Speaker Placement: Setup Tips for Upgraded Home Theater Systems

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
We received numerous emails from fellow Audioholics who recently upgraded their home theater systems to find that the sonic improvements were less than expected. This is a topic that comes up more often than you think when the Home Theater enthusiast upgrades his or her equipment. There are a few factors you need to consider to solve this issue, which we discuss within.

Also, be sure to check out our recent Youtube Video which talks about how many speakers you need for a good home theater surround experience.

Read Speaker Placement: Setup Tips for Upgraded Home Theater Systems

How many speakers are you running in your home theater?

[video=youtube_share;zV22wnD37D0]http://youtu.be/zV22wnD37D0[/video]

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Good video and advice, but not what I expected. "Setup tips for upgraded home theater systems"... upgraded is what caught my attention.
Maybe you could consider this for some future video. This is the guy who already has a nice 5.1 - 7.2 system, and is now upgrading his front speakers.

Current system is fine for movies, but L/R upgrade is to improve stereo music listening. Plan is to listen for a while, then decide if Center is also necessary. The old L/Rs are likely better than the old surrounds, so considerations are moving the old L/Rs to surround duty, or just moving them out.

This seems like a fairly common scenario among audioholics. I, for one, would appreciate your view, advice, hints and tips on set up of new L/Rs and possibly relocated old L/Rs to surround duty, as part of an existing system. In other words, an upgraded home theater system. :D

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
I think the "upgrade" was based on the premise that going from 5.1 to say Atmos, was the upgrade. I'm not sure if I would consider this an upgrade, more of a different angle of audio attack.

I personally see 7.1, 9.1, Atmos as being different variations of the same theme. I can't say if Atmos is "better" than 5.1 because I've never heard it. For one thing I barely have room for 5.1.

Going from my Pioneer HTIB to Ascend towers, now that's an upgrade, IMO.

In short, +1 to Herbu's thoughts on this.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Good video and advice, but not what I expected. "Setup tips for upgraded home theater systems"... upgraded is what caught my attention.
Maybe you could consider this for some future video. This is the guy who already has a nice 5.1 - 7.2 system, and is now upgrading his front speakers.

Current system is fine for movies, but L/R upgrade is to improve stereo music listening. Plan is to listen for a while, then decide if Center is also necessary. The old L/Rs are likely better than the old surrounds, so considerations are moving the old L/Rs to surround duty, or just moving them out.

This seems like a fairly common scenario among audioholics. I, for one, would appreciate your view, advice, hints and tips on set up of new L/Rs and possibly relocated old L/Rs to surround duty, as part of an existing system. In other words, an upgraded home theater system. :D
Upgrade can mean anything. New AVR, new speakers, etc. If you don't have proper setup and speaker positioning, and a good room, you can get disappointing results. that's all. Old article updated to tie in to our new youtube video...

S

scattershot

Audioholic
Gene could I ask you about the AV rack to your left ... is it a custom build or did you buy it somewhere?
If you bought it somewhere did you add any cooling fans to it?

Looking for an AV rack with adjustable shelfs made to spec (at least 18" wide by 20" deep) ideally one that can rotate (for easy access to rear terminals) and slits in shelving to run cables, etc. I have a lot of gear and need something flexible and big...

Thanks.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene could I ask you about the AV rack to your left ... is it a custom build or did you buy it somewhere?
If you bought it somewhere did you add any cooling fans to it?

Looking for an AV rack with adjustable shelfs made to spec (at least 18" wide by 20" deep) ideally one that can rotate (for easy access to rear terminals) and slits in shelving to run cables, etc. I have a lot of gear and need something flexible and big...

Thanks.
Yes it was designed by Middle Atlantic. The entire front pulls out after you install the legs. Very convenient. It has cooling fans at the top but I've never had to use them.

S

scattershot

Audioholic
Middle Atlantic? Ah so a custom job darn it. If anyone knows a manufacturer website that makes pre-fabbed one's please share the link(s) for those of us looking for a flexible shelf. Thanks.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Middle Atlantic? Ah so a custom job darn it. If anyone knows a manufacturer website that makes pre-fabbed one's please share the link(s) for those of us looking for a flexible shelf. Thanks.
Not custom. You can order what you want already built:
Middle Atlantic

S

scattershot

Audioholic
I never knew that Middle Atlantic made credenza's. There C5 series products seem VERY interesting and fit a variety of décor options:
C5 Series, Options

If they could ever allow you to do an in-depth video review of one of their C5 Credenza's I think many of us would really appreciate that!

I've helped clients with Sanus and Salamander designs, for example, or had carpenters make custom jobs (like the one I designed for myself) but the Middle Atlantic design, while pricey, seems like an awesome options because it’s very well made, highly flexible, yet features enough modern and classic finishes to please most installers. For people like apartment dwellers who don't have the usable living space to have a classic vertical rack, these credenza's (like the 3 rack wide one's) can still offer a lot of flexibility for those not wanting to compromise the quantity and quality of AV components they wish to have.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis