Need Advice for Living Room

P

pote8218

Audioholic Intern
My budget is going to be around 5000. My wife wants everything to look good. I was planning on doing a 2.2 setup.

The open area is large ~11,000- ~12,000 cu. Currently have infinity p363 towers (have the matching center channel, 2 bookshelves not being used and stores) and a hsu vtf-2, Denon 2100.

60% Movies/TV
30% Music
10% Friends.... my wife always has it on.

What I am considering.
AVR Denon 3300X $599
2 Vtf 15Hs in the rosenut. $2375

Speakers: I need some recommendations that would match. She doesn't like the yellow cone on the ccb 8s. I am not sure how visible it is with the grill on. I am open to the idea of bookshelf or towers, left over is around $2000.

Any changes to what I am considering is welcomed as well.

Thanks in advanced

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
That is a large area, you will want some good speakers. Especially stepping up from the p363 which were budget champs. You have the right idea about getting some powerful subwoofers for a space like that. You might think about the SVS Ultra towers in that room, or perhaps the Aperion Verus Grand towers.

The CCB-8 grilles do not conceal the woofers but they do mute their bright color. You could always stitch some acoustically transparent fabric on the grilles if you wanted to hide the cone!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My budget is going to be around 5000. My wife wants everything to look good. I was planning on doing a 2.2 setup.

The open area is large ~11,000- ~12,000 cu. Currently have infinity p363 towers (have the matching center channel, 2 bookshelves not being used and stores) and a hsu vtf-2, Denon 2100.

60% Movies/TV
30% Music
10% Friends.... my wife always has it on.

What I am considering.
AVR Denon 3300X $599
2 Vtf 15Hs in the rosenut. $2375

Speakers: I need some recommendations that would match. She doesn't like the yellow cone on the ccb 8s. I am not sure how visible it is with the grill on. I am open to the idea of bookshelf or towers, left over is around $2000.

Any changes to what I am considering is welcomed as well.

Thanks in advanced
Has anyone asked HSU if they could offer a black or silver cone or a totally black fabric grille that would do a better job covering up the yellow cones?

I don't know what they were thinking or smoking when they made those speakers. :D

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Has anyone asked HSU if they could offer a black or silver cone or a totally black fabric grille that would do a better job covering up the yellow cones?

I don't know what the heck HSU was thinking or smoking when they made those speakers. :D
Agreed. I like the speaker, but I am sure they have lost many sales because of that color scheme.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, I'll throw another idea out there.

You could probably get a pair of the RBH SVT towers (831/1212) for about $5200. But you would have to spend another $300-500 on an external amp if you don't already have a spare external amp.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sa1000-subwoofer-amplifier-rack-mountable--300-811

https://www.amazon.com/Crown-XLi800-Two-channel-Power-Amplifier/dp/B00AR0A3V4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1502989928&sr=8-3&keywords=crown+amplifier

In my living room (23'x22'x13', open to kitchen, foyer, formal dining), I have the Denon X3100, a pair of RBH SVT towers, and one RBH SA-500DSP amp. I could have used my $200 Dayton subwoofer amp that I already own, but I wanted to try out the RBH amp.

If you don't know anything about the SVT towers, each tower consists of one huge 100-pound monitor (SV-831) atop a huge 100-pound SV-1212 subwoofer. So although they are essentially 2 big monitors + a big subwoofers, they look and function like 2 giant 200-pound towers.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
P

pote8218

Audioholic Intern
Is there a preference for either the SVS ultra towers vs the Ascend Sierra Towers both are equally priced?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Is there a preference for either the SVS ultra towers vs the Ascend Sierra Towers both are equally priced?
Personal preference. And do you like ribbon tweets?

Basically, flip a coin.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, that would depend on your tweeter/finish choice on the Sierra towers....personally I've got experience with other Ascend speakers and would be more willing to try those first (and would go for the Raal tweeters, too), but that's me. However, I'd probably do a face off, especially as it's no risk with the SVS deal and only shipping on the Ascends....cheaper than driving to a store for me.

P

pote8218

Audioholic Intern
Also will I need an external amp, or will the SVS ultras, sierra towers and any other speaker in that price range be fine with the avr powering them?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
For a large room, I would swing toward the Ultra towers between those two. The two midrange drivers should being in more headroom where it is needed. Also, the placement of the bass drivers should make for a smoother low-frequency response because there will be no floor bounce effect.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Also will I need an external amp, or will the SVS ultras, sierra towers and any other speaker in that price range be fine with the avr powering them?
That mostly depends on your seat distance from the speakers and the spl you're aiming at. Have you tried an spl calculator to assist in estimating your needs?

P

pote8218

Audioholic Intern
I plan on testing the SVS ultras, Aperion Grand towers, the Ascend Sierra towers. What's the best way to try them out in house? I am assuming I pay for them and they ship them to me and I ship them back if I do not like them.. Wife may get upset with 6000+ all a once for the speakers to try.

Also is there any other companies that have a a good return policy or trial period that I do not have on my list. I appreciate all the replies.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Do you have any extra amplifiers? You can do an A/B comparison between these speakers, and having some extra amps can make that pretty easy.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I love my SVS Ultra speakers. And they sure are purty.

45441-1160x653.jpeg
45438-512x288.jpeg

They have legit bass down to 25hz in my room. I'm using subs because I have bassaholic issues and a voice that won't stop in my head :p, but I've measured the towers by themselves and they're flat to almost 24hz in my room. The tweeters sound very detailed and aren't harsh or fatiguing. I can ilsten to them all day. Build quality and fit'n'finish are high quality. The cabinets are also very inert and easily pass the knuckle test. I've seen inside them and they have good, solid bracing to help achieve this.

I like HD's suggestion of doing a shootout, but part of me doesn't want you to... o_O

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Go big or go home. Just in case DIY is an option. Probably not, by way of the dialog in this thread, but for that size room these just popped into my head.
"Elusive 1099", named for the 10" woofers and the 99db sensitivity.

upload_2017-8-31_5-0-53.png

A kit pair of these is around $800. The woofers are now black, instead of the blue in the photo. The average AVR should drive these to insanely loud levels.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Go big or go home. Just in case DIY is an option. Probably not, by way of the dialog in this thread, but for that size room these just popped into my head.
"Elusive 1099", named for the 10" woofers and the 99db sensitivity.

View attachment 22095

A kit pair of these is around $800. The woofers are now black, instead of the blue in the photo. The average AVR should drive these to insanely loud levels.
I have heard the 1099s on a couple of occasions, they are terrific speakers. Yes, they can get insanely loud, in fact we drove them way beyond reference, and it was so loud I became worried about my hearing and left the room. But they did not lose their composure, even at extreme loudness levels.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I have heard the 1099s on a couple of occasions, they are terrific speakers. Yes, they can get insanely loud, in fact we drove them way beyond reference, and it was so loud I became worried about my hearing and left the room. But they did not lose their composure, even at extreme loudness levels.
I think all of their speakers are pretty intense. Same with the Fusion-12s. You'll quit way before they do and distortion is not even on the radar with as loud as I have been able to stand them, briefly. My AVR is rated to 120w and the speakers are rated to 500w as are the 1099's. Being that both are close in sensitivity, I can't imagine using a portion of that other than an auditorium or stadium.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis