Tip of The Day: Keep Your System Cool

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
As most people are probably aware, the lifespan of electronics can be greatly improved by keeping temperature under control. Unfortunately, many of us are content to place a receiver/amp where it is convenient as opposed to where it can receive adequate ventilation, at least until it fails. Assuming you want your receiver in a cabinet, ensure that air flow is sufficient. While many so called home theater cabinets make little or no provision for ventilation, there are some models that take this factor into account. If you already own a cabinet that lacks proper ventilation and are concerned about heat buildup, a drill can come in quite handy; an inexpensive but good quality 120mm fan set to low speed can also improve air flow without adding significantly to background noise.

Discuss "Tip of The Day: Keep Your System Cool" here. Read the article.

J

JerryElbow

Enthusiast
PC fans definitely help

I saw a recommendation somewhere for using PC fans on top of other home electronics and was intrigued. I bought a power wart and adapter that went from an AC outlet to a Molex connector, found a very quiet, low speed 120mm fan and set it on my satellite receiver/DVR (which had a diagnostics screen showing the internal temperature). The DVR cooled down so much that I add a pair of fans to my rather warm-running Onkyo A/V reciver and got another power adapter and fan to go on the upstairs satellite receiver/DVR.

The upstairs satellite receiver/DVR recently died after several years of operation. The technician who came in and replaced it was actually surprised it had lasted that long as the particular model was known to have a short life span due to heat issues. He was amazed that my downstairs unit of the same model continues to chuck along with no issues.

I'm convinced that PC fans are definitely a great way to cool off your hot non-PC electronics and extend their lifespans!

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I modified my Ikea cabinet a bit (not pretty, but it got the job done) and got one of these to pop on top of my Onkyo receiver a while back:

115V AC Cooling Fan. 120mm x 25mm LS with Power Plug - Amazon.com

Before I did all this, my receiver would be too hot to touch after watching a movie; now while you won't mistake my cabinet for a refrigerator, nothing ever gets burning hot.

N

NRBQLou

Audiophyte
These inexpensive fans (they are packaged as a pair) really did the trick in my cabinet placed on top of a warm-running pre-pro - they also have a usb-powered version that's even less expensive.

Amazon.com: Coolerguys Dual Blower Fan Component Cooler with Manual Speed Control (Lite)

C

cptmorgemaker

Enthusiast
SO SO True so cheap and so good definitley must add these to mine

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
Just ordered a couple of these for less than $13 plus shipping. There made for laptops, but I am going to do a little re-engineering and see what results I can get.

Budabear

Budabear

Junior Audioholic
These fans are a great idea, I will have to check them out. I don't use my equipment much but it's worth having them just in case. I'm definitely going to put a few of them on my DLP TV.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
So, I'm going to get a few fans for my AVR, but another question comes to mind. What about venting the heat out of a closet? Do I just put a vent to the attic? I've got an opening at the bottom for cold air to get in, but the heat has nowhere to go. What would be the best way to get the heat out without an active vent? Just cut a hole and put a vent with a tube?

A

Adi Abadi

Audiophyte
I think putting cooling fan will create electromagnetic wave that can produce noise to the circuit in AV receiver. Is anybody know is it serious to the Av receiver circuit? does it affect the sound quality? Or we can neglect the electromagnetic wave produced by cooling fan.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis