Need Advice - Aperion, Emotiva, Def Tech?

B

Bghead8che

Audioholic Intern
I just bought a pair of Definitive Tech 8080STs and overall I think I can do better. I don't feel the bass is well integrated at times and there is zero front sound stage which I think is due to the bipolar design. Lastly, they are simply too fatiguing for me.

I am considering trying either the Aperion Grand Towers and matching center or Emotiva 8.3 with the 6.3 center. These are a bit lower than my budget which is great, however I could spend more if needed. :D

Has anyone compared any of these? Are the Aperions bright? I've heard the Emotiva speakers are slightly laid back which may be my cup of tea.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Brian

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The BP-8080ST’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +3.12/–2.11 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz.

The standard of accuracy is +/- 3.0 dB.

The B&W 803D's listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +1.90/–3.68 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz.

The KEF Q900’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +2.25/–0.65 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz.

The Monitor Audio Silver RX8’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +1.27/–3.99 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz.

The B&W CM9’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +0.83/–5.12 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz.

The Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grand listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +2.84/–6.48 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz.

The PSB Image T6’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +1.88/–1.74 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz.

The PSB Imagine T’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +1.46/–2.88 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz.

The Sonus Faber Toy Tower’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +0.99/–3.79 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz.

The PSB Synchrony One's listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +1.18/–2.24 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz.

The B&W XT4's listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +2.42/–3.90 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz.

So I would stay the heck away from B&W and all speakers that have > +/- 3.0dB tolerance Frequency Response.

The KEF Q900 and the PSB speakers seem pretty good.

The DefTech 8080 isn't as bad as the B&Ws, Sonus Faber, Vienna Acoustics. How is your placement and how are you connecting the 8080ST to your AVR?

Last edited by a moderator:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
The BP-8080ST’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +3.12/–2.11 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz.

The standard of accuracy is +/- 3.0 dB.

The B&W 803D's listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +1.90/–3.68 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz.

The KEF Q900’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +2.25/–0.65 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz.

The Monitor Audio Silver RX8’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +1.27/–3.99 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz.

The B&W CM9’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +0.83/–5.12 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz.

The Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grand listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +2.84/–6.48 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz.

The PSB Image T6’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +1.88/–1.74 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz.

The PSB Imagine T’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +1.46/–2.88 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz.

The Sonus Faber Toy Tower’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +0.99/–3.79 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz.

The PSB Synchrony One's listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +1.18/–2.24 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz.

The B&W XT4's listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +2.42/–3.90 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz.

So I would stay the heck away from B&W and all speakers that have > +/- 3.0dB tolerance Frequency Response.

The KEF Q900 and the PSB speakers seem pretty good.

The DefTech 8080 isn't as bad as the B&Ws, Sonus Faber, Vienna Acoustics. How is your placement and how are you connecting the 8080ST to your AVR?
Where are you getting this information if you don't mind me asking. Have you see the waterfalls too? Keep in mind these types of numbers can be heavily influenced by placement and setup.

OP, If your bass response is struggling try moving your speakers closer to the wall to help improve bass response.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Where are you getting this information if you don't mind me asking. Have you see the waterfalls too? Keep in mind these types of numbers can be heavily influenced by placement and setup.

OP, If your bass response is struggling try moving your speakers closer to the wall to help improve bass response.
All from Home Theater Magazine.

True, they only give you one snapshot of the picture.:D

How the speakers sound to us in person with room acoustics & speaker placement is important.

B

Bghead8che

Audioholic Intern
The DefTechs measure well indeed. What the measurements don't tell you is how well the bass integrates, the speakers' ability to soundstage, or how fatiguing they can be (ruling out major FR anomalies). As a further illustration Axiom speakers measure very well in terms of FR. However, they are, IMHO, ear bleeding bright and very fatiguing.

Right now I have them hooked up as two channel speakers, running full range to test them out. I get a headache after a few minutes on most material. Please note, however, I am very sensitive to some speakers.

I'm not really sure why I bought the DTs. I swore of metal tweeters years ago and told myself I would never by speakers w/ integrated subs. I'm not sure what I was thinking. I am not saying they are not good speakers. They are just not good for "me".

I'm open to suggestions. Right now I am looking at the Aperion and Emotiva speakers.

Thanks,

-Brian

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
The DefTechs measure well indeed. What the measurements don't tell you is how well the bass integrates, the speakers' ability to soundstage, or how fatiguing they can be (ruling out major FR anomalies). As a further illustration Axiom speakers measure very well in terms of FR. However, they are, IMHO, ear bleeding bright and very fatiguing.

Right now I have them hooked up as two channel speakers, running full range to test them out. I get a headache after a few minutes on most material. Please note, however, I am very sensitive to some speakers.

I'm not really sure why I bought the DTs. I swore of metal tweeters years ago and told myself I would never by speakers w/ integrated subs. I'm not sure what I was thinking. I am not saying they are not good speakers. They are just not good for "me".

I'm open to suggestions. Right now I am looking at the Aperion and Emotiva speakers.

Thanks,

-Brian
The F-R says it all. It's got a huge bump in the upper range. One large enough that EQ should be used.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The F-R says it all. It's got a huge bump in the upper range. One large enough that EQ should be used.
From 40Hz-20kHz, the highest "bump" is +3.12dB, which is not far from the standard 3.00dB.

Now when it interacts with some room acoustics/placement, it may be higher than that.

But just based on the graph on HTM, it is a max of +3.12dB.

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
But just based on the graph on HTM, it is a max of +3.12dB.
+3.12dB relative to response at 1kHz, I'm guessing?

In any case, the peak at 10kHz is generally ~3-5dB higher than most of the rest of the spectrum...save for the bass and the peak centered around 200Hz.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
The aperion verus grand towers definitely look excellent.

I just bought a pair of Definitive Tech 8080STs and overall I think I can do better. I don't feel the bass is well integrated at times and there is zero front sound stage which I think is due to the bipolar design. Lastly, they are simply too fatiguing for me.
What do you mean by "front sound stage"?? Do you mean an "intimate" soundstage? If that's the case you may find yourself prefering narrow dispersion speakers like these. (i know they ain't pretty but...definitely see if you can get an audition... drop AK an email... reknowned for making sure most people get auditions). Or do you mean something else?

I am considering trying either the Aperion Grand Towers and matching center or Emotiva 8.3 with the 6.3 center. These are a bit lower than my budget which is great, however I could spend more if needed.
I dunno much about the Emotivas. On one hand, Vance Dickason certainly knows a thing or two about speaker design and on the other hand, a person here said the tweeters used in these speakers are dissapointing (i'm not sure in which way). With internet brands it's difficult for the majorities to audition so the best bet is to get an in home audition and decide for yourself.

Do also consider the Salk Songtowers. The current version uses ER15RLY woofers and Hiquphon OW2 tweeter and not the CA15RLYs and Hiquphon OW4 (which has always been a $100 upgrade) used in the Audioholics review but should sound extremely close and very accurate. They're an acceptably easy speaker load, they've got flat response, and the mass loaded quarter wave enclosure should make bass integration very smooth. There's people here and on AVS that gush over Dennis Murphy designs. There's the ER18 MTM diy speaker in the DIY section, and there's also the whole salk thread on avs. If you want natural, non fatiguing sound then these should definitely be on your list. You need to settle for the standard Black Satin finish if you want an in home trial, but a lot of Salk owners might let you audition these inside their homes. So you could get a different finish with no return period, if an audition impresses you. Or you could just get the beautiful satin blacks and live with them for a few weeks.

Everyone here also seems to love PSB speakers like the Image T6. The only time I ever heard a PSB speaker was at the Sony Store, where it was hooked up to a subwoofer that must have been 10db hot because i couldn't bring myself to sit down and listen. But you may as well audition them if you're looking.

Has anyone compared any of these? Are the Aperions bright? I've heard the Emotiva speakers are slightly laid back which may be my cup of tea.
This is why online companies absolutely need 30 day money back in home auditions or something along those lines.

The DefTechs measure well indeed.
Or do they? :confused: ;)

What the measurements don't tell you is how well the bass integrates, the speakers' ability to soundstage, or how fatiguing they can be (ruling out major FR anomalies).
Those measurements, yes. ;)

As a further illustration Axiom speakers measure very well in terms of FR. However, they are, IMHO, ear bleeding bright and very fatiguing.
Or do they? :cool: :confused: ;) :D :p

I'm not really sure why I bought the DTs. I swore of metal tweeters years ago and told myself I would never by speakers w/ integrated subs. I'm not sure what I was thinking.
Nothing wrong with a good metal tweeter, assuming it's not breaking up in its passband and it's well integrated. "listening fatigue" is a crossover function and shouldn't be tied in to driver material. For all you know, the most laid back warm sounding speaker could be using the most rigid driver material IE diamond, while the the most distorted, bright sounding speaker could be using a soft dome.

Be open to speakers, period. The problem with the def techs is not likely the metal dome tweeter but the overall speaker design. Returning to the PSBs, they use a metal dome tweeter. Listen to those and tell me if it's by any means fatiguing or harsh.

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
the FR graph tells a lot if you learn how to read it. For example that bump in the graph on home theater mag while in the range for 1khz creates a significantly audible difference with neighboring frequencies. Having this in the tweeter range is fatiguing for sure.

Bass integration is also measured with F-R plots. REW is a program dedicated to this purpose.

Sound stage can be measured in off-axis F-R plots.

The FR plot is a powerful tool in the right hands capable of telling nearly everything about a speakers sound. Coupled with a waterfall graph and distortion testing you can really dissect everything about a speaker.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
that bump in the graph on home theater mag while in the range for 1khz creates a significantly audible difference with neighboring frequencies. Having this in the tweeter range is fatiguing for sure.

(DefTech 8080 measures well???) Or do they? :cool: :confused: ;) :D :p

The problem with the def techs is not likely the metal dome tweeter but the overall speaker design.
You guys contributed to my decision to sell all my beloved DefTech speakers!!!:p

I thought my DefTechs sounded just fine.:D:p

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Keep in mind that a simple FR graph doesn't tell you if a speaker is running a driver into its breakup mode or if the cabinet has resonance issues. Most FR plots are done at low level where a problematic speaker typically doesn't misbehave. I touch on this in our up and coming article about loudspeakers.

B

Bghead8che

Audioholic Intern
Keep in mind that a simple FR graph doesn't tell you if a speaker is running a driver into its breakup mode or if the cabinet has resonance issues. Most FR plots are done at low level where a problematic speaker typically doesn't misbehave. I touch on this in our up and coming article about loudspeakers.
Yes, we all agree :D

I've read that the Aperion Verus series tends to be slightly forward in the treble and midrange. Definately not a laid back speaker... which is fine. I just don't want excessive brightness. Anyone had a chance to hear these? Not much on the AVS Owner's forum. Most people just say they like them.

-Brian

Anyone want a set of Def Techs? ;)

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic

Thanks,

-Brian
I would also look at the KEF Q900, and the REVEL Concerta F12's. Wow, those KEF's look very nice for around $800 or less each.
Something about the British, like Coldplay. :cool:

Have you found any independent reports on the Aperion's or Emotiva's? Would like to throw them in the loop also. I know EMO is still having a big sale, like many Mfg's. of late.

Since my Infinity RS-625's blew up, only mid range left that I can hear... I am in the market for a Pair of New Fronts also for Mostly HDTV, Movies, and some occasional music for the 2nd A/V Room with the Denon AVR-3311CI, and the PL-200 sub on its way.

I started by looking at the Infinity Classia C336 which you can pick up for $230 each now -- and then the P363BK ($200), but after ADTG chatted w/ me he is convincing me to take a step up to some KEF's or REVEL's (Around $1K+ for the Fronts) -- OUCH -- see what you did now ADTG. ;)

Let's see if I have an $800 Denon AVR-3311CI, my speakers should cost How Much? :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I started by looking at the Infinity Classia C336 which you can pick up for $230 each now -- and then the P363BK ($200), but after ADTG chatted w/ me he is convincing me to take a step up to some KEF's or REVEL's (Around $1K+ for the Fronts) -- OUCH -- see what you did now ADTG. ;)

Let's see if I have an $800 Denon AVR-3311CI, my speakers should cost How Much? :D
Yeah, actually your Denon 4311 is $2,000!!!:eek:

So your front speakers should be at least $4,000!!!:eek:

But I'll forgive you if they are $1,600 & up, or if they are Revel or KEF speakers.:D

I think those Klipsch speakers need to be moved to the Denon 3311, and the new speakers (Infinity CC336, or Revel F12, or KEF Q900) should go to the Denon 4311!:D

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
OP,
Sounds like you have the same listening tastes that I do.

I LOVE my PSB Image towers and for me they can't be beat for the price. However the Salk Song Towers with the ribbon tweeter add on are simply perfect, and for me the best speakers I have heard to date.

I have a pair of Aperion 4B's for my office system and they are great for that, a little brighter than the PSB's but very nice speakers. But IMO you could do much better than the Aperions.

I have not heard the Emotiva speakers. I have however heard that they are really great for home theater but not so great for 2 channel audio, which I'm assuming what you are looking for primarily.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Yeah, actually your Denon 4311 is $2,000!!!:eek:

So your front speakers should be at least $4,000!!!:eek:

But I'll forgive you if they are $1,600 & up, or if they are Revel or KEF speakers.:D

I think those Klipsch speakers need to be moved to the Denon 3311, and the new speakers (Infinity CC336, or Revel F12, or KEF Q900) should go to the Denon 4311!:D
For the time being am leaving the 4311/EMO/Klipsch setup in Main Room, but now Adding Infinity Classia 336's for FL/FR, with the CC225 to match Timbre to be driven by the Denon 3311 with the PL-200 Acoustech Sub.

The FL/FR/CC Infinity Classia's list out at MSRP = $2300, for these 3 speakers.

I picked them up new for $660 delivered to the door. :D

Now since the Denon AVR-3311CI was $1200 MSRP, my Spkr./AVR Ratio is:

$2300/$1200 = 1.92

Moving in the right direction -- next week after install, and rerunning Audyssey MultEQ XT, will update this post. :)

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Speaker - Listening Window Responses from ADTG

Just received from ADTG -- NICE JOB, and thanks for ALL Your Hard Work there ADTG --

The $750 Wharfedale Evolution 40's listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +2.40/–1.22 decibels from 200 Hz to 10 kilohertz.

The $800 KEF Q900’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +2.25/–0.65 decibels from 200 Hz to 10 kilohertz.

The $800 Totem Sttaf's listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +4.59/–2.82 decibels from 200 Hz to 10 kilohertz.

The $900 Infinity C336’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +2.22/–0.72 decibels from 200 Hz to 10 kilohertz.

The $1,500 Snell D7's listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +1.59/–2.58 decibels from 200 Hz to 10 kilohertz.

The $1,500 Dynaudio Focus 220's listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +0.99/–5.26 decibels from 200 Hz to 10 kilohertz.

The $2,400 Sonus Faber Domus Grand Piano's listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +2.19/–4.30 decibels from 200 Hz to 10 kilohertz.

The $2,500 PSB Synchrony One's listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +1.18/–2.24 decibels from 200 Hz to 10 kilohertz.

The $2,600 PCM OB1's listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +1.81/–2.31 decibels from 200 Hz to 10 kilohertz.

The $3,500 Revel F52's listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +1.44/–2.37 decibels from 200 Hz to 10 kilohertz.

The $4,000 B&W 803D's listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +1.90/–3.68 decibels from 200 Hz to 10 kilohertz.

The $11,000 Revel Salon2’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +0.99/–2.25 decibels from 200 Hz to 10 kilohertz.

The $13,500 Vienna Acoustics Music’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +3.49/–6.02 decibels from 200 Hz to 10 kilohertz.

So it looks like among these 13 speakers, the Infinity C336 somehow did the best on the Frequency Response, and very hard to believe it topped the REVEL SALON 2's. The question is these measurements DO NOT LIE, but what else is missing here??

B

Bghead8che

Audioholic Intern
Have an update....

Tried the Emotiva 8.3s due to the 20% off sale. I compared them directly to the DT 8080STs. In short, I though the DTs were superior in almost every regard. The Emotivas sounded very "boxed" in like you were listening to two big black boxes. The difference was not subtle.

I will have the Aperion Grands on Tuesday for round 2.

Not impressed by the Emotivas. I think 9/10 people would choose the DTs.

-Brian

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis