Need Amp Help & Suggestions

Gaigebacca

Gaigebacca

Audioholic
I am new to amps and the such. I am trying to help my father-in-law reconfigure a setup at his house for distributed audio. He had an old yamaha AVR and Parasound 2125 amp set up previous, the yamaha send sound to a small splitter that distributed all the audio to inside the house, and the parasound amp pushed audio to some outdoor speakers. Now, the issue comes in, that he wanted an easy way to push Pandora all over the house, so I picked him up a Yamaha RX-V477 receiver that is network connected and has Pandora built in. It is working great for the distributed audio throughout the home, but it will not put out audio through the RCA outs to the separate amp for the outdoor speakers. Apparently it will not send digital sources out of the RCA outputs. I know this is very common now, but how can I get the signal to the AMP now? Pretty much all of the sources he wants to play are digital now... If there is no way to make it work with this amp, does anyone have a recommendation for a different one that may make it work?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Sorry, but it doesn’t appear that you’ll be able to accomplish your goals with this particular receiver. You’ll need something with Zone 2 outputs, that also converts digital inputs to be sent to that output, if that makes sense.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Gaigebacca

Gaigebacca

Audioholic
I don't see how a zone 2 would be of any help or use, as the output for that is still just another set of standard speaker wire interconnects. Is there nothing that can take straight speaker-wire output and amplify it?

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Is there nothing that can take straight speaker-wire output and amplify it?
Do you mean taking an output that should go to a speaker, and amplifying it? If that's what you want, I don't think so. The input to any amplifier is intended to be low level. If you took a "speaker wire" and ran it to the input of an amp, instead of to a speaker, you would blow the amp, or at least initiate a protection protocol and shut down.

"Pre-Outs", (like Zone 2), are Pre Amplifier signals. They are designed to go to a separate amp. They are not nearly strong enough to run directly to a speaker. If the speaker outputs of your AVR are not enough, you need either more speaker outputs or pre-outs to a separate amp.

Last edited:
crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
An AVR like the denon x4000, 3000 or 3100 will convert digital signals to zone two pre outs. Most people run analog and digital audio signals in non capable AVRs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis