RBH Sound I-12 and I-12/e Subwoofer Preview

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
RBH Sound has long been on our Audioholics short list of high performance, high value speakers and now they are revamping their subwoofer to target the very competitive ID marketplace. These new Impression Series of subwoofers leverages some of the core technology, design, and materials from other RBH products.

These subs look like they've got the right hardware to promise, everyday home theater mortals real-world, high-impact, low frequency performance at affordable prices.

Read: RBH Sound I-12 and I-12/e Subwoofer Preview

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
All the speakers in that room... ADTG is like... DROOL! Flashback! DROOL! :D.

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
Seems like decent subs. Ok performance and decent looks but IMO nothing to get excited about. Some stiff competition from Rythmik And SVS. PB2000 is $100 bucks more and gets you a flatter response, cast frame driver and deeper extension. The $499 I-12 vs the PB1000 the SVS has deeper and extension but may give up little output, but its a little more compact. The Rythmik LV12R also has deeper extension than the $499 I-12 for just a little more $70. Really their performance, weight, specs are pretty average for this price range. Nothing to really make them stand out from the crowd other than the glossy finishes.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
That's the thing, though, isn't it. The glossy finishes are crucial to some. It could mean the difference between spousal acceptance or rejection. Even though the Rythmik LV12R probably performs better, it (along with SVS's offerings) is still a dull black slab compared to the nicer finish from RBH. Have you checked the prices of veneered and polished cabinets? And those don't even offer the graceful curves of the RBH cabinets.

I may be inclined to recommend a Hsu VTF-15H in rosewood over the RBH I-12/e, but the less expensive I-12 could be lovely in a small 2.1 setup.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Seems like decent subs. Ok performance and decent looks but IMO nothing to get excited about. Some stiff competition from Rythmik And SVS. PB2000 is $100 bucks more and gets you a flatter response, cast frame driver and deeper extension. The $499 I-12 vs the PB1000 the SVS has deeper and extension but may give up little output, but its a little more compact. The Rythmik LV12R also has deeper extension than the $499 I-12 for just a little more $70. Really their performance, weight, specs are pretty average for this price range. Nothing to really make them stand out from the crowd other than the glossy finishes.
That is just a testament to how competitive the subwoofer ID marketplace is these days from the likes of the brands you mentioned. Of course as you know, you could do a LOT worse both aesthetically and performance wise from a select few ID brands.

As for frequency response, the I-12 looks pretty damn flat to me and those measurements were done in-room not outdoor GP or anechoic and NO smoothing! Also the I-12/e has the same weight and similar box size as the PB-2000 so I'm not sure how that qualifies as "average weight".

I have a feeling the I-12/e is going to have some impressive output #s when we get around to testing it. A couple of people at AVS forum have already bought this sub and really like it.

These look like a really great value for folks wanting lots of output in a nice although ungodly large box :)

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Even though the Rythmik LV12R probably performs better, it (along with SVS's offerings) is still a dull black slab compared to the nicer finish from RBH.
This is yet to be seen. 300W vs 500W. Single port vs triple ports.
I may be inclined to recommend a Hsu VTF-15H in rosewood over the RBH I-12/e, but the less expensive I-12 could be lovely in a small 2.1 setup.
Hsu VTF-15H in rosewood is probably more capable, but doesn't offer free shipping and thus about $250 more expensive

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Not to mention that EMP has been pretty good about sales a couple times a year. May turn into a great value sub when a sale price comes around.

R

Rayderfan

Audiophyte
I will buy 2 of these when they have the black friday sale. I own 2 svs subs now and enjoy the sound but damn they are ugly. I own the impression series towers after getting a wild hair last year during the sale. I own a complete paradigm reference studio 100v3 set up and wanted to see what the RBH towers could do compared to my old reliables.I was so impressed with the sound and the tweeter was much more to my liking than the bright paradigms. I have now retired the references to the closet along with an older set of MB Quart domain towers until it suits me to pull them out for a listen again not to mention i was very impressed how well the RBH handle the emotiva xpa-1v2 mono blocks. That i was not expecting. I am betting on a great experience with these subs even if we do lose a tad bit of bass extension. As far as a flatter response goes most rooms will kill that anyway without some sort of processing. Now just sit and wait for them to go on sale!!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I will buy 2 of these when they have the black friday sale. I own 2 svs subs now and enjoy the sound but damn they are ugly.
With heavy heart and lots convincing I am be able to relieve you from your ugly and terrible SVS subs :rolleyes:

Transmaniacon

Transmaniacon

Audioholic
Any update on when we can expect the review? That video seems very promising though, in a 6000+ cubic square foot room, it was digging down into the high teens. In a normal sized room you would see even better performance, I think once we see the numbers there may be a new $500 champ.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
RBH is sending me one after CEDIA to check out. I will pull a few measurements and do a YouTube video overview and then send it to one of our guys for a full review. Stay tuned...

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Any update on when we can expect the review? That video seems very promising though, in a 6000+ cubic square foot room, it was digging down into the high teens. In a normal sized room you would see even better performance, I think once we see the numbers there may be a new $500 champ.
This all depends on how you look at FR for a sub.

Measurement in an anechoic chamber is the lab standard because it is repeatable.

Many people look for a flat FR out of a sub in an anechoic chamber (or using measurement techniques to approximate an anechoic chamber). Personally, I think this is a misguided approach. However, for people that do look at it that way, I suspect these subs will roll off significantly when measured in an anechoic chamber.

The in room response of these subs is most impressive because of the lack of bass nodes and nulls. You could see some treatments in the room, and I suspect some time was spent tuning the room in order to obtain such flat in-room response.

Understand that none of this is a criticism of RBH or this sub. They look to be excellent musical subs and I would be looking strongly at them if I was in the market.

I appreciate seeing in-room response because I have had subs that measured anechoically flat down to 20Hz and it was not possible to get the bass in the lower frequencies properly balanced once I put the sub in my room. The room gain on the low end was too great for Audyssey to smooth out!

Transmaniacon

Transmaniacon

Audioholic
RBH is sending me one after CEDIA to check out. I will pull a few measurements and do a YouTube video overview and then send it to one of our guys for a full review. Stay tuned...
Thanks for the update! I know a lot of people on AVS are waiting for some third party measurements, looking forward to seeing what you guys think.

Transmaniacon

Transmaniacon

Audioholic
This all depends on how you look at FR for a sub.

Measurement in an anechoic chamber is the lab standard because it is repeatable.

Many people look for a flat FR out of a sub in an anechoic chamber (or using measurement techniques to approximate an anechoic chamber). Personally, I think this is a misguided approach. However, for people that do look at it that way, I suspect these subs will roll off significantly when measured in an anechoic chamber.

The in room response of these subs is most impressive because of the lack of bass nodes and nulls. You could see some treatments in the room, and I suspect some time was spent tuning the room in order to obtain such flat in-room response.

Understand that none of this is a criticism of RBH or this sub. They look to be excellent musical subs and I would be looking strongly at them if I was in the market.

I appreciate seeing in-room response because I have had subs that measured anechoically flat down to 20Hz and it was not possible to get the bass in the lower frequencies properly balanced once I put the sub in my room. The room gain on the low end was too great for Audyssey to smooth out!
Yeah I agree that the in-room response is nice because it's more applicable to the average user. Granted that room is treated, but impressive nonetheless!

Transmaniacon

Transmaniacon

Audioholic
Hey Gene, are you still planning on doing this review?

R

Rick Ross

Enthusiast
What happened to the full review of this sub that was supposed to take place earlier in the year?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis