JBL 4367 Brings Reference Standard Speaker to Consumer Audio

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
JBL has released the JBL 4367 Studio Monitors to bring master reference quality into the home. We've come to admire the engineering and design of the new JBL M2 Master Reference studio speakers but their size and price tag is out of the reach of most audiophiles.

The new JBL 4367 promises much of the same M2 technology, in a slightly more compact package (still 135lb each), along with a built-in crossover allowing the use of conventional home amplifiers. Basically, if you’ve been wanting the lauded JBL M2 sound in your current system, the JBL 4367 is your best bet.

Read: JBL 4367 Studio Monitor Preview

Can this be a new reference standard in consumer loudspeakers? What do you think?http://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/jbl-4367-preview

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
For dumps like me, $15,000 is still no drop in the bucket.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I probably could have phrased the intro a little better to emphasis a more compact package as opposed to also implying this speaker is more affordable than the M2s. Both are way up there in price for most of us :(

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Bad news: Harman should seek for new Marketing people since this is bull:
“The JBL M2 has quickly established itself as the new reference standard in professional monitoring environments, and the JBL 4367 brings this high level of sonic accuracy to consumers,” said Jim Garrett, director of marketing and product management for Harman. “With the introduction of the 4367, home listeners everywhere can enjoy listening to music exactly as the artists, producers, and engineers intended it to be heard, from a loudspeaker that truly excels in every sonic respect.
Good news: Unlike more pro monitors priced each, it's 15k per pair, still not where I call typical consumer prices...

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Looks like the entire development budget went into the engineering, because it looks like appearance was an afterthought. I realize it's all about the sound, but for 15 grand? Come on.:rolleyes:

I'd love to hear them though...

A

Alobar

Audiophyte
While I will never dream of being able to afford these I'm glad to see JBL still out there making a great product. I suppose 15K is somewhat in line with their higher end prices from 40 years ago when I bought my first JBL's. I still have them (L200's) and enjoy them every day. I know that they are out of date, and wouldn't hold a candle to modern stuff like these 4367's but they are paid for and built to last! Something to be said for that!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Imo these clearly aimed at recording studios, since for half the price you can have these beauties:
I don't know about these JBL speakers, but these Salk's SS8 are stunning to look and listen.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
This speaker is in the JBL Synthesis line. They have an offering from their pro Cinema line which has a particle board cabinet model 3677 for about thirty four hundred that seems similar.

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
The one positive I see, if the rumor is true, is that JBL has finally figured out the math for the horn geometry. Some consider compression drivers to be the ideal for high frequency performance, but the shape of the horn makes or breaks that.

That said, $15k for a paper woofer does make me cringe. Especially when you consider the competition!

C

CNguyen777

Audiophyte
They are probably good speakers or you can get a pair of jbl l100t3 and be happy with their sounds.
Best little secret - a pair of bose 901 V or VI everywhere sweetspots, very coherent, very easy on the ears, great analog soundings out of your wav files..

E

ermesy

Audiophyte
The one positive I see, if the rumor is true, is that JBL has finally figured out the math for the horn geometry. Some consider compression drivers to be the ideal for high frequency performance, but the shape of the horn makes or breaks that.

That said, $15k for a paper woofer does make me cringe. Especially when you consider the competition!
Please excuse the late update but....from Australian Hi-Fi review of JBL's Studio 590 :

Interestingly, despite the preponderance of advertising, all other things being equal, a paper cone is still stronger, lighter, and less resonant than either a polypropylene or a metal cone... but it’s easier to write sexy advertising copy about polypropylene or metal cones than it is about paper cones.

I remember when Jamo released their much lauded R909/907 speakers they went with paper woofers because of their speed and response. JBL and Jamo certainly aren't the only speaker manufacturers to use paper (or "fibre") in their drivers. Whatmough Audio (an Australian speaker company) also use paper drivers in many of their speakers because, according to their founder Colin Whatmough, they sound "more natural" to the human ear.
Not tryin' to start an argument....just sayin'. I think the quote above about "sexy advertising copy" speaks volumes (pun not intended in a discussion about speakers!!)

J

JRT3

Junior Audioholic
Actually, according to JBL Pro's advertising, you can have their "Image Control Waveguide (which) was developed for JBL's new flagship M2 Master Reference Monitor and with the introduction of the new JBL 3 Series, is now available for the first time in an affordable, compact reference monitor.". My two LSR-305 'Powered Studio Monitors' do sound pretty good, but I'll bet the 4367 has a bit more low end... Still, at as little as a C-note per unit (Black Friday price...), they do sound pretty good... make super computer speakers, too!

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Please excuse the late update but....from Australian Hi-Fi review of JBL's Studio 590 :

Interestingly, despite the preponderance of advertising, all other things being equal, a paper cone is still stronger, lighter, and less resonant than either a polypropylene or a metal cone... but it’s easier to write sexy advertising copy about polypropylene or metal cones than it is about paper cones.

I remember when Jamo released their much lauded R909/907 speakers they went with paper woofers because of their speed and response. JBL and Jamo certainly aren't the only speaker manufacturers to use paper (or "fibre") in their drivers. Whatmough Audio (an Australian speaker company) also use paper drivers in many of their speakers because, according to their founder Colin Whatmough, they sound "more natural" to the human ear.
Not tryin' to start an argument....just sayin'. I think the quote above about "sexy advertising copy" speaks volumes (pun not intended in a discussion about speakers!!)
Totally agree! That was light sarcasm, I acknowledge that a 'paper' cone is hardly a paper product given all the other additives to give it strength and durability.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis