$1,000 5.1 Channel Recommended Home Theater System

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Do you want to build a respectable home theater, but have $1,000 to spend on the whole kit and caboodle? Forget that HTIB system from your local big box: while the prices of such setups are usually attractive, their performance typically leaves a lot to be desired. Instead, take a peak at the Audioholics $1,000 5.1 recommended home theater system. We built a setup on a shoestring budget that will leave any HTIB in the dust, as well as compare favorably with systems costing much more. Curious to see what components we picked?

Read our $1k 5.1 Home Theater Recommended System

Let us know if you have any of these components and how you like them.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds like a very nice setup within that budget. Depending on the needs, I'd probably opt for something like the Denon E300 AVR or the new replacement model, but even with the Pioneer, it still sounds like a good starting point.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
A $1k 5.1 setup is just too depressing to think about. I suppose one is not likely to top the listed products. If it were me, I would grab five Infinity Primus p153s when they are on sale for $50 each, maybe use the same pioneer receiver, and get a Reaction BPS 212 subwoofer. However, in my opinion, a $1k sound system would be better spent on a 2.0 setup instead of a surround sound system.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
You could get a good a decent 2.1 system for $1K with bookshelf speakers that can be moved back for surrounds at a later time for a 5.1 system; I'd take the savings and beef up the subwoofer for the time being. Still, if you must have surround, or need secondary surround system, I don't think I could put together a better one for $1K.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
IMHO, the only way to improve that recommendation would be 4x BS22, a CS22 and a bigger sub. I'd say BS22 all around, but they're only sold in pairs and 5.1 or 7.1 would leave one speaker catching dust bunnies.

Topken

Topken

Junior Audioholic
Now that its a couple of years later this needs some revision.

S

shawnlim

Audiophyte
I believe there are newer versions of speakers available in the market now with much better performance, and probably, a more cheaper build..?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I believe there are newer versions of speakers available in the market now with much better performance, and probably, a more cheaper build..?
In 2 years of time nothing too big has changed in speaker design. Its the electronics that change more in short timeline, like new features coming every year..

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
You may believe in unicorns and bigfoot for all I care. AJ who designed these speakers already left Pio a while ago and joined Elac. Elac does indeed make solid and affordable speakers, but in in same price point than these Pioneers.

Go back and study carefully what @rojo said above...

R

Rodrigo Sarmiento

Audiophyte
Thank you for the information, it has been really helpful for me to make a decision to buy my first 5.1 HT system. However, if you update the information please do it right because the receiver previously posted was the vsx-524 which indeed has the MCACC technology, this one (vsx-531) doesn't, would the vsx-532 work? it does have the MCACC feature. Also please update the date.

C

chandu6119

Audiophyte
i have the pioneer fs52 floorstanding and sony core for surround ,center,ceiling atmos speakers.i am looking for a budget subwoofer. i am thinking to buy a bic america f12(199$) or bic america h100ii(250$).is speedwoofer 10s(399$) is 150$ better than those?my budget is bit tight and want to know that speedwoofers are really worth over bic. since both advertise 24hz lows. also i am planning for dual subs in the future(maybe after 3-6 months).my room is 2600cft,listening area is 1500cft. also please suggest me whether a single speedwoofer 10s will be better than 2 bic subwoofers?since dual speedwoofers will cost 800$(very costly for me) .

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
i have the pioneer fs52 floorstanding and sony core for surround ,center,ceiling atmos speakers.i am looking for a budget subwoofer. i am thinking to buy a bic america f12(199$) or bic america h100ii(250$).is speedwoofer 10s(399$) is 150$ better than those?my budget is bit tight and want to know that speedwoofers are really worth over bic. since both advertise 24hz lows. also i am planning for dual subs in the future(maybe after 3-6 months).my room is 2600cft,listening area is 1500cft. also please suggest me whether a single speedwoofer 10s will be better than 2 bic subwoofers?since dual speedwoofers will cost 800$(very costly for me) .
Personally I think it's worth aiming at the better subs, and the Speedwoofer 10s is good value but I wouldn't buy one myself (prefer larger subs myself). Sometimes you simply have to save up longer. Depends what you mean by "better" to an extent, too...dual subs inherently have an edge in a few ways over a single. I think jman gave you some guidance on the two BICs but don't think you popped the RSL sub question in that thread posting. I'd probably get two SUB1500s from parts-express.com for your budget, tho. What do you expect from a sub? Do you have any particular spl or extension goals (i.e. how loud and low do you want)?

C

chandu6119

Audiophyte
Personally I think it's worth aiming at the better subs, and the Speedwoofer 10s is good value but I wouldn't buy one myself (prefer larger subs myself). Sometimes you simply have to save up longer. Depends what you mean by "better" to an extent, too...dual subs inherently have an edge in a few ways over a single. I think jman gave you some guidance on the two BICs but don't think you popped the RSL sub question in that thread posting. I'd probably get two SUB1500s from parts-express.com for your budget, tho. What do you expect from a sub? Do you have any particular spl or extension goals (i.e. how loud and low do you want)?
thank you for the response,i want to buy the sub in usa and carry to india so i am limited in size.total shipping dimension should not exceed 62inch. speedwoofer 10s,bic f12,bic h100ii,svs sb1000,dayton 12inch are below this limit.i dont have particular goals regarding very low frequencies.i really want a good subwoofer mainly for action ,sci-fi movies and some hip-hop music.i read that below 25hz sub is better for that.but for my budget and size which is better?bic h100ii or speedwoofer 10s?worth the extra amount?looking for smooth and thud feel.also 400$ is max i can extend.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@chandu6119 Total shipping dimension? Being a lifelong international freight forwarder that doesn't make a lot of sense to me :). This for taking as baggage I assume? Or in your lap on the plane? :) J/K about the lap thing (but still curious what dimensions you add up for a total of 62). You're talking about a sub as packed by the seller or just thinking about the dimensions of the sub itself? I'd stick with ported subs, so would eliminate the SB1000 and would probably go for what I perceive as a better quality product, the RSL sub of that bunch, and I'd look for information on amp failures of the various models you're interested in since you will be out of warranty in India for subs purchased here.

C

chandu6119

Audiophyte
ya taking it has checked baggage,in India all subs are double or triple the price .total shipping carton dimension should be below 62 inch,for example rsl 10s is 20inch*20inch*20inch and under 50 pound.is rsl really 150$ better than bic america?since both advertise +- 3db as 24hz. will 10s has more rumble and output than bic america? in warranty period both companies can able to send replacement amp to USA address,from there i can get through cargo or through my friends.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis