Nakamichi Cassette Decks

20to20K

Full Audioholic
I'd like to purchase a used high end Nakamichi cassette deck but do not want to deal with the hassles that I've heard several people complain about the Dragon(difficult to operate and
calibrate, outrageously expensive to repair & maintain, hard to find someone who can service it properly) I've heard the same about the 1000ZXL as well.

Others I'm considering are the RX-505, ZX7 or ZX9, and the 680ZX. Does anyone have any of these models and if you do how "servicable" and user friendly are they?

My Harmon Kardon CD491 has croaked and I need a replacement.

Thanks!

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
I love my Nak

(19 years and counting)

But I am dreading the day that it dies, or needs serious repairs.

As much as I like my Nak, I would not buy a used one, especially an older unit (even though they are soooooo good), for fear of repair problems.

By the way, I would hesitate to buy any used cassette deck (any brand) for the usual problems with moving parts, damaged heads etc.

20to20K

Full Audioholic
Wait till you start lookin' for a new one!

You'll find that unless you go esoteric...you're not going to find much
of a choice of new ones out there. I remember when I bought my 491 in
84 I had a ton of $500-$1000 quality 3 head decks to choose from. Now?
FUH-GE-DUH-BOU-DIT! The market has all but disappeared.

Which Nak do you have?

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Tascam

Have you look into TASCAM, Denon, or Marantz decks yet. They are still made. Check Parts Express or Sweetwater.com.

I've been using a TASCAM 122 MkIII for several years, I bought it used and never had a problem with motors, belts, or heads.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis