Need AVR recommendations...

O

omgwtflol

Audiophyte
Hello all,
I am currently shopping for a decent mid-range a/v receiver with a budget of $350-550. The AVR will be compliment paradigm monitor 7 series setup. After researching on various sites, forums etc., I have narrowed down three choices BUT these are not set in stone and I am looking for recommendations from the gurus on the forum.

The three choices (not set in stone):
1. Denon AVR-1912
2. Onkyo TX-NR609
3. Pioneer VSX-1021-K

I like the features on Denon (airplay, upscaling etc.) and most reviews tend to prefer Denon's sound quality over Pioneer's. Having said that, I am still shopping and would like to get some concrete recommendations.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
OWL :)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Hello all,
I am currently shopping for a decent mid-range a/v receiver with a budget of $350-550. The AVR will be compliment paradigm monitor 7 series setup. After researching on various sites, forums etc., I have narrowed down three choices BUT these are not set in stone and I am looking for recommendations from the gurus on the forum.

The three choices (not set in stone):
1. Denon AVR-1912
2. Onkyo TX-NR609
3. Pioneer VSX-1021-K

I like the features on Denon (airplay, upscaling etc.) and most reviews tend to prefer Denon's sound quality over Pioneer's. Having said that, I am still shopping and would like to get some concrete recommendations.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
OWL :)
Doesn't look like you need any help. You seem to have a good collection to choose from. Job well done. You can't go wrong with any of the 3.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Of those three I'd go with the Denon for the Audyssey MultiEQ.

O

omgwtflol

Audiophyte
Doesn't look like you need any help. You seem to have a good collection to choose from. Job well done. You can't go wrong with any of the 3.
Thank you lsiberian. I just want to be sure that I wasn't ignoring and/or missed considering any other systems i.e. Yamaha etc. Once again thank you :)

Of those three I'd go with the Denon for the Audyssey MultiEQ.
That's what I am leaning towards. Thank you sholling :)

Any other suggestions/recommendations are more than welcome ;)
OWL

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
If you live in the US and don't mind factory recertified a $500 Onkyo TX-NR708 is a bit of step up. A bit more power and preouts should you ever decide to buy an amp. The only thing is they run warm so you need to place them in a well ventilated spot.

Last edited:
LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
Denon is my pick from the 3 you have have listed......Onkyo AVR are not as well built as they use to be. I know:mad: I had a new TX-SR805 HD AVR that failed 3 times. Front end display(still in warranty) and then HDMI issues that fried parts. Poor customer service.I know I had the pleasure of dealing with them while that $1,000.00 brick sets in the closet. I know any brand can and will have problems sooner or later. But Onkyo moved the factory... save your self a lot of grief. And pass on a Onkyo, you might get a good one that might last with no issues before the wattanty expires. But if you do go Onkyo Do Purchase from a Onkyo Retailer that you can purchase a extended Service Policy. If and when it fails and it can't be repaired you will have store credit to pick out a different AVR. Do some reasearch on any model AVR you purchase. Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer are my favorites in the enrty level HD AVR.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
My three Onkyos (2 bought refurbished) work just fine. Everybody produces a lemon now and then. One bad unit or batch does not make for a bad brand as proven by millions of happy customers. What does suck at Onkyo is their customer service - clueless. Fortunately my three just run and run.

O

omgwtflol

Audiophyte
@ sholling -- Thank you for the Onkyo TX NR708 recommendation. I have heard that Onkyos tend to run a wee bit warmer compared to others and that is one of the contributing factor for choosing an alternative. I also agree that LAB3 may have been unlucky and gotten a piece that had willi wonka plastered all over it! :)

@ AcuDefTechGuy -- Thanks for the Denon 3310 link, but I am looking to buy a new piece. I am sort of skeptical when 'electronics' and 'used' are (used) in the same sentence :p

@ LAB3 -- :eek: Sorry to hear about the Onkyo fiasco. Like I said before, you just got unlucky. Thank you for the Denon pick/suggestion :D

So far the consensus seems to lean towards Denon. Me likey :cool:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis