Need a sub to match Audioengine 5+ speakers

D

djames

Audiophyte
Hello, I'm gonna start off by saying I'm kinda a newb with this kind of stuff. So I have the audioengine 5+ speakers and the audioengine D1 DAC to go along with it. I'm looking for a subwoofer to go along with it. I'm willing to spend up to $450 even though my speakers only cost $350 lol. Anyways I'm going to use it mostly for watching shows and movies, a little bit of music too. I noticed the BIC Acoustech pl-200 has good reviews. Will that work with my audioengines and DAC? I'm open to any suggestions, thanks!

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Are you using these are computer speakers or home theater speakers in full room? Audioengine makes their own subwoofer, not exactly a whale-beacher but should integrated with no fuss.

If you're at a desk, I would look into a sealed unit. Keeps the size down, and in nearfield listening spaces they offer more then enough output to compliment the speakers (unless you only watch ware of the worlds, then i would go for something larger).

What models are you currently considering?

SheepStar

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Hsu also has the stf2 on sale for $375 shipped.

D

djames

Audiophyte
I'm using them as a home entertainment system. Right now they're in a small bedroom but when I move places they will be in a bigger area I'm sure. So i definitely won't be listening from as close as a computer. And ya i'm considering the audioengine S8 for the easy hook up. I just thought since the S8 costs $350 I can get a better sub for the same price.

D

djames

Audiophyte
Do I need a receiver to hook my speakers up with a subwoofer or can I just hook it up directly? and if so how do I hook them up with speaker wire or with RCA cables?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Do I need a receiver to hook my speakers up with a subwoofer or can I just hook it up directly? and if so how do I hook them up with speaker wire or with RCA cables?
I would not use them in that type of setup. They are designed for nearfield use, and they will not connect up nicely in a home theater system. They were meant to be used on a desktop computer system or as a speaker system to run as a stand alone for a TV or iPod. You could buy towers or something and run them as a 2.0 with a receiver down the road to attain some bass response. Then buy a subwoofer later on once you know the size and requirements of your room. I've had powered studio monitors (Mackie MR5) and I'm actually reviewing the Audioengines competitor right not (Kanto Yumi). I wouldn't use them for a Home Theater.

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Those speakers have an RCA audio output that can be used for the sub and it will work fine. You are still better off with a stereo receiver or a full blown AVR.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Hsu also has the stf2 on sale for $375 shipped.
stf2 is nice little sub, but it doesn't have low level input & output. PB1000 does. The latter would be much easier to connect.
This a bit hard to find feature at he lower end price point subs

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
stf2 is nice little sub, but it doesn't have low level input & output. PB1000 does. The latter would be much easier to connect.
This a bit hard to find feature at he lower end price point subs
Wouldn't matter, the A5+ has a L/R RCA output which would connect to any subwoofer and not require the subwoofer to need to output a signal. Most of these powered computer speakers have made accommodations for the addition of a subwoofer.

SheepStar

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I guess so, but with pb1000 you'd be able to use crossover :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis