on a good match for a center? Budget is for about $200-$250 for this speaker, and I do love the white or off-white color options from Axion. I need it to be no more than 6" high.

One note: I am not limited by size and would choose the Axiom center if I placed it above the TV. But, the center of the screen is 6' above the floor and the center speaker, if placed above it, would be about 8.5' above floor hight. Would this seriously affect how it sounded? If not then my problem is solved. We may place the sofa anywhere between 10-18' back from the screen.
Can you angle the speaker downwards at all toward the "sweet-spot"? That is a bit high but if angled correctly it may just work. How far are you from your tv? Also, how big is your room? Finally, how much power are you sending to the center speaker?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Having the center channel speaker so high off the ground would be a problem for people sitting close to the TV (as the sound would seem to go over their head rather than appear to be coming from the mouths of the actors on the screen).

With the sofa almost 18' back from the screen, it won't be as big a problem. In either case, you can always angle the speaker downwards slightly toward the listeners. If possible, you could also place it below the screen and angle it slightly upwards.

The 'ideal' placement is often tough to achieve in a living room that wasn't purposefully designed for audio, but you make your compromises and do the best you can.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
oops! Missed that one.........LOL!!!!!:D :D Guess it is gettin late and I am a bit tired.

J

jlyttle

Audioholic Intern
The room is 20'x20'. I can't put it beneath the TV (Panasonic TH-50PX60U) and the TV it in a built-in alcove above a fireplace. I either need to find a smaller one that will fit in front of the TV, or place it above on top of the built-in. As you say, not ideal but maybe my best option. I do like the Axion model, the color would blend very nicely with the woodwork that it will be sitting on. The built-in has molding running around it's edge, maybe 2.5 inches high that may block the speaker a bit, but if I can get something under the speaker that will raise it up and angle it down a bit then I may be OK.

How do you think my selection of speakers will work together, am I making any big mistakes?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
jlyttle, it is best to use the same brand of speakers for optimal performance. However, this is NOT necessarily true for sub-woofers-at least more often than not it isn't. Really dont have an answer for you regarding speaker choice as it is so subjective. I would at least try to use the same brand of speakers for my front-stage and match the rears as best as I could. Of the brands you listed above, I prefer the sound of Axioms. But, that is me and not you. What sounds better to me may sound like crap to you. This is a good thing because if it wasn't we would all own the same brand. Just think how bad that would actually be.:D :D If the Axiom VP100 is too big then maybe you should consider running a "Phantom" (no center) center. Good luck in your decision.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis