NAD T753 AV Surround Sound Receiver ( needs new caps )

AsRock

AsRock

Enthusiast
Well i hope i have put this in the right place, if not hopefully some mod can move it to were it needs to be.

Anyways while checking over one of my aged AV a NAD T753 i have noticed 2 caps are in real bad shape, ones started to buldge and the other one rattles.

Problem i having is that they are 12000uf 80v 85c and would like to replace them for some reasonable priced ones but the only place i have found so far is on ebay coming from ebay and the user has some bad feedback which is concerning to say the least.

I did find some Nichicon 12000uf 71v 85c but was not to sure about them with having a lower voltage.

Like to keep to known good brands.

Thanks.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The cap needs to be the right capacity and the correct voltage. You will get what you want either at Mousser Electronics, or Digi-Key.

AsRock

AsRock

Enthusiast
Checked mousser but did not find any brands that i know i can trust.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Checked mousser but did not find any brands that i know i can trust.
I have used Mousser for years and never had a bad item from them. They have an excellent reputation and don't stock rubbish.

You need to replace those caps. Caps like that are dangerous. Under voltage is dangerous and if the voltage is too high the cpas will not charge properly.

Now get on with it and stop being a ninny.

AsRock

AsRock

Enthusiast
hehe, well i found some Rubycon hopefully they will do the trick. They gotta be better than what was in there as i said one actually rattled l0l.

Going take a while to remove the other caps but a little project for some months to come lol.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The cap needs to be the right capacity and the correct voltage. You will get what you want either at Mousser Electronics, or Digi-Key.
I love Mouser! Even better, they are about 3 hours up the interstate from me, so I get my orders in a couple of days. The last time my employer did a technology forum, Mouser had a rep here (they distribute our chips), so I spoke to him and collected some free loot.

Digi-key is also awesome, but to me they seem to be a bit pricier pretty much across the board.

AsRock

AsRock

Enthusiast
Well after having a good ol chat with Rubycon them self's they said don't use the ones i got, teach me to try to rush some thing haha.

So back to trying to get some replacements i have found a PDF telling me the details of each Samxon cap in the T753, well nearly all the 12000uf 80v 85c caps in the PDF i have don't tell me the ripple current.

As these plug in to to the front and surround amp i am looking for more infomation and if those on mousser would be suitable. They have a few there some as low as $6 each but all so have some for $12 which i do not mind spending but if they would be good for this i do not know.

What i do about these Samxon is as follows: 12000uf 80v 85c LP series ripple current @50v 5.50v @63v=6.30v but have nothing on them at 80v.

Or am i over thinking this ?. O yeah the 2 caps i been looking at and the only 2 they have in stock.
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/United-Chemi-Con/ESMH800VNN123MA63T/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMukHu%2bjC5l7YdYllfp8R3hhdMWUsAEUnYU=

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/United-Chemi-Con/EKMH800VRT123MB63T/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMukHu%2bjC5l7YRUYb2gL8f5AG/HaslNMygM=

Thank You.

All so been checking the caps on the main board to and most are near that 20% showing there age i just wanted to get these sorted first.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Well after having a good ol chat with Rubycon them self's they said don't use the ones i got, teach me to try to rush some thing haha.

So back to trying to get some replacements i have found a PDF telling me the details of each Samxon cap in the T753, well nearly all the 12000uf 80v 85c caps in the PDF i have don't tell me the ripple current.

As these plug in to to the front and surround amp i am looking for more infomation and if those on mousser would be suitable. They have a few there some as low as $6 each but all so have some for $12 which i do not mind spending but if they would be good for this i do not know.

What i do about these Samxon is as follows: 12000uf 80v 85c LP series ripple current @50v 5.50v @63v=6.30v but have nothing on them at 80v.

Or am i over thinking this ?. O yeah the 2 caps i been looking at and the only 2 they have in stock.
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/United-Chemi-Con/ESMH800VNN123MA63T/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMukHu%2bjC5l7YdYllfp8R3hhdMWUsAEUnYU=

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/United-Chemi-Con/EKMH800VRT123MB63T/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMukHu%2bjC5l7YRUYb2gL8f5AG/HaslNMygM=

Thank You.

All so been checking the caps on the main board to and most are near that 20% showing there age i just wanted to get these sorted first.
You need the second cap. The $12 jobs. The ripple current at 120 Hz is 5.58 amps. The impedance is 0.021 ohms. Heat dissipation is isquared R, so heat dissipation in the cap is 0.65 watts, so you will be fine.

Note those caps are snap in, but I don't see why you can't solder them.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

No, you need a cap that stores 12000 uf when charged to 80 volts.

I'm starting to think you have no business anywhere inside that unit. You do need some experience and savy when embarking on a project like this, when very dangerous situations can arise.

You now need to convince me you have what it takes before you get any more advice from me and embark on a project that could cause personally injury and loss of your home.

I'm not convinced you are intellectually or educationally equipped to take this on.

AsRock

AsRock

Enthusiast
My bad, i guess i did put that badly, but i was on about a different cap. There is a few that are not in spec no more.

This 100uf 100v is for the power amp ( audio ) side and was worried about the 100ma difference.

Yeah that would be a concern if that was what i was on about :p.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

My bad, i guess i did put that badly, but i was on about a different cap. There is a few that are not in spec no more.

This 100uf 100v is for the power amp ( audio ) side and was worried about the 100ma difference.

Yeah that would be a concern if that was what i was on about :p.
I really can't tell you, as I would need a schematic so I could see its function. The power supp;y caps are smoothing 80 volts going from 0 to 80 volts 120 times a second, so obviously the heating effect from leakage is important. If the other cap is at constant DC voltage, then leakage is not a heating concern.

The other issue, is why are you replacing the cap? The power supply caps I understand. However the other caps are long lasting as a rule. I don't go replacing caps just for the Hell of it. If the cap is causing an identified problem then change it. If not then don't fix what isn't broken.

AsRock

AsRock

Enthusiast
The other caps, well some are reacting to heat badly and one is wanting to pop and some others are near or passed the -20% than stated. The caps that are being replaced are mainly around a area that consist of 7 heat sinks which get a little toasty.

And it's a pain in the ass to get to these having to take off the back un screw the heatsink unplug de solder earth connections unplug all the PCB add on boards, so it just easier to just do them all in that area as there is about 17 caps around those heat sinks.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The other caps, well some are reacting to heat badly and one is wanting to pop and some others are near or passed the -20% than stated. The caps that are being replaced are mainly around a area that consist of 7 heat sinks which get a little toasty.

And it's a pain in the ass to get to these having to take off the back un screw the heatsink unplug de solder earth connections unplug all the PCB add on boards, so it just easier to just do them all in that area as there is about 17 caps around those heat sinks.
Did you measure the capacitance with the caps still installed on the board?

You really need to desolder and measure caps to get an accurate reading.

AsRock

AsRock

Enthusiast
Yeah, even more so when they give of crazy numbers, was just better to just replace them after all they are 13 years old and in a pretty hot location with pretty much no cooling in the area.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis