Need advice - LCR Speakers, Sub and Receiver

V

varunet

Enthusiast
First of all, I would like to thank this forum for its resource. It has been a great source of information. I have been reading into it for couple of months. I have learned a lot and have been overwhelmed a lot more with the information. But, I guess that’s what happens when you don’t know about a subject and think Bose speakers are nothing but the best speakers.

I am planning to purchase a Home Theater system in the following phases (as I have learnt from other threads, it is better to break it down). I am a complete newbie and don’t even know anyone owning a HT setup with AV Receiver, Amplifiers.. etc.

Phase 1
LCR speakers
1 Subwoofer
AV Receiver

Phase 2 (probably in November/December)
Acoustic Wall Panels
Projector
Screen

Phase 3 (whenever I can afford it, it’s a wish list)
Rear Speakers & Side Speakers (would have bumped this up, if I had the wiring in place)
Atmos Speakers (if possible)
Amplifier (if required)
additional subwoofer (if required)

Usage:
Nearly 90% of use will be for TV & Movies and remaining is for gaming and music.

Room Size:
The HT setup will be in a town house - living room with dimensions as 19L x 16W x 10H. One side of the room is partially open to a stairs and passage going to kitchen. Viewing distance is approximately 14 feet/4 meters. There is a fireplace on the side of the TV which takes up nearly 3 feet. The room is not wired for Home Theater. :(

That's a 60" inch Samsung TV.. o_O it looking small..!

I will be just focusing on LCR speakers, sub and a receiver for $2,200 approximately.

LCR Speakers
I am more interested in tower speakers than bookshelf and would like the same brand for center (if available), for aesthetics.
  1. Infinity R253 L/R + RC252 Center - $1,050
  2. RBH R55Ti L/R + R56Ci Center - $1,090
  3. Klipsch R-26F L/R + RP-250C Center - $1,150
  4. Klipsch RF-82 II L/R + RP-250C Center - $1,248

Subwoofer
Just based on reference from other threads. No clue on how much watts would help me.
  1. HSU VTF-2 MK4 - $529
  2. SVS SB-1000 - $499
  3. Klipsch R-110SW - $549

AV Receiver
Must have.. min 6 inputs, 4k upscale, 7 channels.. just future proof. Not sure if I need separate Amplifier or Atmos, but would like the flexibility to add them in future. Audyssey XT32 (or equivalent) is probably a must have, as I don’t think I am capable enough to calibrate the speakers myself.
  1. Denon X4000 - $600
  2. Denon x4100 - $800

I would appreciate your suggestions/recommendation for each section and/or on the whole. Please also recommend any other equipments that would fit my needs.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Since you say you want future proof, go with the Denon X4100- it has HDMI 2.0, that will help deal with 4k UHD resolutions. It does not have HDCP 2.2 though, and that will be needed to play back 4k discs, but it should do good with other 4k sources. However, I think by the time 4k discs become available, downloading and streaming will be the main way to view movies, so it may not be a major market and may be worth disregarding.

For the LCR, the Infinity, RBH, and Klipsch RF speakers would be good, but I would skip the Klipsch R-26F, it will not be as good as the RF. For the subwoofers, the Hsu sub is easily the best from that bunch, go with the VTF2 mk4.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
You mentioned Atmos. I believe you would have to step up to a much more expensive receiver to have that capability. However, I am not much of an HT guy, so hopefully someone else will confirm or correct me on that.

I agree with Shady J. The Hsu is easily the best of those three.

If you are close to Atlanta, I'll sell you a pair of Klipsch SW-310 subs for the same $550. If out of the area, you'd have to pay shipping.
They are pretty much the same as this sub with out A.R.C. (which you wouldn't need anyway since you'll have Audyssey XT 32) and a slightly smaller amp:
http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/sw-311-subwoofer-review

I'm not sure if two of these would beat the Hsu for shear output, probably not. But they would be a decent option (and one of few Klipsch subs worth using).

The main reason I am posting is to warn you that the availability of the Klipsch 82 ii's is getting lean. The only one I see still available is the RF-82 ii in Cherry and there are only 13 left!
http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Cherry-Reference-Floorstanding-Speaker/dp/B00414N2OC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1439170619&sr=8-3&keywords=klipsch+rf

The good news is that they have dropped the price down to $350 each.
Also, you can get a Cherry RC-62 from Amazon or Crutchfield for another $350.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_714RC62IIC/Klipsch-Reference-RC-62-II-Cherry.html

Totals $1050, so you'd be getting a better center at total of $200 less than what you quoted above.
With the price dropped to $350 for an RF 82 ii, I fear these may be gone before you order them!

Edit: It does look like there is more inventory of the 82's, but at $400 each.

Last edited:
V

varunet

Enthusiast
Since you say you want future proof, go with the Denon X4100- it has HDMI 2.0, that will help deal with 4k UHD resolutions.
So this means.. in case cable/set top box is upgraded to 4k in the future, I would be able to get that?
I thought X4000 has 4K upscaling, so it would have the required HDMI versions..!

Thank you, ShadyJ

V

varunet

Enthusiast
You mentioned Atmos. I believe you would have to step up to a much more expensive receiver to have that capability.
Atmos is nice to have, as far as I have read about it on this forum. Doesn't seem like a big deal to have it.

maybe after a while, after I have the aholic bug.. i will replace with a better receiver.

I am on East cost.. norther virginia.. :(

Omg..when i was listing it down, they had black option available. Seems like it is gone. Even R55Ti black option is out of stock. I would prefer black or any dark wood.

that brings me up to another questions.
is amazon, crutchfield and direct brand stores the only way to purchase? I was searching around my place and only magnolia best buy shows up.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Atmos is nice to have, as far as I have read about it on this forum. Doesn't seem like a big deal to have it.

maybe after a while, after I have the aholic bug.. i will replace with a better receiver.

I am on East cost.. norther virginia.. :(

Omg..when i was listing it down, they had black option available. Seems like it is gone. Even R55Ti black option is out of stock. I would prefer black or any dark wood.

that brings me up to another questions.
is amazon, crutchfield and direct brand stores the only way to purchase? I was searching around my place and only magnolia best buy shows up.
I don't know about the others, but Klipsch discontinued the RF series. What we have been seeing recently is closeout pricing. The last discounted RF-62ii soldout about three weeks ago. I got some of the last black RF-82 ii's about a week ago. If you were looking for black, that ship has sailed (unless you can find it in local stores)

V

varunet

Enthusiast
Great, whats your take on Klipsch RF-82 vs RBH R55Ti ? the number of drivers are more in r55ti does that make a difference in quality or quantity (loud)?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
So this means.. in case cable/set top box is upgraded to 4k in the future, I would be able to get that?
I thought X4000 has 4K upscaling, so it would have the required HDMI versions..!

Thank you, ShadyJ
4k upscaling and 4k pass through is not the same thing as processing a 4k signal. You will be much less likely to run into problems with a receiver that can process 4k ie HDMI 2.0. The AVR-X4000 is not a receiver I would get if I were looking to sink my teeth into 4k, it will not have near the flexibility of the X4100.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Great, whats your take on Klipsch RF-82 vs RBH R55Ti ? the number of drivers are more in r55ti does that make a difference in quality or quantity (loud)?
I just noticed the word loud! If you want loud, the Klipsch definitely has the advantage! It is very efficient and has high power handling capability.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
This shootout we did back in 2010 may answer some of your questions on comparing the RBH's vs the Klipsch speakers:
http://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/2010-1k-faceoff

With the blind screen on, the Klipsch were preferred but I later found the screen was too lossy b/c it wasn't pulled tightly enough. With the screen removed, most listeners found the Klipsch a bit too bright.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
This shootout we did back in 2010 may answer some of your questions on comparing the RBH's vs the Klipsch speakers:
http://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/2010-1k-faceoff

With the blind screen on, the Klipsch were preferred but I later found the screen was too lossy b/c it wasn't pulled tightly enough. With the screen removed, most listeners found the Klipsch a bit too bright.
That was an older generation Klipsch model. Based on review dates, the new model came out early to mid 2011. The crossover and horn were redesigned.

Last edited:
V

varunet

Enthusiast
4k upscaling and 4k pass through is not the same thing as processing a 4k signal. You will be much less likely to run into problems with a receiver that can process 4k ie HDMI 2.0.
Thank you, ShadyJ. This is helpful. I have a 60 inch tv which is not 4k, and I assume it would be around for another 3-4 yrs. I am planning to get a projector in the near future and 4k projectors are either not available or expensive. So either I pay $200 extra for 4k right now .. or wait for 4yrs and get a new receiver (by this time I believe 4k, atmos and a number of new features will be standardized). Let me think about it.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Wait and get 4 years later. If you like keeping up with the latest features, receivers are usually nearing the end of their life cycle by when you would upgrade (not actual life cycle). Plus by then the surround format wars will probably have settled and there might actually be a decent amount of content.

V

varunet

Enthusiast
Plus by then the surround format wars will probably have settled and there might actually be a decent amount of content.
That is making sense to me. Thank you, Fuzz

then denon X4000 it is .. until someone suggests a different receiver with the setup.

V

varunet

Enthusiast
Thank you, gene and kew for your comments. I am still going through every bit I understand to figure out which one works for me. Will measure the speakers height to my sitting position as well.

The faceoff link was great, I was looking for more recent ones.. seems like the last faceoff was in 2010/2011. It does seems like a lot of work, but the data captured is really good.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis