Tip of The Day: Why Do My Speakers Sound Like They Are in a Tunnel?

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Do your speakers sound like they are in a tunnel, cave, bathroom, auditorium, or a similar location? If so, chances are that you have some type of DSP, or Digital Signal Processing, going on in your system. AV receiver manufacturers often include a number of different DSPs that are supposed to recreate the sound of a particular venue, but these modes can be distracting. Yamaha tends to be the king of DSPs, with options like Hall in Munich, Hall in Vienna, and The Roxy Theater. Their current flagship receiver, the RX-A3020, actually boasts a total of 23 different DSP programs! Check your A/V receiver settings to be sure you're running Dolby TrueHD / DTS HD without DSP processing if your experiencing undesirable results.

Discuss "Tip of The Day: Why Do My Speakers Sound Like They Are in a Tunnel?" here. Read the article.

B

BillDKattFL

Audiophyte
Yamaha 5 Channel Audio

The most commonly used DSP on my *** Yamaha *** receiver is 5 channel audio (Yamaha DSP variety). To my ears, it does a better job than Dolby (insert variety here) with both five channel and two channel audio, without the maintenance (switching).

However, as was implied in the article, most of the DSPs are indeed gimmicky.

C

Casey01

Enthusiast
Yamaha

I would agree with the Yamaha assessment. In particular, the fully adjustable movie theater soundfield modes in the Yamaha AVRs(especially the upper echelon Aventage units)along with the addition of PLIIX in the rear channels when necessary, to me anyway, gives a considerably better, more spacious and realistic theatrical experience than Dolby, DTS or even the Audyssey programs on their own PLUS with the appropriate equipment you can have a 9.2 configuration all of the time.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis