Video Review: SVS Ultra Series Speakers

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
We got a chance to check out SVS's Ultra Series Speakers. While the bookshelf models really stole the show, there is a lot to see here that we like.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/GMBdm5xjJVI" frameborder="0" height="281" width="500"></iframe>​

Discuss "SVS Ultra Series Speakers Video Review" here. Read the article.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Wow, Marshall. That was a superb video review! Very, very well done, mate.

As for the speakers, your review lines up well with the opinions I've been hearing from others. I will have to have a listen in person as soon as I am able!

Keep up the great work, Marshall. Your effort is much appreciated, and your continued practice and refinement of your reviews, videos and podcasts is really paying off!

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
Thank you. I'll be happy to answer any specific questions posted here, but I tried to cover a lot of ground in the video.

S

SnowmaNick

Junior Audioholic
Great review Marshall. In regards to the center vs. bookshelf, did you notice any additional output or off axis capabilities, or was it mainly a difference in the lower midbass?

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Great review Marshall. In regards to the center vs. bookshelf, did you notice any additional output or off axis capabilities, or was it mainly a difference in the lower midbass?
The speakers were very clean, even at very high listening levels, so I did not hear a difference in quality of sound at the highest listening levels between the center and bookshelf. I also used Audyssey for multichannel listening, but did not note the set levels to see if one were more efficient according to Audyssey (SVS lists both at 87db). Off-axis seem consistent across models, which is to say little to no difference from on-axis at about 30 degrees, but I did not take any (admittedly amateur) measurements to back this up. For me, I struggle with even tonality across the front three channels in my main system, so I listened to a lot of panned cues. While the center performed well, the bookshelf with the towers seemed more seamless in this particular application. Some day, I'll get my acoustically transparent screen and matching three fronts and then all will be right in the world :)

N

NewHTbuyer

Audioholic
Thanks for the review. I read the text but the video does not seem to work right now.

I have a set of towers and I have been enjoying them very much. It seems like you, me, and most other reviewers are describing similar characteristics. While they do not do everything perfect, the combination of great sound, solid construction, and the SVS brand is hard to beat.

I made the same comment re the grills and wishing that they had used magnetic attachments when I posted my review on the SVS website a few weeks ago. Other than that, I really have no complaints.

Also, it is nice to see some measurements finally. You posted meaurements but could you discuss how you measured the speakers? Also, looking at the graph with the tower measurement and the JBL, I assume the peak at about 1300 Hz is due to the room. Otherwise, they towers look like they measure pretty good except for a small peak at 500 Hz. I would love to hear comments from so others re the measurements, since I am not that experienced in interpreting them

Thanks again,

Mike

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the video. It seems to be working now, so give it another shot.

I agree on your summation: These represent one of the best values out there. They do a whole lot better than most every speaker that costs less, and many that cost more.

The measurements in the video were from 1m away on axis, though I also did 30 degrees off-axis and from the MLP just to double check some assumptions. I used a Dayton mic with cal file, Behringer Mixer for phantom power, onboard HTPC sound card, REW software. Speakers were measured in the same position 3' min away from walls. A few 2" OC703 treatments here and there. Like I say, non-anechoic and amateur, but better than nothing and informs my perspective a bit. One thing I've really noted in doing side-by-sides is that you can't replace listening with measurements; nothing beats your ears. I suppose that's a fairly controversial statement.

Please let me know if you have some followup questions and I'll do my best to add or clarify.

Glad you're enjoying your set, and I did read a fair bit of your $2-3k thread, but didn't want to color my own opinion too much before getting ears on. I'll have to go back and read the whole thing now.

Thanks for the review. I read the text but the video does not seem to work right now.

I have a set of towers and I have been enjoying them very much. It seems like you, me, and most other reviewers are describing similar characteristics. While they do not do everything perfect, the combination of great sound, solid construction, and the SVS brand is hard to beat.

I made the same comment re the grills and wishing that they had used magnetic attachments when I posted my review on the SVS website a few weeks ago. Other than that, I really have no complaints.

Also, it is nice to see some measurements finally. You posted meaurements but could you discuss how you measured the speakers? Also, looking at the graph with the tower measurement and the JBL, I assume the peak at about 1300 Hz is due to the room. Otherwise, they towers look like they measure pretty good except for a small peak at 500 Hz. I would love to hear comments from so others re the measurements, since I am not that experienced in interpreting them

Thanks again,

Mike

N

NewHTbuyer

Audioholic
The video works fine now..it was probably an issue at my work.

I debated getting the bookshelves and a PB or SB 12 sub vs. the towers. I ended up with the towers because the room is right under a bedroom and I didn't want too many complaints from the wife at night from ultra low bass.

Thanks for the review.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

The video works fine now..it was probably an issue at my work.

I debated getting the bookshelves and a PB or SB 12 sub vs. the towers. I ended up with the towers because the room is right under a bedroom and I didn't want too many complaints from the wife at night from ultra low bass.

Thanks for the review.
Yep, shared spaces are tough. This house is the first time I haven't had shared walls with the neighbors and I'm living the dream. For the most part, my partner has the same waking/sleeping hours I do, so short of some headphone time early on the weekend, I don't have to worry too much about sound transmission.

Shek5150

Shek5150

Audioholic
mg

Marshall,

I appreciated your review . . . BTW: if you're a 'rookie' then I suppose that makes me a 'audio-neophyte' ~ well done . . .

In any case, I just wanted to add that I've had my SVS Ultra Bookshelf Speakers for several weeks now and w/ the guidance of "FR", I initially purchased them along w/ a few others (B&W 685s/686s; Ascend Sierra-1 Bookshelf Speakers and the Aperion Verus Grand Bookshelf speakers . . .) in order to hold an "in home audition" . . . since I've always heard talk of this process; but never actually performed one . . . (& though the B&W CM5's didn't' actually make it into my house; I did also audition these speakers)

In the process of following FR's auditioning guidelines, I auditioned all 5-sets of speakers in my smaller listening room (11’6” x 9’6”) in both 2.0 & 2.1 configurations (w/ the SVS SB13 Ultra & my larger HT room (18’6”x 14’) where I have the Paradigm Studio 100-v5 setup.

Admittedly, in the smaller music room, the 2.1 made for a very complete sound . . . I don't really listen to a lot of base-heavy music; so, I returned the SVS Sub to my basement HT . . . & I truly enjoy 'just' the bookshelf's in my little listening room (& since I live in DC shared townhome living; I'm sure the neighbors enjoyed the SVS sub going back to the basement). I was definitely impressed w/ the SVS's ability to play clearly at virtually any volume level & I was never able to make it distort (playing at -5 to -10) . . . and to clarify, I don't really know much about all the audio jargon; but I can say that the clarity, quality/detail and expansiveness of the sound from these little things is what ultimately sold me on them. . . and though they have a very different tonal quality than my Paradigms; I found that when I dropped the SVS Ultra BSS's in place of my Studio 100s . .. I was very pleased w/ the end result . . . and except for those with a very discerning ear, I don't think anyone would have known I was running bookshelf speakers as my mains (w/ the CC-690 & ADP-590s as accompaniment).

And as far as the other speakers (in my home audition); the only other one that even came close to the same level of appreciation was the Sierra-1s. . . the other three weren't even close (they just always felt like small speakers trying to push out more than they were capable of). . . my final decision came down to the Sierra-1s & the SVS Ultra BSSs. . . and though I preferred the tonal quality of the Sierras; the overall clarity, quality/detail and expansiveness of the sound from the SVSs sold me on these . . .

Anyway, I hope it was okay to put my 2-cents out there regarding the bookshelf speakers w/out stepping on your review.

Thanks again.

Shek

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Booooo!!! :mad: That review needed more golf club.

:D :D

Marshall, that was excellent! Very professional job. I had considered getting the bookshelves on preorder, and I was totally happy not doing it...but then you had to go and make that review. :) But, I'm still happy, because I don't listen at very high volumes. They sure do look great, though.

Maybe I'll enter that contest for the towers. I'm guessing that you aren't eligible for that anymore. :p

P

perpetualglass

Audioholic Intern
Great video review! I REALLY wanted to like these things. Their lack of midrange seemed far more appropriate for HT performance, though.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Anyway, I hope it was okay to put my 2-cents out there regarding the bookshelf speakers w/out stepping on your review.
Opinions are like elbows...everyone should rest on their own. Audioholics is the perfect place for folks to share their experience. My videos are intended to be conversation starters, so thank you for participating.

I initially purchased them along w/ a few others (B&W 685s/686s; Ascend Sierra-1 Bookshelf Speakers and the Aperion Verus Grand Bookshelf speakers . . .) in order to hold an "in home audition"
I'm in the process of getting a projector setup, and then my next upgrade priority goes:

1) Speakers
2) AVR with Mult-EQ XT32
2) 2nd Sub
100) Fancy Cables :)

As I was thinking about other speaker options, both the Ascend and Aperion speakers came to mind. It's good to hear about your audition of each. Did you get the Ascends with the NRT tweeter? Obviously, this bumps them a few hundred over the comparable SVS model.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Booooo!!! :mad: That review needed more golf club.

:D :D

Marshall, that was excellent! Very professional job. I had considered getting the bookshelves on preorder, and I was totally happy not doing it...but then you had to go and make that review. :) But, I'm still happy, because I don't listen at very high volumes. They sure do look great, though.

Maybe I'll enter that contest for the towers. I'm guessing that you aren't eligible for that anymore. :p
I agree, and if SVS ever wants to go gimmicky with their marketing, I'd be happy to tee up one of their grills and give it my best Arnold Palmer. I'll try to keep the humorous touches going in future videos.

And no, I'm not eligible for the Towers otherwise I'd be first in line. I declared the bookshelfs standouts based on their value, but given the opportunity to win a model, I'd be over the moon for the towers.

P.S. Good luck in the contest.

Last edited:
Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Great video review! I REALLY wanted to like these things. Their lack of midrange seemed far more appropriate for HT performance, though.
Oh, I DID like them, especially because I don't typically run my system for background noise. If it's on, it's moderately loud and I'm paying attention.

I'm not sure what the working definition of midrange is: up to 3k? 5k? At any rate, with the SVS, I tuned into the crispness of sibilant voices, fingers on strings, a snare ring...maybe that's high-frequency, not midrange? At any rate, that forward edge came out in the SVS at moderate volumes (-10dB from reference according to my Audyssey setup in my Onkyo AVR) and made them my preferred speaker at those volumes, but I found it lacking at -20dB.

I'm certain this is personal preference born from years of listening to my exaggerated (from neutral response) JBLs, which is why the SVS 45-day in home trial is such a bonus. With their entire Bill of Rights, the customer is assured to get a speaker that's right for them and to remain happy with it for years.

P

perpetualglass

Audioholic Intern
When I say they lacked midrange, it was as if all stringed, acoustic instruments had been run through a metallic tube/filter, or had been sourced from 192k mp3s. Guitars, Harps, Pianos sounded digitized at best.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

When I say they lacked midrange, it was as if all stringed, acoustic instruments had been run through a metallic tube/filter, or had been sourced from 192k mp3s. Guitars, Harps, Pianos sounded digitized at best.
Hmm...well, I've still got them here. Let me try some things out and get back to everyone on that. Were you listening to the bookshelves or towers? Where did you hear them at?

I'll warn everyone in advance re: strings: I'm not a classical music aficionado. I like Yo-Yo Ma, Alarm Will Sound, and Regina Spektor, but that may not be analogous to the type of material you're listening to. Now guitars, that I can do. Let me grab some Greg Brown, Don Conoscenti, and Gillian Welch.

N

NewHTbuyer

Audioholic
When I compared the Ultras with the Philharmonic 2s (speakers designed by a classical cellist) I did notice a difference. The comment I made at the time was that the sounds from the Ultras sounded like they were coming from speakers while the Phils just sounded like instruments. So, I can see what you are getting at. It did not sound digitized or bad, just a touch less pure and natural. Now that I don't have the Phils to compare with, I do not notice it sounding unnatural. But, if your ear is sensitive to that type of sound, the Ultras may not be the best for you.

Shek5150

Shek5150

Audioholic
Opinions are like elbows...everyone should rest on their own. Audioholics is the perfect place for folks to share their experience. My videos are intended to be conversation starters, so thank you for participating.

I'm in the process of getting a projector setup, and then my next upgrade priority goes:

1) Speakers
2) AVR with Mult-EQ XT32
2) 2nd Sub
100) Fancy Cables :)

As I was thinking about other speaker options, both the Ascend and Aperion speakers came to mind. It's good to hear about your audition of each. Did you get the Ascends with the NRT tweeter? Obviously, this bumps them a few hundred over the comparable SVS model.
I did not, no reason, other than just not being familiar w/ the NRT tweeter. But I really did like the Ascends & I can only imagine they would have sounded that much better, I suppose.

S

SnowmaNick

Junior Audioholic
I saw this on a review about the Bristol show this year and thought I'd share. Apparently SVS was showing the Ultra Bookshelves in a walnut veneer over there. Nice looking finish, hopefully we'll get to see it here in the states.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis