Need advice for Sub/Receiver

K

kragnorok

Junior Audioholic
Hey just got my new HSU STF-2 in the mail yesterday. So far am super impressed with the sub, didnt realize it was going to be as big as it was, but oh well :). Anyways quick question, I have a Yamaha 5830 Receiver and I cant seem to find the crossover setting for the sub in the settings menu. I just need to know if anyone else has a 5830 and if they know if there is a crossover setting in there, if for some reason I just cant find it. Also if there isnt, should I just use the crossover on the back of the sub? And curious what to run it at, as of tomorrow I will have a Athena C1.2 and 4 BS 1.2's as my speaker setup so Im thinking 80-90 for the crossover. Any suggestions ?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
If it doesn't have a xover setting in the setup menus but it does have a subwoofer pre-out then it probably has a fixed xover that you can't change. I know older model Yamahas had a fixed xover of 90 Hz and that may be the case here.

K

kragnorok

Junior Audioholic
Ok, so if thats the case is 90 a good crossover for the athenas and the sub im using or should i use the subs xover and go to 80

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
you have the bs-1.2, right?

90 hz should do fine. Given the choice, I probably wouldn't go much lower than 70 or 80 with them anyway.

You have a fine, cost effective system there, bud.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The sub's x-over will only work for the main pair, so I would use the receiver's x-over. You probably won't be able to tell the difference between 90Hz and 80Hz anyway. Set the speakers to small and set the sub's x-over to bypass.

K

kragnorok

Junior Audioholic
Cool appreciate all the advice and help yet again, and thanks for the compliment Mark, I'm just getting into the Audio game, and until I move out, I will be using these, when I pay off my loan and move out, it will be a different story lol.

Thanks guys

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis