Need advice and suggestions for budget home theater and racking gear in closet

Crocosaurus

Crocosaurus

Audiophyte
Hi,

My wife and I just purchased our first home, and we would like to have a budget home theater. We are using a larger bedroom upstairs as our theater room. My goal is to rack all of the A/V gear in the closet. Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to do this? I was looking at Middle Atlantic ERK racks (18, 21, or 27U), which look like it should fit, but I don't know how I would access the back of it. I also plan on wiring the whole room myself.

Here are some pictures of the room and closet:

I also drew up a real quick n' dirty Visio floor plan of the room and the closet:

Thank you!
-Jason

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I'm impressed that you got the couch in there.

I know a guy who built his own house, who put his couch into a room before putting the walls up. The couch is too big to be removed from the room. He was rather proud of that when he got divorced and his wife got everything except his couch, since it couldn't be removed.

Anyway, if it were me, I'd probably just put up some wire shelves from Lowe's / Home Depot. A few of these pantry shelves, some angle braces and end brackets, maybe some drywall anchors and a bolt cutter to make it the length you need, and you're golden.

Also, if you could run some PVC pipe or something like this flexible PVC from your closet, in the ceiling above your couch, and down the wall near your television, you'll thank yourself later for the effort now.

Crocosaurus

Crocosaurus

Audiophyte
I'm impressed that you got the couch in there.

I know a guy who built his own house, who put his couch into a room before putting the walls up. The couch is too big to be removed from the room. He was rather proud of that when he got divorced and his wife got everything except his couch, since it couldn't be removed.

Anyway, if it were me, I'd probably just put up some wire shelves from Lowe's / Home Depot. A few of these pantry shelves, some angle braces and end brackets, maybe some drywall anchors and a bolt cutter to make it the length you need, and you're golden.

Also, if you could run some PVC pipe or something like this flexible PVC from your closet, in the ceiling above your couch, and down the wall near your television, you'll thank yourself later for the effort now.
The couch actually comes apart into two pieces, but it was still interesting getting it in there!

I actually picked up a brand new MA ERK-2720 rack this week for $100 (I just couldn't pass it up), so I'm going to see if I can make that work somehow. If I do, I'll post some pictures.

And as for the flex conduit, I can't run it over the ceiling, but there are crawlspaces on both sides of the room, so I have flex conduit running on both sides for the surrounds, and eventually for the closet.

If anyone has suggestions on how to make the MA ERK-2720 rack work with what I have, let me know!

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
As a guy who has done a fair amount of home remodeling, I would reconifgure the closet. Get rid of the single door and either go to a bi-fold setup, or get rid of doors all together. The materials would be cheap enough, couple 2x4's and some dry wall. "Custom" is always cool. Hope this helped. Send photos when room is done, would like to see how it turns out.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis